Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #166
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
but this one is really strange:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# eu-objdump -d /bin/mountpoint 
/bin/mountpoint: elf32-ebl_arm

eu-objdump: cannot disassemble
Was the bfd's (or binutils, I forget which) options not set to include *-arm?

Not a big deal, with dropbear once again running, I can scp to/from my desktop for using readelf / objdump on binaries.

(the utilities I built on my desktop fall into the category: "If the binary is for something that used/uses electricity - I can deal with it.")
Same problem with eu-objdump on recent (5.6.x) firmware and devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:21 AM   #167
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, cf. my last edits. Doesn't work on my desktop either, so, perfectly normal .

Which means that binary is currently pretty useless, .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #168
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... Okay, I'm going nuts over here.

So, I spent the weekend wondering why my GCC 5.3-based ToolChains were completely b0rked. Since it's been a few months, and I couldn't find any real complaints, I decided to try to build one 'the Linaro way' (i.e., using Linaro's ABE tool, and not crosstool-ng).

After battling half-implemented features and outdated documentation, I got it to build me something useful. But, key factor: given the fact that you cannot apply patches to any of the components involved in the build (you instead have to feed it a local git repo, or setup a whole tarball fileserver), I only got it to build against Glibc 2.20...
And, surprise, that one generated *working* binaries.
(For those not following at home, the Kindles moved to Glibc 2.19 with FW 5.6.5, so I wasn't that cocnerned about the glibc bump yet).

Cue a moment of headscratching, followed by a series of regression testing with crosstool-ng... After 9 rebuilds of a PW2 TC (good thing that only takes 9 minutes on my beastly desktop...), I finally got to the root issue: building the TC against anything < glibc 2.19 results in broken code.

That's unfortunate, and weird as hell, since GCC is supposed to support glibc > 2.4. But, hey, whatever, I'll deal with that, I'm used to it with the K3 TC by now...

But it's not over yet... For a while now, my KOReader builds have produced a broken CRe library... With a hard-to-pinpoint segfault reminiscent of the behavior I experienced with the broken 5.3 TC.
So, since I was now using an apparently 'fixed' GCC 5.3 TC built against Glibc 2.19, and that my Kindle is up to date, I said, what the hell, let's try this...

And, yeeeeep, got something that worked perfectly well.

So I said, heh, cool, let's try to make that backwards compatible with Glibc 2.12... A few CFLAGS tweaks later, mission accomplished!
... except in that one, CRe crashes again.

ARRRRRRRGH.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #169
NiLuJe
BLAM!

... Oh, wait. I'm stupid.

I had an empty sysroot for that working KOReader build. Now I don't.

This is starting to smell like an ABI mismatch, yum.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #170
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Linaro tc defaults to hard float IIRC.
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #171
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Possibly, but I wasn't using one of their binary releases, I built a softfloat one using their build tools . (Target selection, at least, worked as advertised ^^).
Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #172
NiLuJe
BLAM!

#winning \o/

Works much better without stray -L & -isystem flags in my env. -_-".

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-11-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #173
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: Possibly, but I wasn't using one of their binary releases, I built a softfloat one using their build tools . (Target selection, at least, worked as advertised ^^).
I have been having nothing but toolchain troubles these past few days myself.

I'll give that thing a try. (arm-native to arm-native)

I have a Debian arm/Jessie chroot that is working trouble free.
But Debian arm-native toolchains, new and old, are nothing but trouble.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #174
knc1
Going Viral

Note: Linaro seems to assume abe is running on an Intel machine, rather than an ARMel.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #175
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There, pushed both sets of updates .

KOReader should now be fully functional.
And the objdump/readelf issue has been resolved by using binutils when appropriate .
Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #176
knc1
Going Viral

I was beginning to think I would have to re-write parts of configure.ac ...
But with poking and prodding -
NOTE: Buildall: Building "infrastructure binutils stage2 libc gdb" for native target armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi.

Maybe I should have changed that tuple to:
armv7l-kindle-linux-gnueabi

Last edited by knc1; 04-11-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #177
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Is amazon hinting at something?
http://www.amazon.com/Violated-By-Mo.../dp/B015RLOWW8
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #178
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
To get the build system to do all of its tricks, you really need LSB installed.

The script that abe ships has:
Code:
LSB_ARCH="x86_64"
LSB_VER="4.1"
hardcoded.

The releases are shipped as *.rpm packages (groan).

But abe requires that you have alien installed (and complains if you don't, so I suppose you do).
(And if you really, really hate alien, I have a bash script that will open *.rpm packages - but I think libarchive will also)

Since I am working on a 32-bit / *.deb system . . . .

Long story short -
I attach here the LSB release tree layout as pseudo code.

I.E: A more general system's support could be scripted - but I probably never will.

( I am going to download the five archives I need at the moment and let the rest of the world deal with this on their own terms.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt lsb-tree.txt (3.1 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by knc1; 04-12-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #179
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: I happen to have lsb-release installed (it's a mumble dep, IIRC) .

I do not have alien & co, though, but I did catch the configure script complaining about it. I don't think it matters unless you actually want to build deb or rpm packages of the binary TC.

And, yeah, libarchive (or p7zip) can handle rpm & deb just fine . There's also an eclass in Gentoo that handles those through more conventional tools (IIRC, there's cpio involved somewhere in one or both of those).
Old 04-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #180
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1: I happen to have lsb-release installed (it's a mumble dep, IIRC) .
- - - -
lsb-release is about 970Mbytes too small

I now have the three lsb packages the abe scripting was asking for in a single archive (*.txz) - it is shrunk down to about 187Mbytes.
That is, lsb-4.1-x86 flavor (which, on inspection, also includes all releases 3.0 .. 5.0 - they just change some symlinks).

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje