Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 12-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well then, it's time for you to stop using Amazon shortcuts as tMR does support the FULL Amazon link. That would solve the problem of Alex having to cater to shortcuts.
Instead of them adding another domain to a configured list???

And I would venture to imagine that I am not the only person who knows about it. I am not very up-to-date on my affiliate-link trending, but it is not unreasonable to think that someone knows or will come to know and use them.

Your policy can be summed up as Treat The Symptoms, Not The Cause.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #17
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You could always do that.

I've been doing so for the better part of a month.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...06#post2974206
Thanks eschwartz , but I might mention that I have been (what I thought was appropriately) chipped about saying 'obok' in the last month or less.

Now it seems that it will be okay to say it.

Edit
Not being a nook user or purchaser I haven't been actively following that thread, so wasn't aware of the changes.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-03-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As for easier to read, irrelevant.
As for easier to post, nope. It's easier to copy the FULL URL from the browser window and post that.
I do it because of my own personal idiosyncrasies, because it is easier for me. And when I am posting links to concepts, the semantic shortname is indeed easier to post -- because I don't actually have to look up the name -- and read -- because it makes it much clearer what you are getting.

I don't copy the full URL, because it is way too long and clogs up the Edit Post page, which is irritating... so I might as well only copy the pertinent information.

Why. Do. You. Give. A. Darn.

And because I can copy a link from calibre. Cool. Seems Kovid knows about it too.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Thanks eschwartz , but I might mention that I have been (what I thought was appropriately) chipped about saying 'obok' in the last month or less.

Now it seems that it will be okay to say it.

Edit
Not being a nook user or purchaser I haven't been actively following that thread, so wasn't aware of the changes.
I think I remember that, and it was before the change. (Because I would've wondered why, based on the new rules.) In fact, your argumentation may very well have been what spurred the Admins to take another look at the rules.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Why. Do. You. Give. A. Darn.
Because by your posting the full link and not some shortcut, it makes life easier for Alex. Unless of course you don't care about that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Funny thing to write in front of comments that one has authored ....
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/TLDR
  1. (Internet) too long; didn't read. Used to indicate that one didn't read the whole text.
  2. (Internet) too long; didn't read. Used to indicate that what follows is a summary of the overly long text.

In this case, the second meaning is being used.

Ironically enough, JSWolf gave the tl;dr definition of tl;dr
Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Because by your posting the full link and not some shortcut, it makes life easier for Alex. Unless of course you don't care about that.
On the contrary, I am providing him with knowledge of another route others may be taking.

I suggest you stop getting so defensive over 4.573 seconds of someone else's time. So far, your protests have wasted more of your time than Alex will spend enabling support for those links as well.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I personally appreciate knowing about these links. They do make it easier to reference specific pages in Amazon.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I personally appreciate knowing about these links. They do make it easier to reference specific pages in Amazon.

Dale
You're welcome.

It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it, to guess what will be a link. It does take some trial and error though.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:05 AM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
You should add "illustrator" and "cover artist" to the list of those who must have released their copyright, either willfully or by death 70 years ago.
Yes, thanks for the important addition.

Quote:
Does the site take into account an Amazon link that might already have an affiliate link? What about arcadata's affiliate links threads? Will they get changed to be the MR affiliate code?
Generally yes, they get changed, but not in the areas where we currently allow clearly marked affiliate tags (i.e. signatures, arcadata's thread in the deal section).

Quote:
Re DRM, I'm reconfirming that it's alright to say things like 'obok' and 'the tools', and 'Apprentice Alf'. And to link to Nate's site wherein an Article discusses stripping Kobo DRM issues. (http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0.../#.VH_Nu8nQW0A)

Quote:
And to link to Alf's blog ....
Here is where the grey area begins. Alf's blog is exclusively dedicated to providing DRM removal tools, which is a totally different story than for example Nate's blog. In the case of doubt, it's better to be conservative and not to include a link.

Quote:
I usually use the format

http://amzn.com/{ASIN}
We do have code in place to automatically unshorten the amzn link when clicked upon, which would technically be required to add the tag. It's not optimized yet because it would query Amazon's servers for the full URL every time a user views a post containing such a link. That would slow down user experience, which nobody wants. We might make it work in the future by adding some caching functionality.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #26
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
All good for the knowing ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In regard to the prohibition of anything sexually explicit, does this extend to user names? Perhaps I'm being petty or nitpicky, but there's a user who occasionally posts in the self-promotion forum whose name is explicit and gross (not meaning to be judgey, but this isn't the place). Frankly, whenever he's been the most recent poster in the forum and his name is visible on the main index page, I cringe.

I thought of reporting it, but since it had such high visibility, I figured that it passed muster. But family-friendly it ain't, at least IMHO.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #28
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In regard to the prohibition of anything sexually explicit, does this extend to user names?
Absolutely. If you can please send me a PM with the username. It's easy to change, too.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #29
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
In regard to the prohibition of anything sexually explicit, if the main issue is authors wanting to advertise erotica, maybe there can be another opt in area similar to P&R which would be adults only?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:55 AM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Does the sexual content rule apply to older PD books like Fanny Hill or just to newer book titles that would be in the bargain/deal forums? And is it retroactive in some way? I'd hate to be getting yelled at for example for something that wasn't a stated rule (that I was aware of) til the 3rd of this month. Certainly there are a few PD books that do have some sexual content (the aformentioned Fanny Hill, Lady Chatterly, etc).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote