Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mobipocket File Format

I couldn't find any summary of the Mobipocket file format anywhere. Mobipocket don't document it, and although there's abviously been some reverse engineering to allow the MobiPerl tools and the various Python scripts, the code seems to be the documentation.

So - having spent some time with the various Perl and python scripts, and done a bit of googling on the PDB format, I've added some technical info to the wiki here, specifically to the PDB format page and the Mobipocket format page.

Hopefully others will contribute what they know, so we can build up a good description of the Mobipocket format, to help improve the tools.

Paul
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
BTW, the link to that info is MOBI (Format section)

Quite extensive information, thanks!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I couldn't find any summary of the Mobipocket file format anywhere. Mobipocket don't document it, and although there's abviously been some reverse engineering to allow the MobiPerl tools and the various Python scripts, the code seems to be the documentation.
Mobi actually does document it, but it takes a little digging on their site.
See http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...mobiformat.htm
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Mobi actually does document it, but it takes a little digging on their site.
See http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...mobiformat.htm
______
Dennis
I do not consider that to be a documentation of the format since it does not specify record 0.

For MobiPerl the intention was that the code together with the comments in the code should be te documentation of my current understanding of the format (mostly the MobiPocket headers).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
red_dragon
Daywalker
red_dragon is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
BTW, the link to that info is MOBI (Format section)

Quite extensive information, thanks!
This one is really helpfull! When I am back from vacation I will compare it with the information that I have found. Probably there will be nothing to add but one never knows...

If someone prefers C++ code over Perl or Python feel free to contact me (but expect a 2 weeks delay).
red_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I read the wike and it looks great. At the end I saw:

Quote:
Please also notice that there is a 63KB internal limitation for images (this is a restriction of the Mobipocket .PRC format). GIFs have to be smaller than 63KB. You can use GIF optimization programs such as Ulead Smart Saver to get GIFs smaller than 63KB. (If images are bigger than 63KB, they are automatically resized to fit in the limit by MobiGEN but you might not like the result). Jpeg images will use a lower Quality setting to get the image size down without reducing the pixel size.
Perhaps it is nice to no for some people that the very popular fileviewer Irfanview is capable of saving jpg's with a fixed size. I use it all the time when I want to create books
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Perhaps it is nice to no for some people that the very popular fileviewer Irfanview is capable of saving jpg's with a fixed size. I use it all the time when I want to create books
Irfanview is splendid, and I have it here. Another option is a free, open source application called Paint.net. It's intended to replace the Microsoft Photo Editor application offered as part of Office. It can be had here. (It requires the .NET 2.0 runtime, available from Windows Update.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote