Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #46
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Perhaps we should refer to all mods as the Borg Collective?
We are not the Borg. We are all individuals. We have our own minds. Resistance is futile. You will be assim...dammit! Nearly got away with it.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #47
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Although I rarely participate in these types of "debates," I, too, opted in. I don't find it difficult to either see the thread topic or a post or two and decide to ignore.

My biggest problem with political and religious debates is that they really aren't debates; they are simply statements of one's unprovable or unconvincing position broadcast to the world. They tend to reinforce one's personal beliefs and perceptions rather than persuade one to shift positions.

But they are lively and when done with a certain amount of detachment (as opposed to religious and political fervor), they can be both entertaining and educating. And contrary to the general belief that such debates have no connection with ebooks, I think they can definitely have a positive connection. I know that as a result of prior discussions, I have gone out and bought books on the discussed topic just to become better informed -- I haven't changed my position, but I have become better informed and have in the process acquired more books .
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #48
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Now... anyone want to discuss Cricket?

Graham
Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #49
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wood View Post
Big mistake.

The new P&R forum isn't visible unless you know to go look for it. If it just has to be a separate area, then it should be a sub-forum to The Lounge where it would still be visible to all visitors and easily stumbled into.

Look at the high number of posts/pages those threads have. That traffic is a good thing.
I don't see it as a mistake, but I do wonder how new people are to find it. it is completely invisible without knowing where to check for it. couldn't the link be there taking a newcomer to the "opt in" page?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #50
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would make sense to have sticky in the Lounge explaining where those subjects are debated and a link to the Group membership option.

Graham
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #51
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
It would be nice if the mods could ban or temp ban people from the subforum if they abuse the rules and still keep them on the site.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #52
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham

One wish I would have is that we don't forget that this is an International site ...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #53
Wasabihound
Enthusiast
Wasabihound doesn't litterWasabihound doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G and WIFI, MacBook, iPhone 3G
Great idea.

(ARE chickens under attack in the US? I must start watching CNN again...)
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #54
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabihound View Post
Great idea.

(ARE chickens under attack in the US? I must start watching CNN again...)
Oh my - you're new here aren't you!

Welcome to MR!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #55
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I don't see it as a mistake, but I do wonder how new people are to find it. it is completely invisible without knowing where to check for it. couldn't the link be there taking a newcomer to the "opt in" page?
Yes, that worries me too. It might become a ghetto where the same people end up saying the same things over and over again. Or is it that already? I'm really not sure where I stand on this whole issue.

I agree also with rhadin about "debates" not being real debates, but that is a very general issue, and they are still useful, maybe even necessary.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #56
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
I think that comes under religion (ashes to ashes and all that).
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #57
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Yes, that worries me too. It might become a ghetto where the same people end up saying the same things over and over again. Or is it that already? I'm really not sure where I stand on this whole issue.
At the moment this thread is at the top of the announcements, and it's showing on the front page, so for the time being newcomers should be able to find it if they're interested enough in political and religious debate to read the thread.

Beyond that - maybe sticky this thread?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #58
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***I do wonder how new people are to find it***

New people don't come here for reilious and political debate -- plenty of forums on the net dedicated to that -- but because they want to know about ereading devices, ereading and ewriting. Otherwise they'd have gone elsewhere. Neil
Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #59
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post

New people don't come here for reilious and political debate -- plenty of forums on the net dedicated to that -- but because they want to know about ereading devices, ereading and ewriting. Otherwise they'd have gone elsewhere. Neil
The reason to sticky it in the Lounge is more so that the mods don't continually have to repeat "please take political and religious comments out of this thread and into the proper group" to the nearly new users.

Having said that, I guess most people would just hit New Posts anyway, so they wouldn't get to see the sticky. Tricky.

Graham
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #60
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post

We are not talking about people coming here only to discuss religion or politics - as I mentioned before, these people may be trolls or just overeager zealots. But we do want people who came here first to discuss e-reading and e-readers to be able to participate if they feel like it. Otherwise what's the use of keeping this section? Might as well kill it off now.
Closed Thread