Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think my daughter likes the idea of having the books with her wherever she takes her DS... which seems to be everywhere at the moment.

She's more of a manga fan than a reader at this point anyway. Looks like there's comic book reader software for the DS using the above shell, so it shouldn't be to hard to get some of her favorite titles on there (especially those that she's already purchased in paper).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #17
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
...My 7-yr-old daughter also wasn't too interested in reading on the DS Lite (she also has a REB 1100), but her "problem" is that she likes my REB 1200 too much to care for the small form factor on the DS Lite.
Just to prove the point, my 7-yr-old saw me scribbling on my REB 1200 for a work-in-progress ebook (see first few pictures below) and got the brilliant idea that maybe she too could scribble on MY REB 1200.

So after I was done, and unbeknownst to me, she drew me a picture that she later told me about, as she was heading off to bed.

The last picture below is her drawing (notice the bookshelf to the right FULL of books)!

Hopefully she's "got the bug" ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sir Francis Bacon, The Advancement of Learning [1605]._img_0.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	14411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sir Francis Bacon, The Advancement of Learning [1605]._img_1.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	14412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sir Francis Bacon, The Advancement of Learning [1605]._img_2.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	14413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sir Francis Bacon, The Advancement of Learning [1605]._img_4.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	14416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sir Francis Bacon, The Advancement of Learning [1605]._img_5.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	14417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sir Francis Bacon, The Advancement of Learning [1605]._img_453.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	14418  

Last edited by nrapallo; 07-16-2008 at 10:13 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #18
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's great! (And her drawings are better than mine on the iLiad. )
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
aw ! that's brilliant, nick.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
That's great! (And her drawings are better than mine on the iLiad. )
I know what you mean. It's hard even just writing with a stylus on a pressure sensitive screen (nowhere to place your palm without touching that screen); let alone drawing! My youngest has taken some art lessons and can draw better than I can... (left-brain / right-brain thing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
aw ! that's brilliant, nick.
My youngest was all smiles when see saw this post (her picture) on my computer. Even asked me how I did that! I was tempted to show her the post about Extracting markups (annotations and highlites) from your ebook!, but all I said was "I just did!" and she bought it! So easy to get away with it when they are this young...

My oldest is attending art camp for this week and learning Flash 2-D animation. She has a project she is working on with three other classmates. It sounds good so far. I'll post it here when she's done, just to see her reaction!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Just wanted to mention that I've updated the wiki page for reading ebooks on the DS after finally getting around to setting up my daughter's to read books. There is one tricky bit, finding the right software to match the homebrew cartridge, that I've provided some helpful links for. Update is here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Nintendo_DS

I went with DSlibris for the ePub support and the portrait, book-like orientation.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #22
nothatkind
nothatkind is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1
I've been reading ebooks with my Ds for almost one year now...
I've recently bought a Sony PRS-600 and love it... but I miss my "two pages" view with DSlibris!!!
nothatkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
yche09
hugs.kisses.xoxo
yche09 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Astak pocket pro, Nintendo DS Lite, PSP
ds lite for a reader

I have been reading books with my nintendo ds lite (and sometimes, my psp) for a year now. I love it that i can bring it anywhere because the size is super handy. But then it affected my eyes (i read and read and rarely stop it becomes a problem already). So now i will be ordering an astak pocket pro just to save my eyes. But i still love my ds reader..
yche09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
yche09

Welcome to mobileread
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #25
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I thought I should mention a limitation I have encountered with DSLibris-- it can only display about 30 books in its library. You can load more into the homebrew cart, but only the first 30 (maybe 31) will show. Kind of frustrating.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #26
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
This is a very helpful thread. Thanks!
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #27
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I sold my DS-Lite and switched to the DSI-XL. What a difference in screen size. I am now using the ez-flash Vi cartridge with an 8 gig micro-sdhc card. Yes it is bigger than the ds-l but still very portable. No hacking involved, just load it up with the os and then add the apps or video/mp3/epubs/txt files you want. Battery life is decent too and the little speakers sound very good but cannot compare with headphones.

I use DSLibri, DSOrganize, DS-Notes, and the new moonshell release provides an audio recorder.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindles, iPad,Note 8, Note 3, iPhone 5,Sony 350& T1, Entourage PE & EE
I put DS Libris on my Nintendo DS Lite yesterday. I am really impressed with it. I find it very easy to read. I don't know how much I will use it since I have so many other devices that will read e-books, but I really did enjoy reading on it yesterday. Thank you to all of you who gave information about it.
ilovegadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
DS Libris is good, but ikureader is the best ebook reader for DS.

http://code.google.com/p/ikureader/
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #30
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Musashi - Until now I was not even aware of ikureader. I installed it on my NDSi-XL and I would have to agree with you. I like the idea that it supports ePub, txt and FB2 formats.
It has a very good set-up menu with a lot of control. It has a very good "search option" and I really like the ability to navigate the file structure of the micro-sdhc card. This should allow you to set-up categories such as authors etc.

I am just new to it so I haven't confirmed everything I just stated but at a quick glance I do not see why it wouldn't support various folder categories.

Thank you very much for the link.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote