Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Hamza
Hamza began at the beginning.

Device: None Yet
My First Two Weeks: PRS-505

Hey everyone:

So I've now owned my silver PRS-505 for two weeks and I'd like to humbly submit to the forum my thoughts on my device. Why this is relevant at all, I feel, is that before I bought my Sony Reader I was a total ebook novice. A friend at work introduced me to the devices and to the community -- mobileread.com included -- in general. Before I begin, however, let me state that my critiques come from a loving heart. I am overwhelmingly impressed with the Sony Reader. For a second generation device it has made tremendous leaps over its predecessor and gives me much faith in the coming Sony models.

1. LOOK AND ATTENTION IN PUBLIC

No question, the number one thing I've noticed about owning the Sony Reader is just how much attention it generates. Sony hit the design well. It's light and pretty, and comes in its own honeysuckle-colored leather pouch. I ride the subway to and from work, and without a doubt, I get asked about it at least twice a day. When I go out to a restaurant, or am sitting at a bar reading, the device gets attention.

It usually starts off something like this: Some furtive glancing, than the ubiquitous "Excuse me but... is that a book?" I'm always friendly and explain what the Reader is. I give them the short story: it's like "an iPod for books". But people always want to know more and I always tell them. No, it's not the Kindle, no it's not a palm, can't write on it, it's really just for reading books, etc. I buy the books from Sony online and upload them with the Sony software.

Two things always surprise me at this point: one, that people aren't at all put off by the limitations of the device (not a palm, not a Kindle etc.) and two, the huge diversity of people who are attracted to the device. In a single day, I had a mother of two toddlers, a female IT worker from Delhi and two extremely attractive female hipster girl roommates sitting next to me at the bar while I ate brunch each inquire about the device.

On a side note, I feel like the Reader is a great way to break the ice. Like a little brother or a puppy... except more portable. Yoink!

2. MARKETING

So the question begs itself: why do I see so few people with a Reader? Every time someone sees mine -- and I always let them handle it -- they love it. Eighty percent of the time, they ask me to write down the name of the device for them. A large market exists for the Sony Reader, and it can compete with the Kindle because the kindle is hideous to look at. When the iPod came out, there were dozens of competing brands that were far cheaper and offered more space, but none were as intuitive or as sexy as the iPod. So it is with the Sony Reader.

So why do I feel like Sony isn't putting a good faith effort into marketing the Reader? When Apple first came out with the iPod, the portable MP3 player was not new. Yet Apple saturated the planet with iPod marketing and got "cool", sexy people to wear iPods. Well, I can tell you from my experience in Brooklyn, cool, sexy blonde female hipster roommates sitting next to you at brunch like the Sony Reader. They like it a lot.

... and so does my girlfriend, who is currently a college professor. Her first reaction when I showed her my new toy was: "I would love to give these to my students with the textbook on them. If they could sell an ebook of the textbook for half the cost of the print book and not have to carry it around, I'd buy them for the whole class."

Has anyone at Sony even explored the academic e-publishing possibilities of the Sony Reader?

3. EASE OF USE/DESIGN

Hands down, for what it is, I feel like the PRS-505 is exceptionally easy to use. I have no real complaints. If I had one gripe, it would be that unless you want to shut off the Sony Reader, when you close the cover the Reader's buttons still get pressed. Especially the number buttons on the right of the screen. That uses up valuable battery juice when it's knocked around in my bag.

But there is an easy solution: incorporate an iPod-esque lock switch. I hate to keep referencing the iPod but Apple is a master of design. Ain't no shame in learning from the best.

4. SOFTWARE (3RD PARTY)

The Sony Library software is severely lacking. It wants so very badly to be iTunes but has no functionality. It often crashes. If you use third-party software like libprs500, it crashes more. And I feel it's critical to support third-party geniuses like the designer of librs500. They do what they do because the believe in your product and they provide (basically free) tech support. People like the designer of libprs500 are so devoted to your product that they'll innovate new functionality for it, make it even more desirable to a customer, and all for free. One of the big selling points to the Reader for me was the ability to get the NYTimes on it, free, every day. In fact, that's how I'm justifying its cost -- no NYTimes purchases for a year.

The free work of a third-party Reader application programmer played a major role in my decision to purchase the Sony Reader -- are you listening, Sony? Feed and support these maven users/hackers. If anything, you'll shame the competition.

5. SOFTWARE (SONY LIBRARY)

But back to the Library. Critical things for a Sony Reader user are hard to find. The "upload" function is buried. There's no drag-and-drop functionality. There’s no way to make new collections for yourself. There’s no RSS feed tool.

And the Sony Connect Store also needs some work. There should be a search function on the front page, as well as integrated into the Library software. And you must – must! – install an “upload all” button, so that you don’t have to click through 15 pages of previously purchased books, one by one, if you ever reformat your reader. Also, why no customer reviews of books?

6. MP3 SUPPORT

The Sony Reader is not, and should not be treated as an MP3 player. But Sony included MP3 functionality and if they’re going to do a job, Sony should not leave that job unfinished.

The MP3 software is terrible. I had to look up in the manual how to turn off a song. That is the opposite of intuitive. There's no excuse for the inventor of the legendary Walkman to let the Sony Reader audio support fall flat on its face.

The Sony Reader does not need exterior music control buttons aside from volume – the physical design is beautiful. But the software needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, with audio controls comfortably integrated into multiple layers of the software and reading experience.

And what about audiobook support? If Sony would design the audio software to be extremely friendly with audiobooks, then the Sony Reader would not just be a personal reader, but an entire personal literature solution. Whether you want see text on a page or close your eyes and listen to a good audiobook, the Sony Reader has the potential to offer its owner both… if the software can just be written correctly.

7. SONY CONNECT STORE BOOK SELECTION

Ah, the bread-and-butter of the Sony Reader profit model. I have a lot of positive things to say about the selection of books on the Sony Store. Out of the 8 books I’ve looked for to buy so far, only two have been unavailable on the Sony store, and one of those was also unavailable on Kindle. I encourage Sony to go out and sign up as many publishers as possible, but frankly, I think their selection is excellent. However...

8. BOOK PRICE POINT

Retailing at $300 before tax, the Sony Reader is not cheap. Yet I accept this price tag since this technology is relatively new. But with Amazon in the game, there’s no reason for ebooks to cost double on the Sony store what they cost on Amazon. Guys, you’ve made a loyal customer out of me and I love your device, but cut the prices of your books. I’m not saying you need to match Amazon – though I’d love that – but please narrow the gap. I beg this for your own sake because I love your device, and if you don’t stop charging your customers $15 for an ebook that costs $8 on Amazon, you’re going to lose this race… attractive design or no.

That's all I have to say at this juncture. Thoughts?

Last edited by Hamza; 02-03-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
mflood
Enthusiast
mflood began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
You're right on a lot of counts, but I'd like to point out a couple things. First, there is an "ipod-like lock switch." It's a slider on the top left of the device. When you use it, it turns off all the buttons, and shuts off the screen. And it's not "off" when you do that. Sliding the switch again brings back all functionality in approximately the same time it takes to turn a page. The actual REAL off switch is buried in menus. So yeah, read, flip switch, carry in bag, flip switch, read. It works very well.

The other thing I wanted to talk about was what you said regarding Sony's software. You're correct first of all, that it sucks. :P It's just not very well designed. However, it does in fact include drag-and-drop support for a lot of things (drag books from library onto the device tab in the left hand pane, etc), and you can certainly create your own collections. Check the help file about how to do this; it's nicely documented, and easy to do.

Oh, and I guess one last thing. The prices at Sony's store aren't always great, that's true. However, there are in fact several other online ebook sellers that will allow you to download books in a variety of formats, often at more competitive prices. It's the work of a few seconds to convert most popular formats to one compatible with the PRS-505.

Hope some of that helps, and I'm glad you like your reader!
mflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
So why do I feel like Sony isn't putting a good faith effort into marketing the Reader?
What would be the point in advertising a device which is already in short supply?

PVI (the screen manufacturer) are running their production facilities flat out to try to satisfy the demand for screens for the Sony, Gen3, and Kindle (all of which use the same screen). All three are selling every unit they can produce. There would be absolutely no point whatsoever in increasing demand - all it would achieve would be lengthy waiting lists and angry customers.

When manufacturing capacity is able to keep up with demand, THEN will be the time to advertise. Now, though, it would be counter-productive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

After using it also for almost 2 weeks I can say I really like Sony reader... BUT I find that ergonomics are not very good. The device is a little too heavy for its dimensions. Although it's not heavy enough to be uncomfortable, you have to handle it with some care and grip.

To me, buttons are not very well located, and bigger page-turn buttons would be positive.
I also find that the reader has its top and lower edges that are too sharp. Within minutes, my right hand starts aching due to the lower right edge of the device sticking to my palm. Rounder egdes on those areas would have been better.
My opinion is based on my experience with another ebook reader: the ebookwise 1150, which it's ergonomics (except its weight) are very well thought.

Software is correct. I think the only thing I'd add (besides dictionary support) is the ability to turn a lot of pages, by pressing several times the page-turn buttons, avoing each page refresh. I mean, if you press 4 times in a row the page-turn button, avoid refreshing the screen with each page and directly show the last page in that series of presses.
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The Point of Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What would be the point in advertising a device which is already in short supply?
The point would be to let people know there is an alternative to the Kindle. Look at all the free marketing the Kindle gets. When you mention ebook reader to someone, assuming they have a clue as to what you are talking about, the first response is "Kindle"; the second response is "I didn't know Sony made one". As long as everyone is in the same boat -- short supply -- a smart company would keep up the demand call by making sure that its name was the first to cross the lips of prospective buyers. Rather than have people wait 3 months for a Kindle, let them wait 3 months for a Sony.

And I wonder how short the supply of the Sony really is. I note that J&R World has been advertising the Sony Reader in it's full-page ads in the NY Times recently and not indicating that they are out of stock. J&R is not know for wasting precious -- and very expensive -- ad space on goods it can't deliver.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Hamza
Hamza began at the beginning.

Device: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflood View Post
First, there is an "ipod-like lock switch." It's a slider on the top left of the device. When you use it, it turns off all the buttons, and shuts off the screen. And it's not "off" when you do that. Sliding the switch again brings back all functionality in approximately the same time it takes to turn a page. The actual REAL off switch is buried in menus. So yeah, read, flip switch, carry in bag, flip switch, read. It works very well.
Interesting, I wasn't aware that it didn't actually turn the device off. But if it has to re-juice the screen, then isn't it still using a little battery juice? It may seem silly (a single "flip") -- and maybe it is -- but it's just a thought. Good input though, thanks.

Quote:
Oh, and I guess one last thing. The prices at Sony's store aren't always great, that's true. However, there are in fact several other online ebook sellers that will allow you to download books in a variety of formats, often at more competitive prices. It's the work of a few seconds to convert most popular formats to one compatible with the PRS-505.
Really?! If someone would write or reference me a guide to this, that'd be fantastic.
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find the 505 very easy to hold with one hand. And one of the complaints of the Kindle is one the 505 doesn't have. Accidental page button turning is not something I have an issue with. The 505 is slightly heavier then an ordinary paperback book. Bit lighter then an average hardcover. Holding the 505 is more comfortable then holding a pBook in one hand and I will need two hands to turn the page. With the 505, I can hold it and page turn in just my right hand. It's not a problem at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hamza, purchase MS Reader format eBooks, use ConverLIT and Libprs500 to remove the DRM and convert to LRF and you'll be all set to read. Can't give you any more info on ConvertLIT, but if you need more info on lit2lrf (part of Libprs500), I can give that no problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
But back to the Library. Critical things for a Sony Reader user are hard to find. The "upload" function is buried. There's no drag-and-drop functionality. There’s no way to make new collections for yourself. There’s no RSS feed tool.
As others mentioned, the eBook Library software does support drag-n-drop. But instead of dropping it on the "Books" spot on the left-hand side, you drop it on the header element (such as "Library" or the reader). It's a little non-obvious...

Same thing with making new collections. There's an unintuitive "+" symbol in the lower left corner of the eBook Library window that lets you create new collections. I agree that the button is a little hidden, and a r-click option when you click on the Library or Reader would do wonders.

(I'm using v2.00.00.07200 of the software.)

I'm using the stock cover on my 505 and find that it works well. I usually open the front cover (but don't fold it back) and hold it in my left hand. My thumb ends up between the two wheels on the lower front of the unit (in the big blank area). It's pretty comfortable - about the same as a large paperback, but I usually change pages with my right-hand.

(I've had mine for almost a week and I'm pretty pleased with it.)

Last edited by tgharold; 02-04-2008 at 10:52 AM.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Interesting comments. First, the on/off slide switch is the easy way to go and works fine, as noted above. It takes about 3 seconds to start up. You should always use this switch when you are carrying the Reader around. This "shut off" function works great--no long startup times. The manual tells you all about it.

Funny, I've had NO problems with the Library software--not a single crash in 6 months of use (originally installed as Connect of course). And I have a bunch of purchased books, homemade ones (text/RTF), pdf, etc., including the 10,000+ silkpagoda files all ion the Library. I was expecting problems, but not a single glitch or problem (running WinXP).

The ergonomics are good for me, and if I am reading with one hand, sometimes I remove the cover from the 505 which fits it in my hand better. I don't think it's heavy at all.

As for Sony's ebook store, it seems to be getting better. Heck, they just added pretty much all of Philip Dick's works. Although I think I already own all of it in paper versions, except for one unpublished early novel which I hadn't come across before.

As for mp3 playback, I think it was a mistake to even add it to a book reader. Personally, I find listening to music distracting at best while reading. And dedicated mp3 players are much better for the purpose. I guess it is a feature that was easy and cheap to implement based on the rest of the hardware, but because it's there people expect more mp3 features. They should have left it out IMO. As for audio books (which I *cannot* follow at all!), those are better suited for dedicated mp3 players as well IMO.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The point would be to let people know there is an alternative to the Kindle. Look at all the free marketing the Kindle gets. When you mention ebook reader to someone, assuming they have a clue as to what you are talking about, the first response is "Kindle"; the second response is "I didn't know Sony made one". As long as everyone is in the same boat -- short supply -- a smart company would keep up the demand call by making sure that its name was the first to cross the lips of prospective buyers. Rather than have people wait 3 months for a Kindle, let them wait 3 months for a Sony.
Actually, Sony seems to be working on this. If you type 'Amazon Kindle' in google, the first sponsored link on the right hand side is that of Sony.
[Edit] The order of ads on the right hand side seems to change constantly.

Last edited by soilwork; 02-04-2008 at 12:39 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I suspect that you are describing a situation that is specific to the US; I've never encountered anybody here in the UK who's ever heard of the Kindle. On the other hand, I did meet someone who asked me if my CyBook Gen3 was a Sony Reader; I had great pleasure in telling him "no" and pointing out its numerous advantages over the Sony .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The ergonomics are something you get spoiled by. Go read a typical hard cover with one hand. I get cramps! Even a typical soft cover book is a bigger strain to hold open one-handed than some imagine. That's why I'm a two-fisted reader!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
We own a Kindle and a Sony 505, I prefer the 505 myself. I hope Sony improves the software and their book selections. Maybe someone will figure out a way to convert Kindle books to work on the Sony
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
The ergonomics are something you get spoiled by. Go read a typical hard cover with one hand. I get cramps! Even a typical soft cover book is a bigger strain to hold open one-handed than some imagine. That's why I'm a two-fisted reader!
I agree with you but still, we should always expect improvements over hardcovers, etc.
Even though my main complaint with the 505 is not it's weight but the ergonomics. Basically, the placement buttons and the sharp edges on top and bottom of the device. I find ebookwise reader more comfortable to hold than the 505, and the former is heavier and bulkier.
Anyway, it's not that I don't like the 505. I really do. I'm just pointing out the things I'd like to be changed.
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote