Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
homura_no_ko
homura_no_ko began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini4 (Marvin3), Windows 10 laptop
EPUB 3 calibre edited-polished metadata not recognized in app

Hi folks!

I need advice on a problem I haven't been able to solve for a long time.
I've got EPUB 2 as well as EPUB 3 (differs by publisher) files in my Calibre library.
In there, I edit metadata, embed, polish x2, and save, then I use iTunes to drop the files to my iPad's Marvin 3 reader app.

OK, now here's the problem:

Once I finish editing metadata in Calibre and load the files in the Marvin app, nothing wrong with EPUB 2 metadata, but when it comes to EPUB 3...
Marvin won't show the new metadata in EPUB 3.

To be exact:
Title - shows as edited
Title sort - shows as edited
Author - shows as edited most of the time (sometimes the field lists illustrator, translator, editor, etc. - which I don't need)
Author sort - not correct, shows as 'Name Last Name' but should be 'Last Name, Name'
Series and number - is EMPTY!!! (especially important field to me)

So WHAT exactly should I do so those Author Sort / Series and Number show up as they should?

If possible, write me the exact steps I should make.
...I have Sigil installed if necessary. Though, I'm a total Sigil beginner.

*Polishing I use (selected options):
Polish - update metadata in book files; update the cover; remove a previously inserted book jacket
Modify e-pub - strip Kobo DRM remnants; remove all metadata jackets; update metadata; remove non dc: metadata elements
homura_no_ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Get marvin to support the epub 3 standard properly or stick to epub 2, you cn do an epub to epub conversion in calibre to convert epub 3 to epub 2
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
homura_no_ko
homura_no_ko began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini4 (Marvin3), Windows 10 laptop
As I don't get how I could get Marvin to support epub 3 metadata,
and I consider converting 3->2 as a last resort.

So, I'd rather like to know how to tweak the metadata?
homura_no_ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by homura_no_ko View Post
?
I think the idea was to open bug reports / enhancement requests with Marvin support
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by homura_no_ko View Post
and I consider converting 3->2 as a last resort.

So, I'd rather like to know how to tweak the metadata?
Marvin does not support ePub 3 metadata.

It seems that support for Marvin has stopped so getting such a major change to be made (IMHO) is not going to happen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre 5.11, epub 3, marvin 3, metadata