Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur
JeffGeorge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Nook 7" Space Issue

My Nook 7" has reached the point where it can't even download a system update. It's bad enough that the Android OS takes up 4.7 GB of space, but the internal storage has used 2.97 of 3.3 GB. I have an almost empty 14 GB SD card in the device, but the problem is that nothing in those 2.97 GB of internal storage can be moved as it's all Android or Nook related. How am I supposed to get this system update?
JeffGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Have the same issue. Even after removing every single non-Nook app that I could, there is still not enough room for it to download a system update. It will not let me remove Android apps whether I use them or not.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur

I don't even know where else to reach out for help on this. I tried calling their tech support once and it was one of the most worthless experiences of my life.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Again, same here. They kept telling me my Nook reader couldn't do things that the manual and their own site said it could. I knew the tablet didn't have much memory, but I thought it had enough to run itself, plus, I did not know that some apps would not stay on the SD card.

Last edited by tas03; 06-22-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Words left out of original
Old 06-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I haven't done much with Android for awhile, but does disabling apps give you any more memory? I'm trying to find out if this tablet can be rooted, but it doesn't appear that it can be (at least not where I've looked).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I haven't done much with Android for awhile, but does disabling apps give you any more memory? I'm trying to find out if this tablet can be rooted, but it doesn't appear that it can be (at least not where I've looked).
The apps I've been looking through on the internal storage are things likeAndroid System WebView, Google, Good Play services, Chrome, etc. Will disabling them have any negative effects on the Android system?
Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #7
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur

In addition, there are a lot of things with small usage of space that by themselves take up next to nothing, but there are just too many of them.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGeorge View Post
The apps I've been looking through on the internal storage are things likeAndroid System WebView, Google, Good Play services, Chrome, etc. Will disabling them have any negative effects on the Android system?
I don't know for sure, but I think some of these applications in Android can have the updates removed – and some of them use quite a bit of memory (like Google Maps and maybe Chrome). I think the original apps stay and the updates just take up added space. Once the update is completed, you should be able to re-update the apps to the current releases. I think disabling apps also helps.

That said, this is a really stupid design flaw. Barnes & Noble is going to have to figure out how to work around it – probably by breaking the upgrade up into two parts.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur

Or let you move them to the SD card.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Did you try using Adoptable Storage by formatting the SD Card as internal Storage?

https://9to5google.com/2016/11/29/ho...table-storage/
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
tas03
Zealot

I have, and it didn't make any difference. Many apps cannot be moved to the SD card even when it is internal storage, and some of the ones that can be disappear when the tablet is started up the next time.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
I have, and it didn't make any difference. Many apps cannot be moved to the SD card even when it is internal storage, and some of the ones that can be disappear when the tablet is started up the next time.
Same here. There doesn't seem to be anyway to get extra space on the internal storage.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGeorge View Post
Or let you move them to the SD card.
That would be something Google would have to change with Android. When I used an Android phone, I was able to root it and move some of the programs to the microSD card, but even then a lot of the programs would only partially move over (and some not at all).
Old 08-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #14
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur

Anyone have any success with this yet? I took my Nook into the B&N near me and worked with the technician there. We deleted everything we possibly could from the internal storage and it still wasn't enough, so I decided to deal with Barnes & Nobles completely incompetent customer service. Here is what they sent me. It's quite entertaining.

Quote:
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please try to perform a hard reset on your NOOK Tablet 7. Then, try to update the software version again.

A hard reset accomplishes the same result as a factory data reset, but is initiated by pressing physical buttons on NOOK Tablet 7".

1. Power the device OFF.
2. While off, press and hold Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously to open the Android Recovery screen.
3. When the device begins to power back on, release all buttons.
4. You are now in Android System Recovery Mode.
5. Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate to the wipe data/factory reset option, then press the Power button to select.
6. Use the volume down button to navigate to the "Wipe data/factory reset" option, press Power to select.
7. The device will restart and you will begin the initial setup of the device just like a brand new unit.

Note: Wi-Fi connection is needed to register your NOOK Tablet 7 again.
When I asked them what good resetting the device to the applications that are already on it they replied with this:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing us back.

On behalf of the company, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you are unable to install the v1.0.2 update for your NOOK Tablet 7" due to a lack of storage space, you will need to delete personal content from the device such as pictures, music, or video files. The device needs a minimum of 920MB to download and install the update.

To check the available storage space on your device, go to Settings > Storage & USB. Internal storage used cannot exceed 2.38GB of 3.30GB

To delete content, back-up your personal files, then:

1. Access File Manager
2. Tap on Internal Storage
3. Select content to delete by pressing and holding on the folder/file to be deleted (multiple items can be selected at one time)
4. Tap on the trash bin icon on the top right corner of the screen
5. Tap on OK

Recheck the memory available in Settings > Storage & USB.

Once you have enough memory, please follow these steps:

1. Check for the Notification to upgrade to v1.0.2 (notification with the Purple icon)
2. If the update notification is not available, tap on the multi-tasking icon at the bottom navigation bar (the square icon). The Software Update screen should be in the accessed apps.
3. If you have cleared the recently accessed apps, and the Software update screen is not available, try rebooting the device by turning it off, and then back on. Upon restarting, the device should begin to update to v1.0.2.
4. If the above steps fail, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK, or by using the Contact Us section at help.barnesandnoble.com.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us back and we would be grateful to assist you.
When I explained to them again that I had already removed everything that could be removed they came up with this nugget of wisdom:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing us back.

We understand you have a NOOK Tablet 7" and you are having difficulties to install the latest software version of the device. We have an out-of-warranty exchange program which helps you to trade-in your current device for another NOOK tablet or reader at a discounted price.

To take advantage of this program, we ask that you call us at 1-800-THE-BOOK and follow the options for NOOK, and then choose the prompt for the device you would like as an upgrade. You will need your credit card with you so that we can process your request quickly.

We hope this is helpful. On behalf of the company, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Completely worthless employees.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I have a 32 gig card set up as adoptable storage. I disabled the following apps:
Google Play Movies & TV
Hangouts
Chrome
Google Play Games
MapsYT Kids

I moved any other apps to the SD Card (granted I only have three apps Media Monkey, OfficeSuite, and Dolphin).

Doing this I have over 1 gig available for internal storage..
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote