Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #16
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I remember back when I was a paramedic. We'd ask people questions to help identify potential head injuries. What year is it? What month is it? Who is the president? Who is the vice president? It was amazing how man non-head-injury patients could not answer these. Not because they were stupid, but because they were unexpectedly put on the spot.

Of course, every now and then I'd mess around with some patient who obviously did not have a serious head injury, and if they got all the questions correct, I'd go on to "Who is the speaker of the house?" and continue down the path until finally getting to something like "Who was the minority Whip in the Senate under Calvin Coolidge?" That usually stopped even the smart ones. They'd give me a quizzical look, then we'd start laughing.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #17
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I can't believe I fell for this stuff yesterday. I now realize the interview with a librarian, who can't recall the title of a single book, is a tell. So I just googled fake Jimmy Kimmel, and sure enough:

It's All Fun and Games 'til Jimmy Kimmel Ruins Everything
Quote:
Mashable also talked with someone who claims the show altered her answers in the Coachella edition of the series. Due to professional circumstances, she requested to preserve her anonymity for this story.

"It was fake. They replaced some of the band names in post and also used my description of other groups/bands as answers to other questions," she said. The participant claims that the filming crew explained what was happening halfway through the interview, and was asked to "play along."

"I figured, "Why not?
On the one hand, fake is far better than deliberately humiliating unwitting interviewees. On the other, I'm glad I read books rather than watch TV.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Who is the president?
This is far harder than "who is a President, or "name a book."
Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #19
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
On the one hand, fake is far better than deliberately humiliating unwitting interviewees. On the other, I'm glad I read books rather than watch TV.
+1. I didnt' know it was fake, that makes me feel better.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I can name a book:

The Big Bang Theory by Dr Sheldon Cooper
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #21
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Jimmy who?
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #22
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Jimmy who?
I cannot name a single book written by Jimmy Kimmel.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Now I face the existential crisis of forever wondering if Letterman's "Will it float?" segments were real or not. Was Carson's The Great Carnac fake as well? I'm devastated.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #24
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I had a long wait at the DMV just three weeks ago, and I pulled my e-reader out to read a book. Eventually there was a discussion among eight of us about different readers and where to get ebooks to use them.

As to the video, sure there's a lot of people that don't read but when asked a direct question on camera people often struggle to think . Given that example with the librarian that should be pretty obvious. Still, I get it. I'm rather disappointed with not only how little my relatives read, but the crap they watch instead of reading.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Now I face the existential crisis of forever wondering if Letterman's "Will it float?" segments were real or not. Was Carson's The Great Carnac fake as well? I'm devastated.
Say what you will about Kimmel and Letterman. But don't besmirch Carnac the Magnificent! "May your platform shoes fail you in a camel pasture."
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #26
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Anyone remember Family Feud? Somehow I doubt that "Name any Book" is the kind of question people under pressure wouldn't be able to answer. To confirm or deny, I just googled to see if they had ever used the question, and what the Survey Says. Alas, I can't find that precise question.

However, they have asked "Name a book you go to for answers." They've asked "Name a book that people refer to frequently." They've asked "Name a book that is found in most people's homes."

Then there are the ones with focus on younger folk. They've asked "Name a book you expect a high school student to read in English class." And "Name a book students keep on hand for reference."

My favorite: "Name A Book You Carry Around To Impress Someone Else."
Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Anyone remember Family Feud?
Remember it? It's still on! When I get a hankering for a good dose of stupid, I still watch it (usually killing time until Jeopardy). "Dumb as a box of rocks" seems to be a requirement to get on the show these days.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #28
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Name a book? Sure. No problem. Lesee, now. How about That Darn Cat. C'mon, just because it was a distillation of a Disney movie that was based on a book shouldn't disqualify it.

How about that requisite bedside table dweller War and Peace? Of course, it needs to come with a warning about possible severe brain damage from falling asleep while reading it and dropping it on your head. (Not to mention the psychic damage that occurs from just trying to read this...uhhh, thriller.

That said, I'm currently working my way through Dean Koontz's The Whispering Room, even though Mr. Koontz has once again left Christopher Snow sitting in the dark as we're eagerly awaiting the third and final book in that series...
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #29
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
For those not from the USA, apparently DMW is the Department of Motor Vehicles, where you go to licence and register your car or truck.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #30
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
For those not from the USA, apparently DMW is the Department of Motor Vehicles, where you go to licence and register your car or truck.
Ah, now I understand. Here, in France, we do it on line. Not in a line. Takes five minutes.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote