Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Amazon ups hourly wage to $15, will advocate for higher pay

Amazon raise wage base to $15/hour

Currently its median full time worker wage is a little more than $15. The new base will apply to part time and temporary.

This is interesting. Wonder how it will affect prices and customers.

Last edited by frahse; 10-02-2018 at 02:59 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Amazon raise wage base to $15/hour

Currently its median full time worker wage is a little more than $15. The new base will apply to part time and temporary.

This is interesting. Wonder how it will affect prices and customers.
Are you saying the new base won't apply to full time employees?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If $15 an hour is what many people consider to be a minimum "living wage," then I have never been able to make a living at what I do. I wonder what I've been doing all this time if not living?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-02-2018 at 04:27 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you saying the new base won't apply to full time employees?
Their press release states:

Quote:
Amazon Raises Minimum Wage to $15 for All U.S. Employees, Including Full-Time, Part-Time, Temporary, and Seasonal
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Their press release states:
Which is why I was wondering about frahse's phrasing.
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The cynic in me expects that they will just outsource more of the minimum wage type jobs, which is what they were doing already. It also will be interesting to see if this applies to delivery or if those drivers are paid by the delivery rather than a salary.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I wonder how long it will be before they start laying their workers off? Trump started a trade war with China with tariffs etc. so I can't see a pay raise being something that Amazon will be able to sustain for very long.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If $15 an hour is what many people consider to be a minimum "living wage," then I have never been able to make a living at what I do. ...
I think it depends on where you live. I know $15 an hour would not be a living wage in Washington D.C., New York City or San Francisco. But it would be decent pay in a small town in Arkansas.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think it depends on where you live. I know $15 an hour would not be a living wage in Washington D.C., New York City or San Francisco. But it would be decent pay in a small town in Arkansas.
Yep. I think that's what a lot of people tend to forget.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
San Antonio is where money goes the furthest in the US.
New York and San Francisco have the worst cost of living, by over 50%.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...mid&region=019

Here's another cut at it, with a color-coded map.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../united-states

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-02-2018 at 06:16 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Amazon isn't just limited to the U.S.though either is it? I know they have business in Canada for example.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
It's nice that Amazon raised their wages — apparently necessary if they wanted to get seasonal help. But I'm a bit cynical about their newfound higher wage "advocacy" stance.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Which is why I was wondering about frahse's phrasing.
I see nothing wrong with his phrasing. I automatically read it as also applies to part time and temporary. And that the change is limited to have an effect on part time and temporary only as full time more than likely already has $15+.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:24 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I see nothing wrong with his phrasing. I automatically read it as also applies to part time and temporary. And that the change is limited to have an effect on part time and temporary only as full time more than likely already has $15+.
I also question the "more than $15+".

Depends, if the median is $15+, half could be making more than $15, and half could be making less, in which case your "more than likely" would be false.*

And by "median full time worker", I assume he means all full time employees. Doing a quick Google, I see a couple of different numbers,

"... average salary with compensation, $28,446 ...",

and

"... Amazon Amazon Warehouse Worker Hourly Pay. The typical Amazon Amazon Warehouse Worker salary is $12. Amazon Warehouse Worker salaries at Amazon can range from $9 - $17. This estimate is based upon 669 Amazon Amazon Warehouse Worker salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods. ..."

and

"... The average salary for software engineers at Amazon is north of $100,000, according to data from PayScale, a salary comparison service. By comparison, a full-time warehouse associate at one of Amazon's fulfillment centers in New Jersey could make as much as $13.85 per hour, according to a current job posting ..."

I don't mean to belittle Amazon's pay raise. Kudos to Amazon.

* I admit that I am extremely stretching it here.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@John F: The median theoretically allows half the workers to be making less than $15. In practice not so much. It is a fair assumption that half the workers at Amazon are warehouse worker bees? Then minimum and median is practically the same. Upper management never comes into play with median calculations, not even the programmers unless you talk about a software only company (Amazon is not). Lower management, aka shift supervisors in a warehouse, will also be a small enough number to not show up in median calculations.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote