Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #61
moonshot
Connoisseur
moonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: Kobo touch
If you paid money to see a 'singer' billed as the next Diana Ross and all she could do was make a sound not much better than your neighbours cat, you might want your money back; feeling that the word singer was misleading.

No different from someone putting words onto paper and selling the story as a download.

At least who ever hired the singer has a responsibility in this. So unless the self published 'author' is giving their book away for free, who is vetting these books to make sure that they reach a minimum standard.
moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #62
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
If you paid money to see a 'singer' billed as the next Diana Ross and all she could do was make a sound not much better than your neighbours cat, you might want your money back; feeling that the word singer was misleading.

No different from someone putting words onto paper and selling the story as a download.

At least who ever hired the singer has a responsibility in this. So unless the self published 'author' is giving their book away for free, who is vetting these books to make sure that they reach a minimum standard.
Being a singer in no way, shape or form implies being a "The next Diana Ross". Neither does being an author imply they are the next Charles Dickens. But even if a singer's talents were overstated, they are still a singer. The band playing at the corner bar for tips are still in fact musicians. You might not like a singer. You might not like a restaurant. You might not like a book. Deal with it.

If you need someone to vet a book for you, that's easily available. There is word of mouth and there are reviews. Pick people whose opinions you trust and listen to them. You'll have more vetted books than you could read in a lifetime.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
No. I would feel the billing as "the next Diana Ross" was the misleading part.

Why are you being so obtuse about this? Even if you found enough people to agree that a "line in the sand" needs to be drawn, you know they'd never agree on WHERE it needs to be drawn. So what's the point? There will never be a universal standard of quality that limits the usage of the word "author." Nor should there be. And if, by chance, there were .... I'd wager someone--somewhere--would be lobbying to exclude some of the people who would pass your personal litmus test for inclusion.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #64
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:

You're assigning an aspect of value to the word author that it doesn't inherently possess. The word author, in and of itself, does not carry any implication of quality. Nor should it.

In the above example, you don't have any reason to complain because she used the word "singer". You might feel you have the right to complain because she was called "the next Diana Ross", but that's a personal judgment. Who gets to decide what a "good" singer is?

No one is vetting them; the word author does not carry that implication.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #65
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Even if you found enough people to agree that a "line in the sand" needs to be drawn, you know they'd never agree on WHERE it needs to be drawn. So what's the point? There will never be a universal standard of quality that limits the usage of the word "author." Nor should there be. And if, by chance, there were .... I'd wager someone--somewhere--would be lobbying to exclude some of the people who would pass your personal litmus test for inclusion.
If someone has to draw a line in the sand, I hereby nominate myself. I promise to do a good job and protect you all from terrible writing.

I hope no one is too terribly attached to either Dan Brown or James Patterson, because we won't be calling them authors after I draw my line.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #66
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had some time to kill while waiting for a movie. I went to a Chinese restaurant, but it was too crowded, so I went to a different Chinese restaurant that was empty. This should have been a sign, but we ate their anyway. The food was awful.

However, it was still a restaurant, despite the food being bad.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #67
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
If someone has to draw a line in the sand, I hereby nominate myself. I promise to do a good job and protect you all from terrible writing.

I hope no one is too terribly attached to either Dan Brown or James Patterson, because we won't be calling them authors after I draw my line.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #68
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Quote:

Once you light the bonfires, where do you stop?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #69
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Hmm?? I kind of like your line. Can I stand with you?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Sounds good to me. Where do I sign?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #71
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why are you being so obtuse about this? Even if you found enough people to agree that a "line in the sand" needs to be drawn, you know they'd never agree on WHERE it needs to be drawn.
Asked much the same question earlier and got no answer. Don't expect one now. Starting to think that this is the creature under the bridge.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #72
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Asked much the same question earlier and got no answer. Don't expect one now. Starting to think that this is the creature under the bridge.
Clown? With big pompoms on his yellow costume and balloons that float?

We need some silver dollars ASAP!
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #73
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Clown? With big pompoms on his yellow costume and balloons that float?
Ok.. Now that I've stopped laughing. Yes, of course. A Clown...
Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #74
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
I have purchased ebooks from big publishing houses that had an inexcusable number of errors, including bad global replaces, words missing accent marks, hyphens not cleaned up, missing table of contents, lots of scan errors that should have been caught with basic spell checking, and other errors not found in a print edition. In other words, the BPHs have minimal standards themselves. I will grant you that buying a self-published book is more likely to have errors that would make a middle school English teacher cringe than you would see from a BPH release, but from what I see, a lot of reviewers will call that out and downrate the book accordingly.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #75
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
A writer is someone who writes.

An author is someone who has written something and put it out (usually in book form) with their name on it. To me, the two biggest differences between an author and a writer are that the author has first, finished something, and second, put it out there with their name on it.

I have written four novels, all of which are available on Amazon. Two are available in print, two only in eBook. I've worked as a ghostwriter, so my name's only on the latter two. I made thousands writing the first two, but I can't claim to be the author.

I haven't made as much from the others, but I certainly am the author.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote