Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many eReaders do you own?
1-5 85 68.55%
5-10 30 24.19%
10+ 9 7.26%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #31
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
One of the things I've done this year, as well as reading more, is to deliberately alternate between different ereaders.

Partly this is done through having different readers for different "uses". So I have two paperwhites (a 2 and a 3) and one lives upstairs in my bedroom, and the other lives downstairs on my sofa. I have my Kobo Glo HD in my bag that I take nearly everywhere so that's my "mobile" reader. Then I have a Kindle Touch that lives in my drawer at work and I use it if for some reason I haven't got my bag with me.

The rest I use less frequently. I have made an effort to use my Oasis 2, which I sometimes pick up if I feel the need for inverted screen (white on black). My Kobo Mini - which used to be my mobile reader - gets used occasionally - a recent trip out where I didn't want to take my bag for e.g., but it gets used less because it doesn't have a light and is smaller and my eyesight isn't what it was.

I know I've used my Kobo Aura One this year but I tend not to use it for long periods as I find it awkward to hold.

Finally there's my original Kobo Touch - I can't recall when I last actually used it. Occasionally I check if it needs charging and maybe sideload my latest reads on to it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
One of the things I've done this year, as well as reading more, is to deliberately alternate between different ereaders.

Partly this is done through having different readers for different "uses". So I have two paperwhites (a 2 and a 3) and one lives upstairs in my bedroom, and the other lives downstairs on my sofa. I have my Kobo Glo HD in my bag that I take nearly everywhere so that's my "mobile" reader. Then I have a Kindle Touch that lives in my drawer at work and I use it if for some reason I haven't got my bag with me.

The rest I use less frequently. I have made an effort to use my Oasis 2, which I sometimes pick up if I feel the need for inverted screen (white on black). My Kobo Mini - which used to be my mobile reader - gets used occasionally - a recent trip out where I didn't want to take my bag for e.g., but it gets used less because it doesn't have a light and is smaller and my eyesight isn't what it was.

I know I've used my Kobo Aura One this year but I tend not to use it for long periods as I find it awkward to hold.

Finally there's my original Kobo Touch - I can't recall when I last actually used it. Occasionally I check if it needs charging and maybe sideload my latest reads on to it.
It's funny that the two highest end readers (the Oasis 2 and the One) seem to be the least used. There's a lesson there.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #33
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's funny that the two highest end readers (the Oasis 2 and the One) seem to be the least used. There's a lesson there.
Could be, or could simply be individual usage. I've gotten to a point where I'm marginal on needing reading glasses, so I value more screen real estate and bigger fonts. A large part of the rational for ordering the Kobo Aura One is a slightly larger screen. I have large enough hands that a large screen isn't a problem for me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #34
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I suppose. In theory someone could make a high end reader that I would find more useable. Even a larger device if it was designed so you could hold it easily - tbf I thought the Oasis was going to be that it not's, not quite.

Maybe the Clara HD will be the one!
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I suppose. In theory someone could make a high end reader that I would find more useable. Even a larger device if it was designed so you could hold it easily - tbf I thought the Oasis was going to be that it not's, not quite.

Maybe the Clara HD will be the one!
The perfect device is the one that's just over the horizon
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
A large part of the rational for ordering the Kobo Aura One is a slightly larger screen. I have large enough hands that a large screen isn't a problem for me.
I have small hands and have no problem with the Aura One; I played with the Oasis 2 at BestBuy and found it distinctly uncomfortable to hold, even though smaller. Granted, it was tethered so not an entirely fair test, but I didn't like the ridge or the sharp edges. Perhaps if I were invested in Amazon/Kindle I'd have been more predisposed to like it.

With responses so individual, the problem, of course, is buying a pig in a poke as we frequently have to do with ereaders. Fortunately I've had no issues with various Kobos, all of which were ordered sight unseen.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I only counted the devices that I use for reading, not that were 'capable' of displaying a book.
I also eliminated the dead or worn out units
Current main reader is a K4nt, with a TAB A as the PDF, color reader (really hate back light)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #38
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I only counted the devices that I use for reading, not that were 'capable' of displaying a book.
I also eliminated the dead or worn out units
Current main reader is a K4nt, with a TAB A as the PDF, color reader (really hate back light)
Lol, if a mobile device is "capable" of displaying a book, I've probably read a book on it. I used to read books on my flip phones (txt attachment via Yahoo Mail WAP). Also read books on a hacked PSP (Bookr). Dedicated e-ink readers were too expensive for me at the time.

I'm pretty spoiled now with multiple e-ink readers and tablets. Only counted e-ink for the poll though, not tablets or smartphones although I do use them for reading (and generally do more reading on the tablet than on e-ink due to convenience).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #39
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
To me an ereader is just a tool to read ebooks with.
Apache
Same. I only have one primary e-reader (KA1 at this moment), and one backup (KPW1 at this time). If/when I buy a successor for the KA1, this will be my primary e-reader, and the KA1 will become the backup.

I won't sell the KPW1 though, because it's one of the e-readers of which the battery can be replaced relatively easily. I tend to do that at some point, as the reader is now 6 years old. It still holds a charge quite well if not used, but the running time has become noticably shorter. As long as batteries are available and the device doesn't break, it'll be able to serve as a backup indefinitely. This is not true for the KA1, because when the battery becomes too bad, it can't be replaced as the e-reader is glued shut.

(If I had thought of this beforehand, I possibly wouldn't have bought it. I also have one of the very few smartphones that still have replaceable batteries; in this case, on the Moto G5, it's just under a removable back over, as it used to be, before 2011.)

So the conclusion is that I will probably end up with three e-readers at most:

- A primary e-reader
- A backup (which at some point will be replaced due to getting a new primary e-reader)
- The KPW1 as an ultimate fallback in case of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #40
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I don’t think a tablet qualifies as an ereader. Ereader are eink displays but I have.....

iPad
AZUS ZenPad 8
Fire tablets 7 and 8 inch
White Paperwhite
Oasis 2
Nook Glowlight Plus
Nook Glowlight 3(new model)
Nook Samsung A

I regret selling my Voyage, Oasis 1st gen galaxy tab 10
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #41
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have six functional readers at the moment. But I do not consider myself a collector.

- One is retired - PocketBook 360°. I have lent this to a friend after I started using more advanced hardware and my friend returned it after he got a front-lit device. I can't bring myself to throw it away - it is a legendary device.

- Another is retired 5" Onyx Boox Inkphone. I have stopped using it after I got Yotaphone 2. I can't even give it away. Terrible software. Fake IMEI number. This is the closest thing to collectors item that I have.

- Yotaphone 2 for reading on the move. I got it for a small fraction of original price.

- An old, battered front-lit PocketBook was handed down to my daughter.

- A front-lit e-ink reader with Android that I am using at the moment as my main device.

- spare device, same as the one above (purchased for a fire-sale price)

- I sold three other devices that I used and gave away my very first one.

Last edited by kacir; 05-05-2018 at 04:10 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I don’t think a tablet qualifies as an ereader. Ereader are eink displays but I have.....

iPad
AZUS ZenPad 8
Fire tablets 7 and 8 inch
White Paperwhite
Oasis 2
Nook Glowlight Plus
Nook Glowlight 3(new model)
Nook Samsung A

I regret selling my Voyage, Oasis 1st gen galaxy tab 10
Any device that I read ebooks on qualifies as an eReader to me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #43
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I haven't set out to "collect" ereaders, but I have accumulated some. All but the first were bought as used or refurbished units or at a clearance sale.

I do almost all my reading on the first ereader I ever bought -- a JetBook Lite.

My next reader purchase was a JetBook Mini (refurb), because I wanted a reader I could take on a family vacation. The Mini is fairly limited as an ereader, but Calibre makes it readable. It looks like a toy -- an Etch-a-sketch knock off -- so I don't worry too much about having it attract attention.

The rest -- a Kindle, a Kobo, Nook Simple Touch Readers, etc. -- I bought used out of curiosity.

I don't count my tablets as ereaders, but I do occasionally use them for PDFs or comics.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #44
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have a Sony PRS-T3 that is my daily reader and my old PRS-T1 that has a damaged screen but still works, which I keep as a backup.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:07 AM   #45
Phyllis41
Wizardess
Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Galaxy Note 3
I keep only one eReader at a time. I'd prefer to spend my resources on buying books and reading 'em. Once I buy a new device, I'm in hurry to dispose my old one off. You can call me a strong believer in non-possessiveness.
Phyllis41 is offline   Reply With Quote