Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
CrazyRubes
CrazyRubes began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKcolor
Windows 7 install hangs

I am using Windows 7 x64 Home Premium trying to install Calibre 0.8.3. Whenever I try, the install hangs at the progress bar with no progress. Also, the only way to really stop the installer is by using Sysinternals Process Explorer (not built in task manager).

I have already tried disabling my antivirus (AVG), and downloading it again from a mirror

Unfortunately, I have no idea if I have the entire file because I don't know what its size is supposed to be (nor an md5 hash). The file I have is 39.7 MB.

Any ideas why the install doesn't do anything after getting to the progress bar?
I can give a screenshot upon request where it hangs.
CrazyRubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate forum
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Sizes and hashes are available on Calibre's Google code page. You should always download only from the official Calibre page, which links back to the Google code download, or the alternate mirror on the official page, which links to the Sourceforge project page.

Could you be a little more specific as to the meaning of "hangs"? What does it say it's doing when you think it hangs (no screenshot necessary, the text should suffice, I believe)? The installer has been known to spend quite some time at the stage where it's checking free space, although that has been drastically improved some versions ago. Also, with recent changes to the installer, it might have become a little slower again.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
CrazyRubes

Thanks for the hash. I verified the hash and the file itself is fine.

It gets up to the point where it says Installing Calibre.
Beneath that it says Please wait while the Setup Wizard installs calibre.

Then it says Status:
beneath that is the progress bar with no progress.

There is no other text.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you cannot get the installer to work, I suggest using a non installer based calibre, see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/portable.html or use the calibre version from portableapps.com
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be UAC waiting for you to approve the install. If that's not it, turn off UAC and try the install again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
CrazyRubes

JSWolf:
I decided to look into that before you replied and sure enough - turning off UAC for the installer and rebooting (kept saying an install was already in process) did the trick! Thanks everyone.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The installer with UAC on has an icon in the task bar waiting to be clicked. The screen you first see sits and waits until after that's done and you allow the installer to make changes.

That's how it is on Win 7 here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRubes View Post
JSWolf:
I decided to look into that before you replied and sure enough - turning off UAC for the installer and rebooting (kept saying an install was already in process) did the trick! Thanks everyone.
JSWOLF has the clue
I found it so easy to 'lose' the UAC request box (by doing anything else during an install).
You can NOT make it come to the surface, only minimize/close all the stuff OVER it until nothing is on top of it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote