Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
dpbmobi
dpbmobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Kobo Glo First Time Use

Hi Kobo Glo Users:

This query is about the Kobo Glo, not the Kobo Glo HD. After having had a really terrible experience with the Kindle Paperwhite silent update, I bought a Kobo Glo as a backup. It is still in the box and I have not activated or registered it yet. I want to make absolutely sure I don't get stuck with bloatware on this device and that I download any jailbreaks or fixes before there is a problem.

[1] They recommend charging the device for about 4 hours before first time use. Can I use my Kindle Paperwhite wall charger and just plug it in directly to do this without first registering the device?

[2] The registration process involves logging onto their website and downloading software. I already have the Kobo software for reading on my PC, so is this software different and do I need it?

[3] Do I have to register my device or is there a way of setting up my Kobo without doing this? Would it be better not to register my device? Are they going to download all sort of unnecessary ads and software during this process? Is there a way of reversing the download once it's done?

Let me apologize now if these questions have been covered in another thread which I've not been able to locate. Also, if anyone has any suggestions about third-party software for the Kobo Glo, especially if it would give me more control over the device, please let me know.

Many thanks for any help the forum can offer on this.

David
dpbmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I can answer the first question.
Only if the kindle and the Kobo have the same plug.
Yes you can charge without registering.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Now if you have a USB wall charger, yes you can use it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbmobi View Post
[1] They recommend charging the device for about 4 hours before first time use. Can I use my Kindle Paperwhite wall charger and just plug it in directly to do this without first registering the device?
The Glo has a standard USB mini socket. Any USB charger will work.
Quote:
[2] The registration process involves logging onto their website and downloading software. I already have the Kobo software for reading on my PC, so is this software different and do I need it?
That will be fine. But, start the desktop application first and let it upgrade if it wants to. Of course, you don't really need it as the Glo can do the setup over WiFi.
Quote:
[3] Do I have to register my device or is there a way of setting up my Kobo without doing this? Would it be better not to register my device? Are they going to download all sort of unnecessary ads and software during this process? Is there a way of reversing the download once it's done?
During the setup, the latest available version of the firmware will be downloaded and installed. It will then prompt you to login using your Kobo account. Then it will download details of any books you have purchased from Kobo using that account. There is no other software downloaded and no ads as such. The do download a list of recommendations based on your purchases. This will be one tile on the home screen and can be dismissed. There will be a couple of other tiles pointing to the Kobo shop when you first login, but they can also be dismissed.

You can also fake the user details by adding a row to a table in the database. That might be useful if you are only going to sideload books. A search here should find how to do this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
dpbmobi
dpbmobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks to everyone for answering. I just needed some reassurance on setting up Kobo Glo and your replies have been very helpful, especially about not having to download bloatware and the charger issue. I'm going to be searching the forums for add-ons for the Kobo software, so if anyone has any good suggestions for additional programs, please let me know.

David
dpbmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
KOBO DEVELOPER'S CORNER has threads about addon featuures and alternate reading software for Kobo ereaders.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, kobo glo, registration, softwares