Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #286
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I don't want another one now, but I'm happy I probably won't have to order from Canada anymore. I see they have all the current models and the Kobo covers.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/kobo-erea...sories/3252253

Anybody have any experience with buying stuff from Walmart's website?
They're okay. It depends on what you buy. My mother likes them more than Walmart.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #287
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They're okay. It depends on what you buy. My mother likes them more than Walmart.
Anything is better than actually going into a Walmart Store.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #288
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post

Anybody have any experience with buying stuff from Walmart's website?
I've ordered a couple of times and had no issues. The orders were over $35 so the items arrived in two days.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #289
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, I guess it's only going to be 1,000 stores that have Kobo displays ... (there will be 3,500 that offer book cards).

https://news.walmart.com/2018/08/22/...iption-for-999

But at least you can get free 2 day shipping (or store pickup) so it's not terrible.
Darn, I was really hoping I could see and handle an Aura One and Clara
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #290
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
You gotta admit there is good people watching sometimes
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #291
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
You gotta admit there is good people watching sometimes
You don't even have to go to Walmart for that.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #292
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Yup, pretty much.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #293
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
it seems Walmart isn't holding up their end of the deal:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...elling-ebooks/

Anybody have a different experience?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #294
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
it seems Walmart isn't holding up their end of the deal:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...elling-ebooks/

Anybody have a different experience?
I posted these comments at Digital Reader ...

A couple comments. First, Walmart is currently contracting out the Kobo display maintenance to outside companies. Walmart employees aren’t even involved. (Doesn’t look like Walmart is getting their money’s worth.) Second, in April of 2019 Walmart plans to integrate the Digital eBook section into their floor plan (so the current situation is stop-gap — why not now? ... I have no idea). Third, I’m pretty sure the in-store display is more to make people aware of Walmart’s online Kobo eBook store. The idea is to compete against Amazon (who is almost entirely online).

Last edited by rcentros; 10-17-2018 at 06:07 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #295
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The idea is to compete against Amazon (who is almost entirely online).
I hear you, but they're also in every Best Buy, Target, Staples, Office Depot/Max among others, at least for devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:38 PM   #296
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
My Walmart has a half empty card display. The reader is there but is is not even plugged in or turned on.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #297
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Assuming your assumptions are correct (and I have no reason to think they aren't):

Quote:
First, Walmart is currently contracting out the Kobo display maintenance to outside companies. Walmart employees aren’t even involved. (Doesn’t look like Walmart is getting their money’s worth.)
That's not much of a defense. If Walmart really cares about the situation, they should rectify it. It's been two months.

Quote:
Second, in April of 2019 Walmart plans to integrate the Digital eBook section into their floor plan (so the current situation is stop-gap — why not now? ... I have no idea).
If you want your new department to be a success, do it right the first time. We're ramping up to the Christmas season. The displays should be better and employees should be trained.

Quote:
Third, I’m pretty sure the in-store display is more to make people aware of Walmart’s online Kobo eBook store. The idea is to compete against Amazon (who is almost entirely online).
The displays as they exist now are unlikely to build much interest. Oh, look! An empty display! If I'm lucky I'll find an employee who knows absolutely nothing about what's going on there.

If they cared (and I get the feeling kobo cares more than Walmart), how about some nicer displays up and running on day one and maybe a TV commercial or six?

Do you think when they bust out their Christmas decorations that will be done in the same slapdash fashion?

This isn't to pick on you. I hope your sunny outlook is the right one. But right now, I agree with Nate's assessment. Walmart doesn't seem to care much about selling e-books.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-18-2018 at 09:46 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #298
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Assuming your assumptions are correct (and I have no reason to think they aren't):
It's not assumptions, it's what was written to Walmart employees when these displays were first installed — though, I agree, it is pretty pathetic.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote