Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #3781
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nope, it's just that 3.x on 2.x HW is not supported, which probably caused it to pull a FW 2.x config instead of the appropriate 3.x one, and as such it doesn't include support for the dedicated CJK fallback font.

Or something else related to FW/device misdetection. As I said, unsupported.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #3782
derek_ni
derek_ni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
On 3.4.2 firmware,I cannot change Chinese book body font by replace CJK, but I can change English book body font by replace Serif_Regular. So,Partially,this font hack succeed. And I can change Chinese book body font by replace CJK on 3.2.1, let me belive that there must be have a way to change the default East Asian font.
derek_ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #3783
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What book format in each case?
Is this on the DX you list in your info box on the left?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #3784
derek_ni
derek_ni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What book format in each case?
Is this on the DX you list in your info box on the left?
@knc1,Thanks for your reminder of book format, although I did not understand what are you mean when I saw your comment. Until I having seen one guy in china kindle3 forum said that on 3.4 firmware font hack take effect only in kf7 mobi format, I realized what you are meaning. And I tested,it is true that changing font only take effect in old mobi format,not in azw3 format.

Now, My DXG work on 3.4.2 firmware and everything is good! Also great Thanks to NiLuJe for your Font Hack!!!
derek_ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:38 AM   #3785
drauger
Enthusiast
drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle4NT
Is it possible to add mpop (or any other lightweight mail client) to usbNetwork? As far as I understand mpop should be compiled statically and copied to usbnet/bin directory.
drauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 04:46 AM   #3786
mpathy
mpathy began at the beginning.

Device: B00A / Kindle 3 3G + WiFi (Europe) / K3, K3GB
Hi There.. I am sorry for this post, normally I hate people like me now on forum threads.. :/

But, I did the custom software thing on my old Kindle (B00A) a long long time ago and now I dont know where to start with updating, or maybe better, first completely reset and do the stuff from scratch..

Dont get me wrong the device is still working, but what I find out shortly after the updates - my Kindle had a worse battery life than before.

Which was no problem as I mostly read at home or on short train rides or such things.

No I am on some very big travels without a lot of places to recharge and I want my former battery life back.

If you tell me, it will always be worse than the original firmware/software, I would maybe reset it somehow, because I really only need book reading for the travel.

If you say "naw our most current firmware/software for your device is even better than the original one in battery life" then of course I want a secure way to get from an ancient version of the software to the newest one.

My device information again:
B00A Kindle 3 3G + WiFi (Europe) K3, K3GB

It says..
Version: Kindle 3.4.2 (--some long number--) in the bottom of the settings screen

Also it says these two things in the file system:

Quote:
$Id: info.txt 8516 2012-09-15 21:49:46Z NiLuJe $

Hello! If you're wondering what all this weird stuff on your Kindle is,
I'm a jailbreak hack! There's a good chance that I came from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

I'm at version 0.11.N, so, if you wish to uninstall me, you'll at least need
the uninstaller from that version.

-- NiLuJe
and

Quote:
$Id: info.txt 8953 2012-11-15 23:23:21Z NiLuJe $

Hello! If you're wondering what all this weird stuff on your Kindle is,
I'm a usbnetwork hack! There's a good chance that I came from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

I'm at version 0.46.N, so, if you wish to uninstall me, you'll at least need
the uninstaller from that version.

NOTE: Rename the 'DISABLED_auto' file to 'auto' if you want your Kindle to act
as Ethernet Over USB instead of Mass Storage USB by default.
Make sure you config is sane before doing this, though.

-- NiLuJe
Hope that helps to give me some hints.

Thanks a lot in advance!
mpathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #3787
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Li-Ion batteries age.
Replace battery with a new one first, before trying to fix something that might not be broke.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #3788
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@drauger: Probably, depending on the exact client and its dependencies, but it's way out of scope for USBNet, so, not by me .

@mpathy: What @knc1 said .
Old 09-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #3789
lunarian_leah
lunarian_leah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Stuck on "ScreenSavers hack has been successfully installed"

I have successfully installed jb and screensavers hack I believe, but I am trying to display the cover of the most recently opened book as the screensaver, so I placed a blank file titled "cover.txt" in the linkss folder. I have installed the jb on a K3G with firmware 3.4.2. What am I doing wrong that it will only display the default "screensavers hack has been successfully installed image"
lunarian_leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #3790
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarian_leah View Post
I have successfully installed jb and screensavers hack I believe, but I am trying to display the cover of the most recently opened book as the screensaver, so I placed a blank file titled "cover.txt" in the linkss folder. I have installed the jb on a K3G with firmware 3.4.2. What am I doing wrong that it will only display the default "screensavers hack has been successfully installed image"
What format is the book file?
Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #3791
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@lunarian_leah:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarian_leah View Post
"cover.txt"
Old 10-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #3792
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
A hopefully quick question for you. I subscribe to a magazine that periodically manages to mangle their kindle version and the cover extraction software does not retrieve the proper image. I have contacted them multiple times about this without having them correct the problem. Given this, I am looking for a way to work around the problem.

I took a very quick look at the code and it appears to me that you are pulling the cover from <name>.sdr/assets/metadata.kfx when available. Would it be possible for me to correct whatever is wrong with that file to get the proper cover displayed? What tools can I use to do so? Will this work, or will the firmware detect my changes and "correct" them?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #3793
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dhdurgee: I have no idea if magazines are actually shipped as KFX (they certainly didn't use to), but if they actually do, then, no, you're probably screwed.

Not that you're possibly also screwed even if they're shipped as Mobi/KF8, because I'd imagine those to be encrypted, so you'd probably have to do more than mess with metadata (which I'm don't remember if we actually can on encrypted mobis anyway).

I'd be glad to have a look at one of the file to see if I can figure out what trips the script though .
Old 10-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #3794
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@dhdurgee: I have no idea if magazines are actually shipped as KFX (they certainly didn't use to), but if they actually do, then, no, you're probably screwed.

Not that you're possibly also screwed even if they're shipped as Mobi/KF8, because I'd imagine those to be encrypted, so you'd probably have to do more than mess with metadata (which I'm don't remember if we actually can on encrypted mobis anyway).

I'd be glad to have a look at one of the file to see if I can figure out what trips the script though .
You can presume that I can use KindleUnpack on the magazines in question. The problem is that the magazines are missing something in their headers.

I have attached the -d results from KindleUnpack as well as the cover image that is actually there although it is not being retrieved for cover mode.

I took a look at the .sdr directory on the kindle but see no metadata there.

I just had another thought. Can I process the cover on my laptop and then simply replace the image in the cover_cache directory? Would I need to exit and return to the magazine to get it to display properly?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image00146.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	166793  
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #3795
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If KindleUnpack gets it right, there's definitely something fishy going on, and I'll need a test file to figure it out .

(I assume you enabled periodicals support in the KUAL extension?)

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet