Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jim, is there any reason we cannot deactivate ADE or an active device in order to get back these activations?
I second the question.
If I am allowed by EULA to have 6 authorized devices- and I sell, update, reinstall on any of them- I could run into that exact problem? Well, I did run into it already.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
dms
dms began at the beginning.

Device: ezReader Pocket Pro
I ran into the same issue last week with the "Too Many Activation Error" I have not heard back from digital editions support and if you read their forums, there are many people in the same situation. It was definately my fault since I didn't realize that activations are not by device too and I was so excited when I got my new reader. I downloaded some books from my library and that is when it hit me. I can't read my borrowed books, but at least I can reborrow them if my activations ever get cleared.
dms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #18
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Well, I have the same problem now. I've just sent the ticket so, if I know nothing on next Wednesday I'll complain here
Did you get this resolved, and if not what was the case #?

(I responded to theonna privately, btw).

dms - same deal. I will jump in to fix things if you case has been dropped (I consider that to be more than a week) but I will need the case #. However the current average close rate for these support cases is 3 days (or at least that is what support tells me it is....).

Last edited by Jim Lester; 01-20-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I ran into this exact same problem that had my PRS-300 useless for over a week until it was fixed. Prior to Sony's conversion to ePub I never had a problem authorizing and de-authorizing a computer.

The big problem with Adobe's DRM scheme is the complete lack of transparency. The fact that deactivating a specific installation does not give you that activation back is only to be learned on some internet forums.

Now apparently there's this mysterious number of activations that are added to your account over time, but what are they? How many? How often?

Sony's Bookstore and iTunes both give you ways to look up how many computers and/or devices you have authorized and what your current limit is. Both give you a mechanism to de-authorize and give you that activation back.

Adobe must provide a self-help customer service option on their web site where a customer can see exactly how many activations have been used and how many are left. And if they won't change how deactivations work then at least provide a mechanism to request more without having to wait a week for a return e-mail or call tech support only to be told the issue has to be referred up the chain.

rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #20
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I ran into this a couple computers ago, and it was fixed in a couple days. But I can see it happening again, and soon! As we get more and more electronics, and want to read our library books on them, the lack of ability to add new electronics is a real bummer.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #21
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Did you get this resolved, and if not what was the case #?
No, I haven't gotten it resolved, sorry to annoy you. The case is #0181387235. I apologize to disturb you, I understand they have a lot of problems but I've tried to call by phone twice and when I was transferred to the department for this, nobody answered the phone.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I understand they have a lot of problems but I've tried to call by phone twice and when I was transferred to the department for this, nobody answered the phone.
[emphasis mine]

Seriously? That's horrible. I'd never expect something like that from Adobe.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Quote:
No, I haven't gotten it resolved, sorry to annoy you. The case is #0181387235. I apologize to disturb you, I understand they have a lot of problems but I've tried to call by phone twice and when I was transferred to the department for this, nobody answered the phone.
I can't see enough information in the case to fix this. Please send me a private message with either your AdobeID or the exact and full text of the error messages (I'll need all the numbers, etc after the error code: E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS)

Part of the problem here is that our Phone support isn't doing it's job of correctly telling people that the correct mechanism is to use the web portal (no phone support for ADE) - http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions - click on 'Submit a web case'.

(and yes Valloric, I agree it just not right.... )
Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Part of the problem here is that our Phone support isn't doing it's job of correctly telling people that the correct mechanism is to use the web portal (no phone support for ADE) - http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions - click on 'Submit a web case'.

(and yes Valloric, I agree it just not right.... )
Well then, we agree: it's just not right.

If the correct procedure needs to be followed then Adobe needs to instruct users on what the correct procedure really is. As you've said, Phone Support should tell them what to do.

I do appreciate the help you're giving these people. It's not your job and you're still doing it. That goes a long way in my book.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #25
dms
dms began at the beginning.

Device: ezReader Pocket Pro
That would be great. I've been waiting since 1/13. I actually have 2 case numbers because I tried to do the online chat and that did not work so the support person opened another ticket. I've tried updating it a couple times adding all the info that I thought the techs would need to fix it, but I have not heard back. Here are my case numbers. #0202916368 & #0181381645

It definately was my fault being new to ebooks, I did not understand how all the activations actually work together. Thank you for your help.
dms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #26
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Done.

Edit: oops - this was for dms - his activations are reset

Last edited by Jim Lester; 01-20-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #27
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've sent the message and I think that support is a bit overhelmed with this (I've called to Spanish support, and no person attends you, it's an automatic SW to transfer the call).
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #28
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Quote:
I've sent the message
I got it and have reset your activations.

Quote:
I think that support is a bit overhelmed with this (I've called to Spanish support, and no person attends you, it's an automatic SW to transfer the call).
Although I am much more familiar with how support works than I was two years ago (and this isn't necessarily a good thing), I've got no clue about how the non-english phone lines are staffed, so I can't say for sure whats going on there.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How many ADE activations do we get and how many device activations?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I got it and have reset your activations.

Although I am much more familiar with how support works than I was two years ago (and this isn't necessarily a good thing), I've got no clue about how the non-english phone lines are staffed, so I can't say for sure whats going on there.
Thank you very much. And about support, it's very normal in Spain.