Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #16
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't bother with Linux, it's a heap of junk.

If anyone else has the problem like in the original post:

1. Run
Code:
regedit
and navigate to the
Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications
key.

2. Locate the name of the application that is not remembered, like
Code:
cr3.exe
3. Delete it. Now you should be able to associate it again.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #17
Burgess Meredith
Burgess Meredith began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
My understanding is that Linux has to be installed correctly, as it's structure is different than Windows.
The reason I inquired as to available space on drive C, I was going to suggest
running CCleaner>Defraggler>then NTREGOPT>then ERUNT for registry issues.
These are free programs. Speccy can also be handy to check for hardware issues.
Burgess Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #18
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Heyhey

"The Wedding" has come and gone, I was pretty neutral about it. as far as I'm concerned, they're just human and should be left alone to live their lives, though I do commend both William and Harry for their "almost normal" approach to life and feel for Megan having to sacrifice almost all of her opinions for the sakeof The Firm. I did 'glimpse' at some of the headlines (and pics for fashion's sake of course!). They do make a gorgeous couple who seem to be very much in love.

Rain today! All day. Bah humbug.

I haven't given up on my machine yet, can't afford to, I'll be putting up with it for months to come yet (hopefully anyway!). I had a mind to keep it once replaced as a second anyway, the idea of playing with linux is interesting. I knew it was an OS, but wasn't aware that you couldn't buy a machine with it pre-installed. The HD is a 500gb (well 465 really) and I only have 33.4 of space left so it's in the red. This fluctuates every now and then as I purge stuff and then re-DL.

What set-up do you have? Any recs on what I should look for when the money's available?
ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #19
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Don't bother with Linux, it's a heap of junk.

If anyone else has the problem like in the original post:

1. Run
Code:
regedit
and navigate to the
Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications
key.

2. Locate the name of the application that is not remembered, like
Code:
cr3.exe
3. Delete it. Now you should be able to associate it again.
Hi

What's wrong with Linux? Why is it "a heap of junk."?

Where do I run this code from? And how? I'm far from stupid, but please bear in mind I have no knowledge or experience with coding.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:05 AM   #20
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Press Win+R, type in "regedit", press OK.

Linux is a clone of UNIX, was made for university mainframes: big computers without keyboards or monitors, on which the students ran their programs connecting to them via phone cables.

As the modern personal computer is used by businesses and families, not by university students, and it has a keyboard, a mouse, a display unit, and has to run modern software, the Linux architecture is very inadequate, and it is impossible to turn it into a usable operating system like Windows.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #21
Burgess Meredith

Hi Ilove, Darn-I just spent an hour typing a reply to you then lost it. I didn't remember to use 2 tabs will have to try again later.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #22
Burgess Meredith

Hi Sarma,
Linux is a clone of UNIX, was made for university mainframes: big computers without keyboards or monitors, on which the students ran their programs connecting to them via phone cables.

As the modern personal computer is used by businesses and families, not by university students, and it has a keyboard, a mouse, a display unit, and has to run modern software, the Linux architecture is very inadequate, and it is impossible to turn it into a usable operating system like Windows.

Your information must be outdated. See here- linuxmint.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gerald_heard-the_riddle_of_the_flying_saucers-pulp cover.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	164221  
Old 06-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #23
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Press Win+R, type in "regedit", press OK...
What is WIN+R?
Old 06-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #24
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess Meredith View Post
Hi Ilove, Darn-I just spent an hour typing a reply to you then lost it. I didn't remember to use 2 tabs will have to try again later.
Hi Burgess it's been a while...

I totally feel you on that. I did that recently with a boojk review on GR that I felt really passionate about ... and lost the bloody lot!

The red machine is still holding up... for now

Hows things your end?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereading.com View Post
What is WIN+R?
Hold down the windows key (the one with a window on it) and press the R key

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #26
Burgess Meredith

Hi Ilove!
I'm O.K.
I haven't given up on my machine yet, can't afford to, I'll be putting up with it for months to come yet (hopefully anyway!). I had a mind to keep it once replaced as a second anyway, the idea of playing with linux is interesting. I knew it was an OS, but wasn't aware that you couldn't buy a machine with it pre-installed. The HD is a 500gb (well 465 really) and I only have 33.4 of space left so it's in the red. This fluctuates every now and then as I purge stuff and then re-DL.

What set-up do you have? Any recs on what I should look for when the money's available?

I'm currently using a Dell Latitude E5510 250Gig Hard Drive, Intel i5 4Gig memory. It is a refurbished machine ($230) and I'm entirely happy with it,
except I should have had him install 8Gig memory when he asked. I figured I didn't need it, as I don't play video games (except Chess which I installed)

If buying new, probably a laptop with a comfortable to use keyboard (a friend just bought a new laptop, the keyboard is barely usable, if one had to write War and Peace on it, suicide would be preferable) Also, see about hook up's or interface capabilities like, if you want to hook it up to your Telly, do you need a Midi, VGA etc. but there are work a rounds to that like seward dot com

Some machines have USB3 (firewire) to transfer data real fast to another machine or external drive.

I'd go with 8Gig Mem upgradable to 16. A 1T hard drive is probabley common now, but should you stick with a spinner (HDD) or go with a Solid State Drive? More expensive, but gawd is it fast! No boot up time, it just comes on instantly like flipping a light switch, Nutz! But I don't think you defrag them, and if you delete something it makes the "cell" where the file was stored unusable. Perhaps there have been improvements in this area.

I also have a slot to plug in a Sandisk SSD 20 Gig I think, which I use for backing up files like books and music.

Then you are going to want an external drive for back up, a 1 or 2T HDD you can partition.
But what if the external drive fails? Maybe you can make another back up to the cloud, Some seem to offer a lot of free space. Something to think about anyways.

Sorry for the delay,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Praying Kitten1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	164581  
Old 06-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #27
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Hold down the windows key (the one with a window on it) and press the R key

Dale
I did this and no cr3 showing, only cr2. It's odd as there are still a couple of cr3 files on the bloody thing, I can default epub files to it, but it just won't open.

I have been using sumatra but it's just not the same.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #28
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess Meredith View Post
Hi Ilove!
I'm O.K.

If buying new, probably a laptop with a comfortable to use keyboard (a friend just bought a new laptop, the keyboard is barely usable, if one had to write War and Peace on it, suicide would be preferable) Also, see about hook up's or interface capabilities like, if you want to hook it up to your Telly, do you need a Midi, VGA etc. but there are work a rounds to that like seward dot com

Some machines have USB3 (firewire) to transfer data real fast to another machine or external drive.

I'd go with 8Gig Mem upgradable to 16. A 1T hard drive is probabley common now, but should you stick with a spinner (HDD) or go with a Solid State Drive? More expensive, but gawd is it fast! No boot up time, it just comes on instantly like flipping a light switch, Nutz! But I don't think you defrag them, and if you delete something it makes the "cell" where the file was stored unusable. Perhaps there have been improvements in this area.

I also have a slot to plug in a Sandisk SSD 20 Gig I think, which I use for backing up files like books and music.

Then you are going to want an external drive for back up, a 1 or 2T HDD you can partition.
But what if the external drive fails? Maybe you can make another back up to the cloud, Some seem to offer a lot of free space. Something to think about anyways.

Sorry for the delay,
Hey. No worries.

LOL'd at War and Peace on your friend's keyboard!

I currently use a HDMI cable to hook up to my TV to watch some stuff on but I hate having to do that as it means the machine is out of use for other things. I do have an external 500gb HD (a USB3, have had it a few years!) but that's almost to it's limit too, so a new and bigger one of those is also on the list! I have been looking at SSD's too, but the space limit is an issue for me, as is having unusable space. I dl and delete fairly regularly, so I'd have to look into that.

When the time comes, I'd love a backlit keyboard but this really bumps the price up, USB3 would be nice but as there's not too many USB devices around yet (apart from my HDD which was way ahead of it's time) I don't think that it's a requirement. And don't mention my HDD failing, wouldn't be a case of bad new (aka broken tech devices) coming in 3's, I'd be at 5 aiming for 6!

Anyway this is all a moot point at the moment given my lack of funds, and also as soon as some cash is spare the first thing on my list is a new kobo given that the usb point on mine has failed! Thankfully it still charges but won't connect to a usb point on my laptop. My reading substrate has to come before anything else apart from my phone.

Anyway TTFN... off to chase some vampires