Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
dbundy
dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unhappy Dasung E-Ink Paperlike Monitor : a After-Sale service disappointing

I recently bought the Dasung E-Ink Paperlike Pro 13.3″ Monitor.
I encountered important limitations about how to work with 2 monitors with the Dasung and a classical LCD monitor.
Dasung just ignored my issue and considered as a normal thing.
What you can read on their site in the After Service section is not right :

Quote:
"We offer refunds or exchanges if there is a quality problem. But the return of non-quality requirement are not accepted."
So I advise to think several times before buying a product that with fee can cost you about 1000$.
It can be fine for you but if you have a problem with, you may consider it as a scam as the after service is very limited and it is not worth the price (1000$).

For me, the damage is done. But if it may "save" your money, I would be glad for.

I wrote a post on my wordpress blog if you are interested in.

Cheers,
David
dbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

E-ink monitors cannot have backlight, as they form the image by a tight assembly of opaque particles directly behind the screen.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
dbundy
dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbundy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
E-ink monitors cannot have backlight, as they form the image by a tight assembly of opaque particles directly behind the screen.
The missing backlight is just a detail that I solved.
Note that some e-readers provide a backlight, not directly from the screen but on the sides.

The real issue is the following :

Old 06-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
I remember when Unix was the first to divide directories and files with a / called a slash and then Windows used a \ backslash. Overtime people many times called the / in pathnames a backslash. Similarly many people call a screen light a backlight whether or not it is really in the back or in the front. In fact the lights on modern mobile devices are really edge lights to a light guide. Some guides are on the back for LCD and some are on the front for E Ink. When you correct someone like that you should point out that we call it a front light on E Ink or you may imply that there cannot be any light at all. It fact the light guide principle is difficult to do a front light with large screens since you have to be able to see through the light guide and it needs to be uniform.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbundy View Post
Note that some e-readers provide a backlight, not directly from the screen but on the sides.
And front lighting doesn't really work on E-Ink devices larger than 6"

Also, why do you need to unplug your computer screen 5 to 10 times a day???
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
Works great on my Kobo H2O2. Not a lot of complaints from 8 inch device users, either.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
dbundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post

Also, why do you need to unplug your computer screen 5 to 10 times a day???
About the front lighting, I don't agree because as meeera I have a Kobo 7.8" and it is rather nice.

About the switch between the LCDs, I am afraid that I was not clear enough.
In fact, I need to unplug 5 to 10 times a day because of the Dasung monitor behavior that prevents me from switching from the LCD monitor to the Dasung monitor without unpluging and pluging the 3 cords.
And the Dasung monitor cannot be enough for all tasks, particularly games, videos displaying, need to distinguish clearly the screen, application that displays a lot of thing in the screen, and so for...

Concretely, in Windows 7 in the display settings, you can choose the option "Show Desktop Only on 1" to display only on a specific monitor and as you change your mind because you want to display only on the other monitor you can use the "Show Desktop Only on 2" option and it is done !
You just need to click on one button : no requirement to unplug and plug 3 cords. With Dasung monitor, you come back to the prehistory : you don't have this chance.

Last edited by dbundy; 06-29-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:13 AM   #8
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Don't expect any after sales services from the China Manufactures.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Out of curiosity

Is it possible to use the Paperlike (3) as a main monitor without needing a second lcd one?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Out of curiosity

Is it possible to use the Paperlike (3) as a main monitor without needing a second lcd one?
Yes, it is possible, but reviewers say it struggles https://www.reddit.com/r/eink/commen...onitor/e2ogx3y

Quote:
The main problem I have with using it as a primary monitor is that you frequently need to change contrast, or otherwise there are windows that will be all-black or all-white. This means you need working drivers (Windows drivers did not install for me btw) and you need to be able to get back to the configuration tool even if you cannot see anything.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it for your main computer use.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dasung, dasung paperlike, eink, review