Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Wallace, Lew: Ben-Hur A Tale of the Christ v1 2.Jan.2009

Christian fiction.
Wikipedia Excerpt:

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ is a novel by Lew Wallace published on November 12, 1880 by Harper & Brothers. Wallace's work is part of an important sub-genre of historical fiction set among the characters of the New Testament. The novel was a phenomenal best-seller; it soon surpassed Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852) as the best-selling American novel and retained this distinction until the 1936 publication of Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind. In 1912, Sears Roebuck published one million copies to sell for 39 cents apiece: the largest single-year print edition in American history. The book was also the first work of fiction to be blessed by a Pope.

Plot summary:
The central character is Judah, prince of the Hebrew house of Hur. Judah grows up in Jerusalem, during the turbulent years around the birth of Christ. His best friend is Messala, a Roman. As adults Judah and Messala become rivals, each hating the other, which leads to Judah's downfall and eventual triumph. Elements of the story include leprosy, naval battles among galleys, the Roman hippodrome, Roman adoption, Magus Balthasar, the Arab sheikh Ilderim.

v2 out, better intending, and pragraph brakes
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Lew Wallance - Ben-Hur; A Tale of the Christ v2.lrf (841.2 KB, 1223 views)

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-04-2009 at 10:24 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You may also find this version, posted by Harry, here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10771

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the greatest of respect ProDigit - and to thank you for your postings, thus increasing our Spiritual section - may I make a few suggestions, please:

1) Have you tried indenting the first line of each paragraph for easier reading? If you don't like indenting - and some readers don't rely on this visual que - then I would like to add this second suggestion:

2) Perhaps separating each paragraph with a space would make your work a little easier to read.

Again, thank you for your contributions.

Don
Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your feedback!
I will definitely think of creating paragraph spaces!
In fact some of my books already support this.

Ben hur is a big book,and the original had paragraph spaces which bookdesigner automatically removed. Any suggestions? (since on this book it would take a lot of time in bookdesigner)

As far as the intending, the lines are intended with 1 or 2 pt.
The standard setting of 4 to 5 pt gives problems in the TOC; hyperlinks in the TOC have an underscore line of a few pt before the word.
I tried removing that by reducing the intending.
Any ideas about how to improve this are very welcome.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Thank you for your feedback!
I will definitely think of creating paragraph spaces!
In fact some of my books already support this.

Ben hur is a big book,and the original had paragraph spaces which bookdesigner automatically removed. Any suggestions? (since on this book it would take a lot of time in bookdesigner)

As far as the intending, the lines are intended with 1 or 2 pt.
The standard setting of 4 to 5 pt gives problems in the TOC; hyperlinks in the TOC have an underscore line of a few pt before the word.
I tried removing that by reducing the intending.
Any ideas about how to improve this are very welcome.
1) The underlines you're talking about is a problem. Most of us live with it - including me, now. At first, this bothered me no end. There is a way to fix it, but it's tedious and no one here seems to do it anymore.

2) In the "Options," and then under the word "Page," my setting is "10" for left/right/top/bottom

3) Under "Spacing Percentage," I have "Lines: 100" and "Word: 20"

4) I don't know html and this puts me in somewhat of a disadvantage with my fellow book uploaders.

5) Always try to find Html as your best first choice when you're uploading. I find this works the best, and with the minimal of fuss.

6) You can also manually create a TOC, when you find you have special needs.

Try these settings and then get back with me on your results. I'm always willing to help, but my ignorance level is extremely high!

Don
Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I found a way to get rid of the intending line before the toc in BD...

Basically it's formatting the TOC as "cite" or "text author".
Then separate the chapters by an 'enter'. you'll end up having a TOC that starts say 10-15% of the left margin though.(Probably depending on the intending of 'cite' or 'author'.

I could do it like this.

The problem gets editing the paragraph spaces.
I need to use the internal HTML editor (HTML Fragment Editor).
This program is very buggy, and often messes up my books, making me to reload them and start all over.
I can save the file as HTML,then edit them with an html editor (notepad++) and see if I can reload them or not...
I can, but often the layout will change since last time I created the file.
That's why I don't really like creating v1 and v2; because in real fact you have v0,edited in BD, saved as V1. And if there's anything in need of change, you need to restart from v0.
You might end up having a version (v2) with the problems of v1 corrected, but older issues that did not appear in v1 present in v2.
So v2 is not a real update on v1.

Anyone having ideas about editing the HTML in 'another than the fragment editor'-way, just let me know!

For now I'll use the fragment editor.
Basically what needs to be done there (for those interested) is show the whole bookcode, and change
Code:
</DIV>
, into
Code:
</DIV><DIV align=justify>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Then remove the spaces on chapters and pagebreaks.
I could also copy the content of the html fragment editor into a html editor, with better search and replace capabilities, and edit there.
Then later on paste the modified version into the HTML fragment editor, and apply.
I think the latter makes most sense.

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-03-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac

V2 Out!: Corrected issues above.(added paragraph spaces, and better intending. also set back the lettertype of the paragraph to 9pt,ad not bold).
Old 05-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #8
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
missing quotation marks?

Does this thing actually have something like quotation marks?
I don't see any, but maybe it's just a fault of callibre ...
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote