Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll certainly try it if I see it again.

After logging many hours over the weekend trying to get it to happen (with ProcessMonitor logging), I was utterly unsuccessful. After the three times, in quick succession, I saw it on Friday... nothing. Nada. It's maddening. I've come to the conclusion that having ProcessMonitor running is somehow actually preventing the race condition from ever happening. I have no other explanation. I can probably easily confirm that by hitting it hard again without ProcessMonitor running. But I'm afraid that if it happened as soon as I turned off the filesystem i/o logger, I might gouge my own eyes out! That would mean the only way I can replicate it would be to ensure that I can't debug it. ARGH!!! I'm not sure I want to find that out!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #47
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Please don't go too crazy over this!! I only mentioned it because it was an interesting find...not because it was essential. If it was something that essential you would hear me knocking on your door instead of just reading a post... lol
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #48
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This should be easy to fix by simply using atomic writes for the config file. i.e. have the code that writes the config file write to temp file and rename the temp file to the original after the write is complete.

The file system watcher should notify you about the rename and you are guaranteed that when the rename arrives, the file contents are updated.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-27-2017 at 01:39 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:38 AM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And of course to make it fully robust you have to make sure that the code that renames and the code that reads from the file retries on locking failures for a few seconds.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:58 AM   #50
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If this guess is true, then opening a third instance of Sigil and then adding something to the clip library should send a signal to the first two instances to reload. This should give it a chance of making the lost clips re-appear in the first instance.

Would someone who see this problem on Windows please try adding a couple of new instances of Sigil and then if one loads properly, edit the clips library to add something from it and see if that forces the other instances of Sigil to resync.
Just tried this, and it worked as you expected - editing the clip library in the new instance brought it back in the old one.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This should be easy to fix by simply using atomic writes for the config file. i.e. have the code that writes the config file write to temp file and rename the temp file to the original after the write is complete.

The file system watcher should notify you about the rename and you are guaranteed that when the rename arrives, the file contents are updated.
Thanks much for the suggestions, Kovid.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #52
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
When I open a new instance of Sigil, the first thing to appear is the Clip window (I've shrunk it to postage-stamp size so it doesn't impinge on the other windows.) It's rather eerie to see it hanging there like the smile on the face of the Cheshire Cat, in reverse, before his body pops into place.

But I have only seven clips.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote