Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #571
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I could manage the pages on screen thing (it does show up elsewhere, so why not on the reading screen), but not being able to go to a particular page is still a problem - yes I could use bookmarks, but that seems like an awkward workaround for something like a slider. Moon + is so rich in other features that it just seems odd not to have something like that. That's why there are so many ereading applications, so we can each find one we like. Bookari is great for me, except for the 10% or so of ebooks that Bookari can't read, that the other ereaders can.
The number of pages/screens is on the reading screen. In miscellaneous settings check "Show mini status bar when reading" .

There is a slider when you tap on the center of the screen, but it only shows percentage.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #572
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Thanks stumped, one thing I've found in Bookari is that if I go from portrait to landscape it loses the correct page number. I just remember the page number and correct it, that's an old bug that keeps crooping up from time to time. You are right, I read a lot of non-fiction books where I want to go to a footnote and Moon + can't get me back to where I was reading. Errors this week on Bookari books, for example - one wouldn't load and gave me a page full of errors, the other opened but overlapped the lines making it unreadable. No perfect ereader (maybe I should write one myself, but I'd have to learn a lot of new tools!)
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #573
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
The number of pages/screens is on the reading screen. In miscellaneous settings check "Show mini status bar when reading" .

There is a slider when you tap on the center of the screen, but it only shows percentage.
well spotted on the slider. but sliders scare me- too easy to blunder.
the mini status bar, for me, shows my current chapter e.g. that I am on e.g. page 17 of 24 of a chapter.
the regularly asked question, by this poster and others is why cant it (also) show e.g. page 171 of 324 for the whole book, and its because the app only loads in one chapter at a time, and does a dynamic screens count.
in fact for very large chapters it applies a 1/2 2/2 split and only loads 1/2 a chapater at a time. it would be nice to disable that, as my device has lots of RAM etc. but I guess the app was designed for small capacity phones and has kept that in built limitation
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #574
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks stumped, even if it isn't what I want, it is really helpful to me to know why I can't have it. Makes sense now.

stumped said "its because the app only loads in one chapter at a time, and does a dynamic screens count. "
Old 10-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #575
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks stumped, even if it isn't what I want, it is really helpful to me to know why I can't have it. Makes sense now.

stumped said "its because the app only loads in one chapter at a time, and does a dynamic screens count. "
if you play around with the LIBBY ( overdrive) library book reader app, I think that also counts dynamically, because if you ask for a book page count you get a warning saying this will be slow and sure enough you can watch it counting up..
cant say for sure if the libby page count changes if you change the font size, I think it does though.

what works for me, for owned books , is seeing a static number pf pages as a column in calibre via the page count plug in. that uses the same algorithm for all books so its a quick guide to how long a book is , relative to other books you ave read or are reading. & there's probably a way to get that number displayed on device via Calibre Companion, if you wanted to see it in CC also.
you could even force that page count into the book as metadata on the jacket page if you read the relevant bits of calibre manual, or layzliy asked the helpful experts here
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #576
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks again, Stumped. Actually I use page count to decide how long I want to stay up at night in order to finish the book (grin). I do have page count in CC. I guess I could jump back and forth to CC to figure out how many pages I have left. Something to think about.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #577
stumped
Wizard

dunno if I have page count in CC or not, did you have to go anything clever to set that up ? instructions for dummies will be appreciated if so.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #578
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
dunno if I have page count in CC or not, did you have to go anything clever to set that up ? instructions for dummies will be appreciated if so.
I'll try to remember - its been so long since I set it up and I hardly ever use it.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #579
stumped
Wizard

Checked my calibre companion. I see page number when I tab a book timber more details. Don't recall ever setting that up.
I find that all reader apps do not like being flipped between portrait and landscape. I read in 2 column landscape but if I accidentally twiddle the tablet the apps have to recover inelegantly. I could lock landscape mode but very occasionally I want to rotate. Moon will miss out some large images in 2 column mode but they appear in portrait.
Bookari used to halve the rendered display sometimes near end of a long chapter. Then halve it again on next page turn until you were looking at a tiny postage stamp size page with all else blanked. I could never reproduce that on demand though to report it as a bug.
Also with bookari it needed more manual effort to strip out line heights and fonts from books so that bookaris own styles could take full effect. It remains my 2nd best choice app though and I think I have tried all the well known ones.
Moon wins out for its Dropbox reading position sync as I frequently switch devices. Bookari free cloud is clunky and limited, and easily confused. If you correct some typos in a book and send a revised version to device you can end up with multiple cloud versions in bookari cloud when you try to sync.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #580
peaceridge
Guru

stumped said "Moon wins out for its Dropbox reading position sync as I frequently switch devices. Bookari free cloud is clunky and limited, and easily confused. If you correct some typos in a book and send a revised version to device you can end up with multiple cloud versions in bookari cloud when you try to sync."

I'm probably one of the few never using the cloud. I travel most of the time in my RV and have limited data, so don't use it - that's why I gave up on Amazon ereaders because they kept harping on me connecting to the net. I guess they don't do that anymore, but I'm not taking the chance. I do miss out on syncing and wish I could have it - maybe someday if I ever settle down.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #581
skr1107
skr1107 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello, I´m a new user.
I wanna know if there´s any way to change the bottom Percentaje information into pages left.
I just want the tipical "page 453/866" data, not the "77.3%"
tks
skr1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:28 AM   #582
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skr1107 View Post
Hello, I´m a new user.
I wanna know if there´s any way to change the bottom Percentaje information into pages left.
I just want the tipical "page 453/866" data, not the "77.3%"
tks
asked and answered already

please take the time to read last few posts in the thread before repeating the question.
i appreciate it is a long thread, but we jsut discussed that in great detail, over the past few days. so read the last 2 weeks ' entries
Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #583
stumped
Wizard

Quote:

I'm probably one of the few never using the cloud. I travel most of the time in my RV and have limited data, so don't use it - .
moon lets you sync only the last reading position + any bookmarks or annotations, so it read/writes a tiny amount of data to dropbox or google. 2 tiny files per book. if there is no on line connect than it just skips over doing that update, it does not error out
there is an option to sync the entire book(s) but I never use it
Old 10-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #584
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
moon lets you sync only the last reading position + any bookmarks or annotations, so it read/writes a tiny amount of data to dropbox or google. 2 tiny files per book. if there is no on line connect than it just skips over doing that update, it does not error out
there is an option to sync the entire book(s) but I never use it
I didn't know that, thanks.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #585
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks again, Stumped. Actually I use page count to decide how long I want to stay up at night in order to finish the book (grin).
If this is all you're looking for then simply bring up the Book Information (under More Operations) in Moon + Reader, scroll down and you will see what page of the book you are currently on and the total number of pages in the book. Since it is dynamic, based on screens pages, it does take a while to initially calculate total pages after changing font size, but once the calculation is done the total is always available directly by this method.

If I press on the left side of the mini status bar the Book information page is displayed. Scroll down to see stats. Press left side of mini status bar again to exit Book details page.

I'm unsure of why the creator doesn't allow folks the option of displaying this set of numbers in the mini status bar.

Additionally you can display the estimated time left to read the chapter and the estimated time left to read the book by going to misc options and checking the Show Reading Remaining Time box. I choose to display it separate from the mini status bar.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-02-2018 at 09:28 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote