Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Chopchurch
Lurker
Chopchurch doesn't litterChopchurch doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7, Wikireader, G1
Undecided but close

Like the title states I prefer to lurk. I am currently up in the air when it comes to an eBook reader, I want the freedom to hack my own firmware and a multiplicity of formats, which is why I have been leaning towards the Smart Devices Q7, as a veteran Linux hacker it seems like the best option. But I also require long battery life, so after looking at the Cool-er Reader (I emailed a Cool-er rep and he assured me more formats were forthcoming), the BeBook, and an Astak EZReader at Buy.com, I find myself waiting for Goezebooks to launch so that I can buy an "Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro" (Hanlin V5). A shorter name would be nice, also one of the reasons I wanted an original Hanlin V3 was the fact that I loved the Chinese logo. But I am very cheap, and original V3's go for $400 on eBay, so a $200 reader was in my comfort zone. And if I don't like the firmware it comes with I'll just install OpenInkpot.

I think I'm going to save the Smart Q7 for X-Mas and pick it up with a Chuwi M70 from MP4 Nation as a gift to myself. I've been lurking here for a year and a half so that's probably what I will be doing most of the time.

Last edited by Chopchurch; 06-23-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Chopchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, chopchurch.

Interesting avatar.

City of brotherly love, eh?

Glad you came out of the woodwork.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, or jump in on conversations that interest you.

Lots of free books here, also....as you probably well know.

enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Chopchurch and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead!

This is a great source of information and free ebook downloads.

Enjoy!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
Chopchurch
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome, chopchurch.

Interesting avatar.

City of brotherly love, eh?

Glad you came out of the woodwork.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, or jump in on conversations that interest you.

Lots of free books here, also....as you probably well know.

enjoy.
Thanks! I've been getting most of my stuff from Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive and LibriVox, another option is always welcome. Thanks kaz and cassidy!
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopchurch View Post
Thanks! I've been getting most of my stuff from Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive and LibriVox, another option is always welcome. Thanks kaz and cassidy!
Okay..........try our books. You will notice a definite improvement. You can sort by genre, format, title or author.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	ewe090300318.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	31086 and welcome to the zoo. (please feed the animals.)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Attachment 31086 and welcome to the zoo. (please feed the animals.)
HEY! Lady Blue!! Everyone of your welcome posts has a fresh new welcome sign.

You are making the rest of us look bad!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
HEY! Lady Blue!! Everyone of your welcome posts has a fresh new welcome sign.

You are making the rest of us look bad!

Well, it keeps me from giving them a cookie-cutter welcome. Appropriate words often escape me.

Actually I do it to amuse myself . . . I'm easily entertained. (And who would I be without my attachments?)

Besides, I couldn't make you look bad DGM . . . you're special . . . Name:  cat_lazy.gif
Views: 237
Size:  6.4 KB I just love this cat.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Chopchurch
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Attachment 31086 and welcome to the zoo. (please feed the animals.)
Thanks Lady Blue!

If anyone on the forum uses Identi.ca I recently created an ebooks group here.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Well, welcome to the board- for lurking or posting
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote