Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
ryansoldout
ryansoldout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Unhappy Kindle Keyboard not connecting to Mac

Hi there!

I purchased a Kindle Keyboard second hand yesterday, and I'm a bit a disappointed as I cant connect it to my Mac to transfer books across! Can anyone help me? I want to take it away on an overseas trip and daydreamed about reading a ton of books whilst I was away.

I have connected it through USB, the orange light at the bottom is lit up, but it doesnt appear as a drive.

I have registered the Kindle, and it shows up on my devices list on the Amazon website. However, it doesn't show up on my Send to Kindle app.

I have rebooted my computer, and completed a hard reset but none of this has worked.

It doesnt come up as connected at all in Disk Utility.

I am on OSX 10.9.5 and my Kindle is a 2nd Gen 2.5.6. I have also tried a few different USB cords and on a different Mac with no luck.

I hope this has given enough information! Any ideas?
ryansoldout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
For what it's worth - there is no across-the-board issue connecting KKs to Macs - I've done it a fair bit without incident. You've eliminated issues with the cable (assuming at least one tested good with a different device), and with your Mac. Can you get in touch with the seller?

Last edited by meeera; 07-11-2015 at 11:19 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
ryansoldout

Thanks for your reply, meeera! I might go out and buy a new cord just to be sure.

I would be happy if I could use the Send to Kindle app, but the device isnt even showing up there - would you have any idea about that?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansoldout View Post
I would be happy if I could use the Send to Kindle app, but the device isnt even showing up there - would you have any idea about that?
Sorry, no idea about that. Googling threw up Amazon's help page for Chrome send-to-kindle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201216060

and here's the section for the Mac app:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200902900

Is it charging through the cables you have? (Not that that always means they are good for data, apparently).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Do you see an email address for your Kindle (on the devices list)? You could try using that.

I agree it sounds like the USB connector is broken. That can happen independent of its ability to charge the device.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:30 AM   #6
ryansoldout

Hi eschwartz
I have sent it to that email address from the device list, and it sends through, I get a confirmation email, but does not sync to my Kindle Keyboard, and doesn't show up in content. I can send it to my iphone and it syncs up with the app there. I have registered my email address with the Kindle, too.

I'll take it to work tomorrow and see if I have a cable there. I don't really want to throw more money at a problem, but I guess I will buy a new cable if needs be.

Sigh! Does it really have to be so hard?

Last edited by ryansoldout; 07-12-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:40 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like something is fishy with that Kindle. Does it sync purchased books? (Or, do you buy your books from Amazon anyway??)

If you don't have any, you can definitely find free ebooks to test it with.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #8
ryansoldout

Not at the moment, I have a bunch of books from epub that I would rather not buy again.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:05 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Try "buying" this free, public domain ebook, and see if it syncs: http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Snark-.../dp/B004UJTD64
Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
It is possible to have a "charge only" cable. At least, I know micro-USB cables come that way. I've fooled myself with my GPS, by having a charge-only cable, when I needed one that can do data.

So if they cable is partially broken, or is a charge-only cable to begin with, that might be the whole problem. Can you try a new cable in a store, perhaps?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard, kindle, mac, osx 10.9.5