Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The tablet I'm considering for reading at home is the Samsung Tab A 10.5 inch, 2018 version. (Even though I dislike Samsung as a brand... it's the only tablet that has been recently released, and has Android 8.1.)

It comes in at 529 grams, 26cm wide, 16.1cm high, and 0.8cm thick.

Let's say that this is A LOT smaller and lighter than something like my illustrated LotR: ...
And a whole lot bigger and heavier than an eInk Reader (which is were I last read LotR) or a paperback book (which is were I originally read LotR). I consider my Kindle Fire 7" too heavy and uncomfortable for reading (besides not liking the LCD screen) and it weighs almost half what your Samsung weighs. I'm guessing you can get used to anything, but I wouldn't want to get used to reading on a tablet (or its smaller cousin, the smartphone).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #47
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, I've never been a fan of hardcovers and almost never bought them, except non-fiction books with large color photos. Hardcovers are hellishly uncomfortable to read, imho.

So yep, a tablet weighing 500 grams or even 300 grams is way too heavy.
Lol, same. I've never been a fan of hardcovers, except for them looking pretty on the bookshelves. I have books where I have the HC only read once (immediately upon release) then later repurchased as MMPB or TPB for frequent re-reading.

That said, I do enjoy reading on my iPads although I usually have them propped against a pillow or some other stand. The 9.7" (4:3, 437g) model is roughly equivalent to 2x 7.0" (2:3) side by side.

Choice of reading device pretty much depends on what book is available where. If the book is already on the PW3, I'd read there. The tablet is really useful if the book I wish to read needs to first be processed (de-drm, conversion, etc) before I can transfer it to the Kindle.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #48
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I still have a 5 year old tablet lying around (the first Galaxy Tab, running the nowadays ancient Tegra II cpu, and a custom stock Android 5.1.1 ROM). It can't do much nowadays, as some applications are already dropping Android 5.1., and the CPU is too slow for current-day Youtube and Internet.

I think it'd be usable for reading though, if Moon+Pro still and Fora Dictionary still support Android 5.1.1, if I could get the battery replaced. Maybe I should order a battery somewhere, and try it. If it works, I can read on it, and I save €325 for at least a little while. If it doesn't, I'll maybe lose €20 on the battery or so.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #49
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
The tablet I'm considering for reading at home is the Samsung Tab A 10.5 inch, 2018 version. (Even though I dislike Samsung as a brand... it's the only tablet that has been recently released, and has Android 8.1.)

I got a Samsung Tab A 10.5 inch, 2018 just over a week ago and am pretty pleased with it, I think about the best of the mid priced tablets of the size.

I have the preceding model (Tab A 10.1 2016) which also served well. The 10.5inch is just slightly bigger in size overall, but not as much as I thought it was going to be, and the extra screen is useful (I read double column, landscape) - it is about the same overall dimensions as the older Tab 10.1s were. The 10.5 is much better looking and finished appearance, looks more like a higher value product than the 10.1 (2016) does.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #50
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I think its sometimes hard to explain why some of us can't read on tablets on phones. The assumption is often we are not trying this or that. Or have brightness too high. Even though its the first thing any human would do to try. And many of us have tried it all. Inverted, night setting non blue thingie, low brightness. Backround colors. Heck, I even tried those apps on a tablet for adjusting all kinds of stuff. Just does not work.

And it also doesn't always mean there is some serious issues with ones eyes.

There is just something about how the font is on the top of the screen with a e-ink reader. Again, I can't explain it. It was a wonder when I got my first kindle, the K1 in 2008. And I still can't explain it. Eyes glide over and don't strain. They feel relaxed and I get get inside the story and forget everything else. With phone and tablet, i am always just outside of the story as I notice the reading part. The physical part of it. Again, I just can't explain it.

I need my e-ink reader, in my case kindles. Or I wouldn't read. And I don't want to go back to that dark dark before 2008 world. paperbacks were giving me issues back then so I stopped reading. I had no choice, until kindle.

And again, its choices. So many of them now for so many different eyes. In the end the book matters, not how we do it. If I could read on my phone I might do it. Heck, would have saved me some money over the years. But for some of us, its just not an option, no matter all the different things we already tried.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #51
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Eyes glide over and don't strain. They feel relaxed and I get get inside the story and forget everything else. With phone and tablet, i am always just outside of the story as I notice the reading part. The physical part of it. Again, I just can't explain it.
Yep, exactly this.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #52
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
I think its sometimes hard to explain why some of us can't read on tablets on phones. The assumption is often we are not trying this or that. Or have brightness too high. Even though its the first thing any human would do to try. And many of us have tried it all. Inverted, night setting non blue thingie, low brightness. Backround colors. Heck, I even tried those apps on a tablet for adjusting all kinds of stuff. Just does not work.

And it also doesn't always mean there is some serious issues with ones eyes.

There is just something about how the font is on the top of the screen with a e-ink reader. Again, I can't explain it. It was a wonder when I got my first kindle, the K1 in 2008. And I still can't explain it. Eyes glide over and don't strain. They feel relaxed and I get get inside the story and forget everything else. With phone and tablet, i am always just outside of the story as I notice the reading part. The physical part of it. Again, I just can't explain it.

I need my e-ink reader, in my case kindles. Or I wouldn't read. And I don't want to go back to that dark dark before 2008 world. paperbacks were giving me issues back then so I stopped reading. I had no choice, until kindle.

And again, its choices. So many of them now for so many different eyes. In the end the book matters, not how we do it. If I could read on my phone I might do it. Heck, would have saved me some money over the years. But for some of us, its just not an option, no matter all the different things we already tried.
E-ink definitely looks very different to me from LCD. I know what you mean about it looking like the ink is on top. I once tried to explain this to a family member who happily reads on LCD, even held my reader up next to her tablet, and she couldn't see what I was talking about.

As far as I know I don't have any serious eye issues, just garden variety myopia and astigmatism. I did adjust the brightness. However, when I tried reading on my phone for an extended period, the next day my eyes were irritated and I was seeing halos around lights, which was not good when driving. Thankfully my eyes were back to normal the day after that. I've never had an eye problem like that before or since.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:32 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

Let's say that this is A LOT smaller and lighter than something like my illustrated LotR:

IIRC, it weighs in at 1600 grams, and according to Amazon sizes it should be 34cm wide, 26cm high, and 3.4cm thick when opened in the middle.

Compare:
Tablet: 529 grams. 26 x 16 x 0.8
Book: 1600 grams. 34 x 26 x 3.4

Y U complain about tablet size?
Way too heavy and large. My Asus is 298g, 230,2 x 134,5 x 6,68. (i was mistaken, it's not 8.4" but 8") And that's a perfect size. Nice bezels to hold on to. Compared to my One: 230g, 195,1 x 138,5 x 6.9.

8" (or more or less 8") is a perfect size for me.

And saying that a tablet is lighter than a hardcover: I never cared for hardcovers, way too clumsy and heavy. I always had mass market pockets and switched to electronic devices as soon as I could

Edit:
Samsung apparantly released 2 tablets (10.5") recently. The Galaxy Tab A and the Galaxy Tab S4. Difference is in the processor (450 vs 835), the screen (LCD vs OLED), resolution (1920x1200 vs 2560x1600) and price (300 euro vs 600 euro)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 09-19-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #54
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can and have and will read on LCD screens. But still prefer e-ink. But if I do read on an LCD (or OLED) screen, I will only do it if it has a very high resolution. Which is why most 10" android tablets just don't cut it.

Compare the Samsung Katsunami is considering to my Asus:

Samsung: 10.5": 1920x1200 [at least it's not 16:9, but 16:10 and HD]
Asus: 8": 2048x1536 [4:3]

216dpi vs 320dpi.

I bought that Asus specifically because of the high resolution (the 4:3 was a bonus) (and because it was one of the few android tablets that didn't run an ancient CPU)

I think that a lot of people get problems reading from LCD because everything is either too sharp, or too low res. E-ink, like paper, smudges 'round the edges...
Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #55
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Resolution isn't that big of an issue for me. I've had a Kindle with 166 dpi, and that was enough for me as well. My current (old) tablet is 1280x800 @ 10.1 inch (150 dpi), and never had any problems there either. Maybe it's the one advantage of having poor vision: higher resolutions stop being useful at an earlier stage.

The KA1 is a nice size, but it's at the limit. Any bigger, and it becomes too big for a single page device. Any bigger than the KA1, and I'd want two pages side by side, and 8 inch is too small to do it, especially at a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Also, if I get a new tablet, I want to be able to use it for Youtube video's (tutorials), and it works better with 16:9 or 16:10.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #56
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Resolution isn't that big of an issue for me. I've had a Kindle with 166 dpi, and that was enough for me as well. My current (old) tablet is 1280x800 @ 10.1 inch (150 dpi), and never had any problems there either. Maybe it's the one advantage of having poor vision: higher resolutions stop being useful at an earlier stage.
I don't mind that the resolution of my One is lower than my tablet. I still think you cannot compare the dpi of a LCD/OLED device with the dpi of an e-ink device. Or a paper device... Technology is different. But comparing two tablets of the same size, with different resolutions is something I absolutely do (which is why I wouldn't buy a 10" device with "only" a HD resolution, especially not if I wanted to use that device for reading, I already get annoyed when I'm programming on my SP2!)

Quote:
The KA1 is a nice size, but it's at the limit. Any bigger, and it becomes too big for a single page device
True. That's why I don't want a device (for reading) larger than 8". Because I find 10" is too small for a 2-page device..
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #57
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
True. That's why I don't want a device (for reading) larger than 8". Because I find 10" is too small for a 2-page device..
A 10.5 inch tablet gets you two 7.2 inch pages side by side. Bigger than an H2O, and not too much smaller than a KA1
Old 09-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #58
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
The iPad Air 2 and Pro models actually feature fully laminated displays so that air gap is barely there. I did notice getting fewer migraines when I switched from iPad Air to iPad Pro 9.7 (fully laminated display + TrueTone). Pricey though, but very nice for reading comics. Granted, still not as comfy as e-ink for prose.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-19-2018 at 10:06 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #59
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
A 10.5 inch tablet gets you two 7.2 inch pages side by side. Bigger than an H2O, and not too much smaller than a KA1
Are you sure about that? I got two 5.2" (diagonal) screens given a 10.5" (diagonal) screen (with a 16:9 ratio).

Edit: whoops, never mind. I cut the height in half and I shouldn't have.

Last edited by John F; 09-19-2018 at 10:36 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #60
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
A 10.5 inch tablet gets you two 7.2 inch pages side by side.
I checked that on my Tab A 10.5 with a reading app open and I agree.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote