Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I've already read the manual and checked calibredb catalog --help. Also, I believe that's supposed to be calibredb list.

I want EPUB output (so I can use it with my reader). Unfortunately, generating cover thumbnails takes a long time (2K+ library). What I do right now is create a copy of the library (metadata.db + folder structure, no ebooks), remove all covers and generate the catalog.
Why not generate a text catalog and then convert it to epub?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Why not generate a text catalog and then convert it to epub?
Requires more manual labor as far as TOC and links are concerned.

One could conceivably export to XML and use XSL Transformation to generate epub-ready html. Too lazy to study and learn XSLT though when robocopy + calibredb already do the job.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I've already read the manual and checked calibredb catalog --help. Also, I believe that's supposed to be calibredb list.

I want EPUB output (so I can use it with my reader). Unfortunately, generating cover thumbnails takes a long time (2K+ library). What I do right now is create a copy of the library (metadata.db + folder structure, no ebooks), remove all covers and generate the catalog.
Could you edit the EPUB catalogue and remove the images. The calibre or sigil editor might have a one-click option or plugin to do it - ask in the respective forums.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Could you edit the EPUB catalogue and remove the images. The calibre or sigil editor might have a one-click option or plugin to do it - ask in the respective forums.

BR
Waste of time to convert covers to thumbnails, though. Robocopy of metadata.db + structure is quicker.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
cover thumbnails are cached, so they are only generated once.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

I don't want the covers in the catalog anyway. Makes the catalog unnecessarily large considering the covers are just generic ones generated by Calibre (a pain when downloading via slow cellular data). Seems more effort to generate catalog and thumbnails then remove the images via Sigil or Calibre Editor when a batch file easily does the job. Sides, I use Calibre Portable on a USB SSD and that cache generation might be per computer.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:17 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ilovejedd - I just noticed that the built-in Catalogue feature is implemented as a plugin. The originator is no longer active, and KG is disinclined to make any changes to the feature.

But if it was an optional PI someone might be interested adding an option to suppress the cover image in EPUB and Mobi catalogues. You're not the first to want a formatted catalogue without the covers.

I wonder how hard it would be to 'convert' it to an optional plugin.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Probably easier to add a switch to exclude covers than it is to convert to optional plugin.

Found the code that actually generates the thumbnails (/src/calibre/library/catalogs/epub_mobi_builder.py) as well as the html template (/resources/catalog/template.xhtml). Might tinker with those (basically comment out/remove thumbnails altogether) and just run from source next time I need to create a catalog. Adding all the switches to the CLI and GUI is beyond me.