Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Kobo won't connect to a PC anymore

My Kobo H2O has started exhibiting the following problems when connecting to a pc.

1) It doesn't register the USB connection at all.
2) It brings up the connect popup on the Kobo but the connect button does not register.
3) When it did connect to calibre sucessful invariably it would fail the connection before I could send any books, with an "error communicating with device" message on calibre, but yet my Kobo would spend ages importing content when nothing was sent to the device.

I've now done a factory reset and am at problem number 1, so I can't send any books to it.

Has anyone any ideas whats going on? I did have an SD card installed and a lot of books on the device so i was hoping after a factory reset it would be fine, but its not.

Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
No solution, just letting you know I am having the same problem with my H202 and KA1. I connect the Kobo to the computer (have tried 4 different cables with 3 different computers (one running Windows 7, one running Windows 8.1, and one running Windows 10). Most of the time the Kobo connects ok and I can see it in File Explorer. Calibre will get the list of books on the device (most of the time), and sometimes I can even transfer one or more books. But many, many times it loses the connection in the middle of the transfer and I have to disconnect, reboot the computer, reconnect the Kobo, let the computer scan the device and "fix" it, and start the entire process over again. The same USB ports can see flash/thumb drives and other cabled USB devices just fine; only the Kobo H202 and KA1 have this continuing problem. Sometimes after a round of connecting, losing the connection, disconnecting, rebooting, etc. I get the "USB device not recognized" error, so I start again by rebooting the computer, etc. etc. etc. Something is going on ONLY with Kobo devices, and I am beyond frustrated.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I don't have anything constructive to offer, but I'm also getting an "error communicating with device" message at Calibre when I connect my H201. However, everything seems to be working still, at least so far, in terms of adding books and shelving them. I did try deleting all books I added in the past few weeks just in case one was corrupted.

I'm still running 3.19.5761 on the device. My other Kobos with later firmware aren't exhibiting this issue.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My Kobo H2O has started exhibiting the following problems when connecting to a pc.

1) It doesn't register the USB connection at all.
2) It brings up the connect popup on the Kobo but the connect button does not register.
3) When it did connect to calibre sucessful invariably it would fail the connection before I could send any books, with an "error communicating with device" message on calibre, but yet my Kobo would spend ages importing content when nothing was sent to the device.

I've now done a factory reset and am at problem number 1, so I can't send any books to it.

Has anyone any ideas whats going on? I did have an SD card installed and a lot of books on the device so i was hoping after a factory reset it would be fine, but its not.

Thanks
Kind of leads me to think a cable or USB port (on the device or the computer) problem.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My H2O works perfectly with Windows 10 & Windows 7. But I did pick up a USB cable the other day that caused the H2O to have a flakey connection to the computer. I was too lazy to go upstairs and get the cable I usually use. But once I got the cable I normally use, I was good to go.

I've plugged into USB 2 & USB 3 ports with no problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Kind of leads me to think a cable or USB port (on the device or the computer) problem.
Its happening with four computers and multiple leads, which leads me to believe its the device or the KOBO OS/Calibre OS
Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't have anything constructive to offer, but I'm also getting an "error communicating with device" message at Calibre when I connect my H201. However, everything seems to be working still, at least so far, in terms of adding books and shelving them. I did try deleting all books I added in the past few weeks just in case one was corrupted.

I'm still running 3.19.5761 on the device. My other Kobos with later firmware aren't exhibiting this issue.
My kobo is running the latest software.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
have you tried jiggling the USB connector at the Kobo end in case it's the USB port?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
have you tried jiggling the USB connector at the Kobo end in case it's the USB port?
It's not the port or the cable. I've tried different ports (both USB 2 and 3), with different cables, on multiple computers, each running a different variation of Windows. The Kobo connects, then something times out and I lose the connection. With OTHER devices (my android tablet or phone, for example), using the same ports, same cables, same computers--works fine every time.

Edited to add: Yes, I've tried jiggling the cable at the Kobo end, but no joy. And this is with two different Kobo devices--a KA1 and the H202. Same problem with both.

And another edit: I thought it might be a problem with the USB ports going to sleep after a certain period of non-use, so I set them to stay awake, but that didn't help either.

Last edited by icallaci; 08-03-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
WLo
WLo began at the beginning.

Device: Aura HD
This solved it for me when I had the same problem a while ago

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-8089dfdbb0bf
WLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for all your advice. I managed to get my H20 connected to calibre and transferred 599 books (according to Calibre) after removing the SD card. Unfortunately the front screen says I have 481 books (but I think that includes the non downloaded Kobo purchases) but the settings say I only have imported 158 books.

So as you can see I am totally fed up and confused.

I'm going to park the kobo in a drawer and forget about it, it's far too much trouble, I'll go back to reading on my Kindles. I won't ever by a Kobo ereader again.

And to add to the mess I have two kobo books in my library on my device with no download button. According to my kobo website library one is listed, but I need to rebuy it, and the other isn't in my kobo website library at all. I know I bought both books from kobo as I have the downloaded ePub safely stored but I can't prove it as my purchase history will not display, I just get an error message.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLo View Post
This solved it for me when I had the same problem a while ago

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-8089dfdbb0bf
Only one of my pc's is windows 10. I get the same issues on Windows 7 and a Mac.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't know how to solve the problems reported. One of the reasons is because there are not enough details. Reporting that calibre displays the message, "error communicating with device" is almost completely useless. This will be displayed for a lot of different reasons. You need to look at the detailed message to get a better idea of what is happening.

For example, JosieB's first report sounds like the database was corrupt. My guess is that the database got corrupted and she added books afterwards. These were processed into the memory list of books, but could not be written to the database. Now, at disconnect, the database is reloaded and books are missing and have to be reprocessed. That's an educated guess. Seeing the details of the message would tell me if that was the likely reason.

Issybird's report also suggests a corrupt database, but probably in a different part of the database and a less severe problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
icallaci
Guru

I don't think my problem is due to a corrupt database, because when the Kobo actually does connect and I am able to use the Kobo Utilities to check the database, it always reports OK. Windows 7 is most consistently able to connect and keep the connection (only has a problem maybe 25% of the time), Windows 8.1 and 10 are terrible, sometimes as much as 75% of the time. Next chance I get to fight with...sorry, to connect one of my Kobos, I'll try to capture the actual error behind "Error communicating with device."
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I don't think my problem is due to a corrupt database, because when the Kobo actually does connect and I am able to use the Kobo Utilities to check the database, it always reports OK. Windows 7 is most consistently able to connect and keep the connection (only has a problem maybe 25% of the time), Windows 8.1 and 10 are terrible, sometimes as much as 75% of the time. Next chance I get to fight with...sorry, to connect one of my Kobos, I'll try to capture the actual error behind "Error communicating with device."
I didn't comment on the reason for your problem as I had no idea, but, no it isn't likely to be a corrupt database. I have seen reports like it and it always feels the USB connection is being over stressed and failing. If that is write, it could be the hardware in either the PC or device, or the drivers in either place. I've never come up with a way to fix it. But, I would like to see the error to see if there is a common place in communications with the device that fails.

The main problem I see with the USB connection is combination of bad design, a little clumsiness and a well used USB socket. On my laptop, the USB sockets are on the sides towards the front. There are two on the left and one on the right. I frequently hit anything plugged in with my hand while using the laptop. This can be enough to disconnect the device for a few moments and then connect again. When that happens, Windows will usually report an "unknown device" and calibre will report an error. And a lot of the time the port stops working until I reboot. Sometimes just restarting the device will work, but mostly I need to restart everything.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote