Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-02-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
understanding font size

Just out of curiosity, what is the unit for font size? koreader only displays a numerical value. Thank you for your attention.
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's just that: a numerical value ;p. Probably not even close to a point, given how it's affected by potentially-user-configured DPI scaling.

It gets thrown through the usual blender of DPI scaling according to user-preference, which leads to a value in pixels, and, for reflowable content, that is run through a sieve to round it to the nearest integer value in a scale of supported values (a scale recently updated to basically offer full granularity in steps of 1px).
In the end, CRe honors a px value (you never get to actually see that value, but you could, with a simple well-placed print statement).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-03-2019 at 12:40 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
warface9991
Connoisseur
warface9991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's just that: a numerical value ;p. Probably not even close to a point, given how it's affected by potentially-user-configured DPI scaling.

It gets thrown through the usual blender of DPI scaling according to user-preference, which leads to a value in pixels, and, for reflowable content, that is run through a sieve to round it to the nearest integer value in a scale of supported values (a scale recently updated to basically offer full granularity in steps of 1px).
In the end, CRe honors a px value (you never get to actually see that value, but you could, with a simple well-placed print statement).
Hi

What does DPI do? The default is 96 but when I increase the DPI I don't see much change. Does increasing it make it better to look at text?
warface9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For reasons that aren't completely clear to me the program's DPI and the crengine DPI aren't completely linked. Generally speaking you'll see more of a difference by playing around with Settings → Screen.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, right, yeah, what @Frenzie said. The DPI button in the bottom menu is indeed... weirder .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
warface9991
Connoisseur
warface9991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
Thanks for your answers!
warface9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I think it's preferable to increase the crengine DPI (in the bottom menu) btw. You definitely see it with certain CSS units as well as image size.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #8
maraskan_user
maraskan_user began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Galaxy Tab S6, Samsung M21
This is very interesting! Maybe we could use this thread to collate thoughts, theories and data on the functioning of the present scaling in KOReader. A couple of months ago I did some experiments and took a few notes on the different settings available:

"Screen DPI"
  • + Affects UI size.
  • + Affects EM fonts.
  • - Doesn't affect PX, PT, IN, imageSize.
src>> Device:setScreenDPI(_dpi)

"Font Size"
  • - Doesn't affects UI size.
  • + Affects EM fonts.
  • - Doesn't affect PX, PT, IN, imageSize.
src>> SetFontSize()

"Zoom (dpi)"
  • - Doesn't affects UI size.
  • - Doesn't affects EM fonts.
  • + Affects PX, PT, IN, imageSize.
src>> SetRenderDPI()
src>> self._document:setIntProperty("crengine.render.dpi ", value or 96)

This weird separation is more historically grown than intentional, I assume? I still remember how confusing it was when I started using koreader...
maraskan_user is offline   Reply With Quote