Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #76
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangsiyan12134 View Post
I have a question about re-jailbreak:
Do I have to re-install all packages after firmware upgraded and re-jailbroken? Thanks.
re-jailbreak?

Your jailbreak **should** have survived a firmware upgrade.

Please give details of what you did and what the result was.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #77
Ezo
Ezo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi. Is this method working for all new versions of firmware? In particular, for 5.7.3 (2899390015)?
Ezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 02:00 AM   #78
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes...

The firmware version doesn't make a difference.
Different hardware models could be different, but only in the sense that the connections to use might be slightly different -- stuff like that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:07 AM   #79
Ezo
Ezo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Okay, just wanted to be sure.
Ezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #80
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezo View Post
Hi. Is this method working for all new versions of firmware? In particular, for 5.7.3 (2899390015)?
As eschwartz pointed out - this method does not depend on the firmware version, only the device model.

In this case, any touch screen device model.

The connector pad layout has been 'standardized' since the K4.
Only its location on the motherboard varies since then.

The models prior to the K4 are each different in their serial port connection.

The K4 was a 'transitional' model in many respects -
It is unlike anything either before or after it.
But then, it wasn't a touch screen device, so this thread is not intended to apply.

# 98 89
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #81
zhangsiyan12134
zhangsiyan12134 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
re-jailbreak?

Your jailbreak **should** have survived a firmware upgrade.

Please give details of what you did and what the result was.
I installed "Back door lock", and it did keeps me away from several OTA, but this time I still got the latest OTA(5.7.3). After I that I seems still have Jailbreak, but some of the software like "Screensaver" or "USBNetwork" won't work anymore. So I tried re-jailbreak through serial port, and those software still won't run. That's where this question comes from.
zhangsiyan12134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #82
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You must reinstall all update_*.bin type hacks (software) after a firmware update.

Your jailbreak survived intact, but the firmware update installed a pristine rootfs (system partition) -- which caused all custom modifications to be undone.
Custom modifications like, for instance, the parts of the Screensavers/USBNetwork hack that actually turn them on.

Reinstalling the hack will repair it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #83
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangsiyan12134 View Post
- - - -
So I tried re-jailbreak through serial port, and those software still won't run.
That's where this question comes from.
It **should** re-install all parts of the jailbreak when you re-boot the device with the power button (held 20 seconds or more - ignore any pop-up panel).

If not, then give us details of what you did to "re-jailbreak" - include links to anything you used.

If KUAL and MrPI are still working (and they should be after a re-boot) -
You have to re-install all update_*.bin packaged files after an Amazon update.
That is normal.

MrPI can install all of the packages by putting them all into /mrpackages at the same time.

Last edited by knc1; 04-05-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #84
zhangsiyan12134
zhangsiyan12134 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Quote:
It **should** re-install all parts of the jailbreak when you re-boot the device with the power button (held 20 seconds or more - ignore any pop-up panel).

If not, then give us details of what you did to "re-jailbreak" - include links to anything you used.

If KUAL and MrPI are still working (and they should be after a re-boot) -
You have to re-install all update_*.bin packaged files after an Amazon update.
That is normal.

MrPI can install all of the packages by putting them all into /mrpackages at the same time.
Thanks! After re-install all packages, they works fine.
zhangsiyan12134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #85
pw3
pw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with others

Device: pw3,aura,koa2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
Amazon has finally pissed me off, and I am going to serial jb my pw3 5.7.2 with pl2303hx board. Will keep on updating, my board will take some time to arrive.
any progress? my pw3 got hit with silent ota 5.7.3.1 and jb didn't survive. look like this is the only route!

also OT.. does anyone else find the human verification thing hard as h3ll to get correct? i guess it means i'm colorblind or inhuman?
pw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #86
pw3
pw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with others

this is pretty helpful to better understand the process:

http://jcjc-dev.com/2016/04/08/rever...r-1-find-uart/
Old 04-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #87
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw3 View Post
this is pretty helpful to better understand the process:

http://jcjc-dev.com/2016/04/08/rever...r-1-find-uart/
Two nits:
The serial port connection point has been standardized on the K4..KV devices.
It is way too small a pad layout to install pins.

Check out yours, or look at any of the many board pictures here.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #88
pw3

Quote:
Two nits:
The serial port connection point has been standardized on the K4..KV devices.
It is way too small a pad layout to install pins.

Check out yours, or look at any of the many board pictures here.
awesome thanks for all your work

minor miracle happened courtesy of gandalf the paperwhite.. i was shutting it down to pry it open and it instead rebooted flashed ## gandalf ## and kual works again!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #89
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw3 View Post
awesome thanks for all your work

minor miracle happened courtesy of gandalf the paperwhite.. i was shutting it down to pry it open and it instead rebooted flashed ## gandalf ## and kual works again!
When the Amazon update was finished, the Kindle should have re-booted -
That re-boot **should** have caused the bridge code to re-install all parts of the jailbreak.
"should" as in: was expected to

I am not sure why a second re-boot was required.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #90
pw3

Quote:
When the Amazon update was finished, the Kindle should have re-booted -
That re-boot **should** have caused the bridge code to re-install all parts of the jailbreak.
"should" as in: was expected to

I am not sure why a second re-boot was required.
i forgot that i had did the hotplug fix

my steps were:

a. freak out when i saw it had updated
b. check if all my files were still on the kindle
c. try to do the experimental browser break again
4. cp -r everything on the kindle to local hd
e. factory reset (all files gone)
f. copy jb zip to try browser break again which didn't work
g. cp -r everything backed up locally to the kindle root
h. try to shut it off to break case open
9. rebooted and it jb'd itself

thanks again!