Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
LeonidasM
LeonidasM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Splitting files

Hello, I am new here. I just downloaded sigil to create a new ebook. I was missing the validation tick and found out, that this is now an plugin (flight crew), whcih I had to install. Now I am looking for the button "Chapter split", which is not available. Does anyone have an idea, how I can get it ???
LeonidasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonidasM View Post
Now I am looking for the button "Chapter split", which is not available. Does anyone have an idea, how I can get it ???
There's no Chapter Split button. To split a chapter at the cursor press Ctrl+Enter.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
There's no Chapter Split button. To split a chapter at the cursor press Ctrl+Enter.
There is also the Edit > Split at Cursor.

Or you could press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to place a Marker, and then F6 (or Edit > Split at Markers) to split chapters.

Slightly More Technical Answer:

The Marker is a specific thing Sigil places in the HTML: <hr class="sigil_split_marker"/> which Sigil then uses to split the file in two. If you wanted, you could go do a Search/Replace or Regex in Code View and insert that wherever you needed. Then press F6.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-07-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like the icons. Here too one must place the cursor immediately after the last character in a chapter (or otherwise mark the spot). Then click on the cute little icon (directly beneath Help on my screen) showing a larger page on the left and two smaller ones on the right. If I hover the cursor over it, I see SPLIT AT MARKER.

I do this after I have added the style sheet to the first html file containing my entire book. Splitting after that is done, I get the style sheet automagically added to each subsequent file.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I like the icons. Here too one must place the cursor immediately after the last character in a chapter (or otherwise mark the spot). Then click on the cute little icon (directly beneath Help on my screen) showing a larger page on the left and two smaller ones on the right. If I hover the cursor over it, I see SPLIT AT MARKER.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that button:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SigilSplitCursor.png
Views:	175
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	160488

That does the same exact thing as the menu.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If the tooltip says, "SPLIT AT MARKER" then there's something wrong with your version of Sigil. That's the "Split at Cursor" button. Hovering over it with the mouse should display the following tooltip:

Quote:
Split At Cursor

Split the current file into two files using your cursor location as the dividing point.
There is no "Split at Marker(s)" button.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If the tooltip says, "SPLIT AT MARKER" then there's something wrong with your version of Sigil. That's the "Split at Cursor" button. Hovering over it with the mouse should display the following tooltip:

There is no "Split at Marker(s)" button.
Diap:

Didn't there used to be a "split at marker" icon, or...something? A few years ago? Or am I more senile than I thought?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #8
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
There isn't a "Chapter Split" button but there is a "Split at Cursor" button which should be in the top row of the toolbar -- in the middle -- directly underneath the Help menu tab.

Last edited by slowsmile; 12-08-2017 at 12:28 AM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Diap:

Didn't there used to be a "split at marker" icon, or...something? A few years ago? Or am I more senile than I thought?

Hitch
Not that I'm aware of. If there was, it was many moons ago. There's Insert Marker/Split at Markers menu items, but I don't remember a Split At Markers button/icon.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not that I'm aware of. If there was, it was many moons ago. There's Insert Marker/Split at Markers menu items, but I don't remember a Split At Markers button/icon.
I could well be thinking of the menu item. It's been a while since the Crew actually let me make books. ;-) Might be back on v.5.xx, I can't recall the number--the version that was uber-stable. Thx, Diap.

Hitch
Old 12-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Keystroke is F6, but I think it was only on the menu.

I do have a split at marker USER CLIP on my toolbar
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonidasM View Post
Hello, I am new here. I just downloaded sigil to create a new ebook. I was missing the validation tick and found out, that this is now an plugin (flight crew), whcih I had to install. Now I am looking for the button "Chapter split", which is not available. Does anyone have an idea, how I can get it ???
Why are we being so unhelpful? it's quite clear what he wants. Yes, there IS a Chapter Split button, near the centre of the icon bar. But it's called 'Split at Cursor'.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Why are we being so unhelpful? it's quite clear what he wants. Yes, there IS a Chapter Split button, near the centre of the icon bar. But it's called 'Split at Cursor'.
Wombat:

??? Nobody is being unhelpful. Everybody just ran through the options. Don't you find that people always respond with the way that they do something?

Hitch
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

There's at least three posts addressing the Spit At Cursor button (one even includes a picture with an arrow pointing to it). And in addition to already answering the question, there's also every conceivable way of splitting (at cursor or at marker) being pointed out as well (including keyboard shortcuts). I even included what the text of the tooltip of the button he was looking for should be when a mouse pointer hovers over it.

You have an odd definition of unhelpful.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-08-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wombat:

??? Nobody is being unhelpful. Everybody just ran through the options. Don't you find that people always respond with the way that they do something?

Hitch

"There's no Chapter Split button."

Yes there is. That just isn't its precise name.

"It's been a while since the Crew actually let me make books. ;-)"

But I do admire the way you always manage to slip in a reminder of your ultra-professional status :-)

Merry Christmas!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote