Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Eddison, E. R.: The Worm Ouroboros. v1. 05 June 07

Here's one of the most important modern fantasy novels published - The Worm Ouroboros - written in a purposely archaic style - NOT SUITED FOR SOME READERS WITH QUICK ATTENTION SPANS - that is rich and evocative, and beautiful. There's a lot on the web about this. I suggest you do the research and check it out in order to see if this is a novel for you.

This is a difficult read, but an incredible work of art, one that creates its own world. Some critics regard Eddison as a genius of the English language.

Here's a quote, very simplistic in nature:

"When J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings was published, reviewers saw that there was only one book with which it could legitimately be compared: E.R. Eddison's classic fantasy adventure The Worm Ouroboros. Set on a distant planet of spectacular beauty and peopled by Lords and Kings, mighty warriors and raven-haired temptresses, Eddison's extravagant story, of a great war for total domination, is an unforgettable work of splendour."

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Worm Ouroboros.lrf (552.5 KB, 1298 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
He is one of the most under-appreciated authors. His style is marvelous and his imagination is superb. Grab anything you can find. I can't seem to find any ebook copies of Fish Dinner in Memison, Mistress of Mistresses or Mezentinian Gate, all of which I had in paperback at some point. All are well worth reading.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba View Post
He is one of the most under-appreciated authors. His style is marvelous and his imagination is superb. Grab anything you can find. I can't seem to find any ebook copies of Fish Dinner in Memison, Mistress of Mistresses or Mezentinian Gate, all of which I had in paperback at some point. All are well worth reading.
I agree with you: His style is marvelous. I have all his books in the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series that Lin Carter edited in the late '60s and early '70s.

I don't know if the other 3 books are in the PD. If you find out anything, please let me know.

Perhaps they just need to be scanned in. (Unfortunately, I have no scanner.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
I wish that Ballentine would re-issue that series. It was a brilliant idea.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thank you! Am going to give this one another go in the near future!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Many thanks, Don. Just downloaded this and very much looking forward to a read next week (first time around for me). Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
BlakeK
BlakeK began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I agree with you: His style is marvelous. I have all his books in the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series that Lin Carter edited in the late '60s and early '70s.

I don't know if the other 3 books are in the PD. If you find out anything, please let me know.

Perhaps they just need to be scanned in. (Unfortunately, I have no scanner.)

Don
Based on date of first publication, Fish Dinner and Gate are almost certainly still under copyright. Not clear about Mistress. In any case, the three Zimiamvian novels have never been as popular as Worm, no doubt, as the late Lin Carter once observed, because Worm is an Homeric work, while the Zimiamvian books are Machiavellian. And most people prefer Homer's sort of story to Machiavelli's
BlakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Finding Ballantine Fantasy Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba View Post
I wish that Ballentine would re-issue that series. It was a brilliant idea.
I too wish they would re-issue that excellent series. I was introduced to some really great works of fantasy that I would not have otherwise been aware of or read. Lin Carter did an excellent job.

You can more than like find them in pb form through this site:

http://www.abebooks.com/

And just in case you don't have it handy, here is a link to a complete list of the books included in the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballant...fantasy_series
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote