Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
Eksalis
Eksalis began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-RP1
DPT-RP1 - device not pairing with Digital Paper App

Hi there,

I have just received my DTP-RP1 and am very excited.

However, having installed the software, when I try to pair the Digital Paper App with the reader, all I get is a message right after I plug the reader that says "Connecting to Digital Paper" (with a little rotating wheel telling me something is happening). The message appears for about 30 seconds before disappearing. Nothing more happens, and the device is not paired.

Any suggestion? I suspect this is a driver problem. I'm using Windows 7.

All help appreciated.
Eksalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Mike_
Mike_ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
I am also unable to pair on the DPT-RP1 with Windows 7 using the Sony Digital Paper app. I get the verification code displayed enter it back in app and it does nothing

I have tried system reset, hard reset via the pin hole.

This is the problem removing all the normal drag drop transfer, SD card, server access. It makes the device unusable
Mike_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
This is the problem removing all the normal drag drop transfer, SD card, server access. It makes the device unusable
Can't believe how Sony screwed such a great hardware.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Eksalis

It's working at home on my Macbook. Let's see if a software update fixes this.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
As a S1 owner I am really puzzled on why Sony removed so much functionality from RP1.

There is not even an option for RP1 to use a regular usb cable to upload documents?

There is only the Windows/Mac App to upload/download?
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
pauldsc
pauldsc began at the beginning.

Recently received DPT-RP1 and disappointed like others in this forum in being unable to pair device with Digital Paper App. Tried on several Windows 7 PCs.

Apparently this is affecting lots of users (see Sony forum threads [URL="https://community.sony.com/t5/Reader-Electronic-Reader/DPT-RP1-does-not-pair-with-Digital-paper-app-on-Mac/m-p/635921"] and [URL="https://community.sony.com/t5/Reader-Electronic-Reader/DPT-RP1-does-not-pair-on-a-Windows-7-PC/m-p/636245#M1949"].

Tried resetting device as one user suggested but this didn't work.

Can't find any solution or advice or update from Sony yet.
pauldsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:14 AM   #7
pauldsc
pauldsc began at the beginning.

Eksalis / Mike_

Did you have any joy pairing the DPT-RP1 with your PC yet?

If not, try disabling any Firewall and Anti-virus programs first.....
pauldsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Eksalis

I've got my DPT-RP1 paired up! Fixed it by getting a new computer (running Windows 10). Good timing - the new computer was coming anyway, but others may not be as lucky.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:48 AM   #9
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
I managed to pair to my Windows 7, but I did that after initially pairing to Windows 10. Try pairing to your old Win 7 and see if it works, now. That would be interesting if it does.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
I paired mine to a win10 PC, which worked fine. Trying to pair to a second win 10 PC at work, I get the exact same thing as reported in the OP. I don't even get offered installing the certificate. Has anyone found a workaround yet? I just want to be able to print to the RP1 at work.

Edit: I managed to connect mine following troubleshooting advice by Sony for Win7 PC's on their forum. I did things slightly differently, but basically the same:

(1) Unplugged USB cable from the DPT
(2) Uninstalled the Digital Paper app
(3) Checked if I needed to delete "C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Sony Corporation\Digital Paper App" (was already deleted)
(4) Rebooted
(5) Quit all unnecessary applications (I also killed an AnyConnect related process in the task manager, probably not needed)
(6) unplugged from network to be safe (don't like running without the firewall active, probably paranoid..), disabled firewall, disabled real time scanning for Defender
(7) Installed the Digital Paper app
(8) Rebooted
(9) Started the Digital Paper app
(10) Plugged in DPT to USB port directly on the laptop (not in any USB hubs or USB ports on my monitor). This time Digital Paper App successfully detected the DPT, and I was asked to install the certificate
(11) Re-enabled the firewall, re-enabled real time scanning in Defender

Last edited by JoeS; 09-22-2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: solved it!
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:35 AM   #11
mr.dave
mr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony dpt-rp1 (J)
Is there any solution for the pairing problem with a Mac? I am going crazy...

Last edited by mr.dave; 03-26-2019 at 02:49 AM.
mr.dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #12
helloworldbbd
helloworldbbd began at the beginning.

Device: rp1 dpt
i found a solution to the dpt rp1 not pairing. I installed a windows 10 64 bit os on vmware 14 and it paired then i was able to then pair with the host machine afterwards. Note it did not work with virtual box. I also install vmware tools and enabled usb access. I could not find a solution anywhere on the internet, so i decided to get this working as i only have one computer. Hope this helps guys.
helloworldbbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:32 AM   #13
xwolfi
xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.xwolfi knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kobo
If you're interested in the pairing process, some of us have reversed it at, for exemple my port of the python version in java: https://github.com/xpierrohk/Digital...erCommand.java

It is a bit mind-blowing (but it's a standard Diffie Hellman I suppose). Guys like us on linux have to re-code it ourselves, no help from Sony

Dunno if my tool work on windows, but if you're desperate you can help debug it there :s

Or that one should work: https://github.com/janten/dpt-rp1-py

The official app has this little annoyance that it tries a zeroconf by default, meaning it waits for a multicast packet on the network, which doesn't always work. Since the new firmware last week we can now setup the wifi directly from the reader, that should help a lot, since it's much easier on simple wifi zeroconf, than the USB thing, for which I actually have no idea how it works.

Last edited by xwolfi; 04-11-2020 at 12:35 AM.
xwolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #14
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwolfi View Post
If you're interested in the pairing process, some of us have reversed it at, for exemple my port of the python version in java: https://github.com/xpierrohk/Digital...erCommand.java
I just found your package, installed it on Debian Bullseye (11), and accessed my RP1 from Linux! I can now manage my DPT from Linux, and even mount it. I thought I had problems only with the whiteboard-html, until I figured out the url (0.0.0.0:xxxxx/frontend). I am just curious, why is whiteboard displayed at 90deg c.w? could you give us an option to display portrait or landscape?
I also thought I had a problem installing the CUPS_PDF (Virtual dpt Printer) in CUPS (2.3.1). I chose the Generic Print to Digital Paper, but received the following error:
Code:
Unable to add printer:
    Bad device-uri scheme "cups-pdf"
The printer was installed, and it works!

All I can say is: THANK YOU!!!
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote