Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 07-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Enjoying the new Marvin, except for this highlight problem.

It's unpredictable, but sometimes when I highlight text Marvin will suddenly zoom many pages up (in vertical scroll mode).
This happens when I do four finger gesture swiping from Marvin then back to Marvin also. Although in this case where it scrolls to is much further back, nearly 1/3 of the book back.
Has anyone else experienced either?

Last edited by bounce; 07-13-2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: word
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
There's a similar bug in pagination (horizontal) mode as well. Especially when you try to select/highlight a word close to the right or left edge of the screen, Marvin will, sometimes, suddenly switch to the following or previous page(s)/screen(s)... and you have to start selecting all over again. Sometimes I need to start selecting in the middle of the screen (even though I don't need to select anything there), because it's "stable" there, and then I narrow the selection back towards the edge of the screen – a rather time-consuming workaround, but it's usable.

Overall, though, highlighting is a lot more stable in Marvin 3 than it used to be in previous Marvin versions. In those, highlighting across paragraph or page/screen boundaries used to be impossible, or a huge struggle, and such highlights straddling paragraph/page boundaries sometimes even used to vanish without a trace (!) from the highlights list later on... There are no such problems in Marvin 3, and apart from the bug discussed above, highlighting works very smoothly in Marvin 3.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
Maybe a long press on the section triggering a "lock mode" before highlighting would fix this issue. That's just off the top of my head.
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
It's unpredictable, but sometimes when I highlight text Marvin will suddenly zoom many pages up (in vertical scroll mode).
This happens with me quite often, and in regular page mode.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spfamy1 View Post
Maybe a long press on the section triggering a "lock mode" before highlighting would fix this issue.
Possibly, but if this safety precaution were made available, it should be optional. I'm a heavy highlighter (I sometimes have a dozen highlights on a single screen of text), so if I were forced to long-press prior to making each highlight, this would be too time-consuming. I've just learned to live with this bug by circumventing it in the manner mentioned above (starting the selection towards the "safe" central area of the screen, whenever possible).
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #6
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Me too have problems and suspected others might. Like iBooks, I think the way is to have minimum margins of some size, smaller than iBooks, limit page turn taps to the margins, and perhaps limit gestures over the text area to things that act on the text like selection, highlighting (one finger drag?), zoom images, single tap dictionary like eInk readers, etc. IBooks possibly made the choice becsuse it is unpredictable.

Last edited by democrite; 07-14-2016 at 06:23 AM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
This is still happening for me in vertical scroll mode after making the margins narrower and it's killing flow. I sent a bug report, but didn't hear back. Has anyone found a sort of best practice to avoid this issue?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #8
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@bounce I'm working on something to make it better. Sorry for the delay in responding to emails - I'm still catching up.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Like iBooks, I think the way is to have minimum margins of some size, smaller than iBooks
No, definitely not. iBooks's worst weakness is the inability to reduce page margins, and one of Marvin's strongest features is the converse ability to reduce page margins to absolute minimums. Let's keep it that way, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
perhaps limit gestures over the text area to things that act on the text like selection
Definitely not – another disastrous proposal. I don't know why nearly all of your proposals for Marvin, democrite, involve limiting and reducing Marvin's current functionality. If anything, Marvin's current functionality needs to be expanded, not limited and reduced. I believe you're looking for some other e-reader software, perhaps – one whose functionality would be sufficiently limited for your taste.