Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've tried most of the fonts mentioned in these threads by now, both serif and sans serif. My absolute favorite is CharisSil Modified Larger, an earlier version of ChareInk. Of course I tried the newer versions too, but the Modified Larger is more comfortable to read, for me at least. I use it with the boldness set at 1.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #62
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
I don't have a fontasy to share, other than I prefer anything with feet that is readable. I'm not sure why people like fonts that are difficult to read.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #63
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGottlieb View Post
I don't have a fontasy to share, other than I prefer anything with feet that is readable. I'm not sure why people like fonts that are difficult to read.
One possibility is to convey a certain effect. As an example from the comic books, a character named Timber Wolf spoke in a manner that was supposed to sound more like a growl than a voice. Due to that, his dialog was rendered in a very scratchy way that was less legible and that was very distinctive from the other characters (whose dialog was rendered in regular lettering).

Another example is in the comic strip Pogo which had a character named Deacon Mushrat (had to check Wikipedia for the name) whose dialog was rendered in a gothic lettering style (like used in some old Bibles) that reflected his religious nature.

Likewise, when writing my stories I use different typefaces for different types of text (see my previous post). I do it for clarity and for effect.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:57 AM   #64
rainerm
Addict
rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My favorite font while typing: Times New Roman

My favorite font for reading: Verdana
rainerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #65
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Baskerville is my favorite when available. I don't know why. It just is.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #66
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have tried quite a few fonts over the years and different devices. For the last year or so I have been gravitating towards Roboto.

I used FontForge to take Medium weight and rename it as Regular and that way it is just perfect for me. The best font is the one you do not notice when reading.

Roboto has been created by Google for Android. It was optimized for reading on small screens. It has been available under Apache license since 2012 and I have been using it on and of since.

When I want to try another font I usually visit fonts.google.com .
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #67
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have tried quite a few fonts over the years and different devices. For the last year or so I have been gravitating towards Roboto.

I used FontForge to take Medium weight and rename it as Regular and that way it is just perfect for me. The best font is the one you do not notice when reading.

Roboto has been created by Google for Android. It was optimized for reading on small screens. It has been available under Apache license since 2012 and I have been using it on and of since.

When I want to try another font I usually visit fonts.google.com .
I used to use roboto. I modified it for line spacing, and I think I fiddled with the character spacing.

My favourite (for a while now) is Gill Sans.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Have you tried Google's Noto Serif? Another nice, Google designed font.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote