Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #46
Lars_G
Crazy but usseable.
Lars_G began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus One
I second, third and fourth the suggestion of Neal Stephenson's diamond age, it is science fiction with a few steampunk elements, but it's one of the most powerful, inspiring, awe inspiring books I've read in my entire life.
Lars_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #47
Lars_G
Crazy but usseable.
Lars_G began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That was going to be my suggestion as well.....well not to read his report...but to suggest "The Windup Girl"
Also sci fi with a few steampunk elements, very very good book, depressing but also refreshingly realistic in it's lack of happy endings. I named one of my phones Jaidee after the character in the book (extremist and all, he was loyal to his view)
Lars_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #48
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_G View Post
Also sci fi with a few steampunk elements, very very good book, depressing but also refreshingly realistic in it's lack of happy endings. I named one of my phones Jaidee after the character in the book (extremist and all, he was loyal to his view)
Also, having spent some time in Thailand, the places and particularly the people ring true.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #49
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Vandermeer has also put out a second Steampunk anthology and a Steampunk bible.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #50
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series (though it does have vampires and other supernaturals in it)
thanks for recommending these-really well done. I'm in the middle of the 2nd book and can't wait to see what Carriger pulls out of her hat next! very enjoyable

...well, 2 was great but she faltered a bit in the 3rd book. I'm waiting for the release of 4 to see where she takes the series next. still and all a 'recommend' from me...

Last edited by bert501; 04-16-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: to update my opinion after reading books 2 & 3
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #51
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I can recommend The Wake of the Dragon by Jaq D. Hawkins. It's a fun adventure story about airship pirates.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote