Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Who's Doing Black Friday? (a US thing)

Well, Black Friday will soon be upon us. The traditional day after Thanksgiving sale to launch Christmas shopping season is just a month away (Nov 25th).

Who plans on going out and fighting the long lines and crowds? or will you stay home and do the internet shopping bit?

Years ago, I used to hit the lines. I remember showing up at Circuit City one year at around 3am and was amongst the first ten in line. Those days are long gone. Now you need to be in line on Thanksgiving day if you expect that kind of placement at one of the big stores.

Slowly I've been staying home and doing the internet thing. Last year, I did all my shopping online and plan on doing the same this year.

Don't need much this year. Big on my list will be 16GB and 32GB mSD cards. I may even venture out to Fred Meyer (Northwest grocery/department store chain owned by Kroger) to get some half-price socks while munching on free donuts and juice.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Aussie here and I have it marked down in my calender ready for the online Bluray sales last year I spent too much and will probably do so again
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Aussie here and I have it marked down in my calender ready for the online Bluray sales last year I spent too much and will probably do so again
Did you get many that you really wanted and which websites did you hit?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I'm limited over here by who will ship to us for a resonable price so generally I get most of my stuff from amazon but also keep an eye on DeepDiscount.com (Amazon usually pricematch them anyway) and Barnes & Noble(in case the have a Criterion disc sale)
Last years best bargain was probably the Mad Men Seasons on Blu for $10 each
I don't think last years discounts were as good as the year before but am hoping for some good sales this year as I have quite a few titles sitting in my wishlist.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Thanksgiving was like two weeks ago
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I'm limited over here by who will ship to us for a resonable price so generally I get most of my stuff from amazon but also keep an eye on DeepDiscount.com (Amazon usually pricematch them anyway) and Barnes & Noble(in case the have a Criterion disc sale)
Last years best bargain was probably the Mad Men Seasons on Blu for $10 each
I don't think last years discounts were as good as the year before but am hoping for some good sales this year as I have quite a few titles sitting in my wishlist.
I know what you mean about last year. It was a bust for me too. With the economy the way it is, I'm hoping for some really good sales this year to entice shoppers to buy.

Best of luck
Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Thanksgiving was like two weeks ago
Yer outta step. You guys need to align your Thanksgiving with ours.

Do you ever venture down to Washington?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Internet shopping is very popular here. I can't stand "going shopping", especially during the busy shopping season (such as Saint Nicohlas and Christmas). But we already know what we'll buy for Christmas this year, and we also know what shop to go to. So, it'll probably be: park the car, walk to the shop, hang in that shop for way too long, and then go home with the new kitchen machine to match the blender I got last year.

(the reason why we'll hang out in the shop too long is because it's a "kitchen" shop, if they don't have what you want, you'll probably won't be able to get it anywhere )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yer outta step. You guys need to align your Thanksgiving with ours.

Do you ever venture down to Washington?
It's pretty hard to celebrate harvest when all the farm equipment and root vegetables are covered in three feet of snow.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's pretty hard to celebrate harvest when all the farm equipment and root vegetables are covered in three feet of snow.
Don't worry, global warming will cure that pesky snow in a few years
Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
NEVER!!! I try hard to not even go out for groceries that day!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I stay away from the stores all weekend and only shop weekday mornings until Christmas.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I will keep an eye on the Amazon online Black Friday deals ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I hate shopping with the hoardes and so always avoid that weekend. But this year, my wife and kids want to drive to the Mall of America (we'll be in Iowa at the time). I'm dreading it but will dutifully smile and be positive the entire time.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I hate shopping with the hoardes and so always avoid that weekend. But this year, my wife and kids want to drive to the Mall of America (we'll be in Iowa at the time). I'm dreading it but will dutifully smile and be positive the entire time.
Find the food court & park!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote