Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Artemis

Just finished Andy Weir's new book, Artemis. That's how you follow up on a surprise best seller! I was worried that he was going to have the sophomore blues, but he really hit it out of the park. Highly recommended.

Now, start speculating about who is going to be cast for Jazz, because this is totally going to be a movie.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Somehow I missed this in my library's queue...I am number #67 on one list and #242 on another. Doh!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for reminding me!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
About a quarter of the way through and, apart from being confused early on when his protagonist turned out to be female, am very much enjoying it. Will submit a full report when I’m done.

Last edited by MickeyC; 11-16-2017 at 05:43 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some might consider that a tiny bit of a spoiler, if it was being done for effect.

EDIT: never mind, I see the 'she' pronoun is used quite extensively in all the various descriptions and blurbage. My bad.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went back and checked out some of the reviews. I suspect most of the reviewers don't really understand why the Martian was so popular. Story is the key. Does the story draw the reader in? Is it a book that someone would stay up late reading? Most popular writers tend to have a very specific voice that people like. Two books having the same voice isn't a bug, it's a feature. (I'm using voice to signify the basic feel of a book and set of characters)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You've tempted me. The Martian was one of the few books I've read in the last few years that I talked about for months after I read it - trying to recommend it to fellow readers.

Given that Weir wrote the book for his own amusement, had it available on his website (blog/Facebook - whatever, I didn't learn of it that way, but read about it later), then it went mainstream...I was afraid any follow up book would suffer for lack of time to tweak it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
You've tempted me. The Martian was one of the few books I've read in the last few years that I talked about for months after I read it - trying to recommend it to fellow readers.

Given that Weir wrote the book for his own amusement, had it available on his website (blog/Facebook - whatever, I didn't learn of it that way, but read about it later), then it went mainstream...I was afraid any follow up book would suffer for lack of time to tweak it.
I know what you mean. A number of authors have one good book in them. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case with Weir.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
An interview on NPR:

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/11/56327...ny-on-the-moon

(In the upper right, there is link to the audio interview).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Andy Weir needs to find a different publisher. This is yet another eBook that's unreadable without editing. Again free serif and free sans are embedded fonts. They are awful fonts. So if you read the ePub and have no way of editing or overriding these fonts, you're screwed by good.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-20-2017 at 09:35 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Andy Weir needs to find a different publisher. This is yet another eBook that's unreadable without editing. Again free serif and free sans are embedded fonts. They are awful fonts. So if you read the ePub and have no way of editing or overriding these fonts, you're screwed by good.
Funny ... I've not had a lick of difficulty. "Unreadable" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Funny ... I've not had a lick of difficulty. "Unreadable" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
I could find a professional to tell you how awful the embedded fonts are? The other thing is they aren't actually needed. All reading software has serif and san-serif fonts.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

One of the wonderful things about fonts is that you don't need a professional to tell you if it's unreadable or not.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
One of the wonderful things about fonts is that you don't need a professional to tell you if it's unreadable or not.
Free Serif is even a terrible font for an LCD display. It's too light and too thin. On eInk it's even worse. I am not a professional, so you are right. you don't need a professional can tell you the embedded font is not good at all.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Perfectly readable on my Sony.

And, now that I’m finished, I would describe it as a lunar version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo . And it was a very good read.

Last edited by MickeyC; 11-20-2017 at 04:26 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote