Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
My take on the K3 microphone

I think the most obvious thing that this is for is to settle the lawsuits regarding colleges that could not give kindles out due to lobbying from blind associations. I'm assuming this would create an option for voice activated commands. If someone is blind this would be a Godsend...if not it would still be interesting. If you have a few hundread books in a number of folders it might be nice to say "Get Douglas Adams" or "Get Hamlet".

Other uses could be for a recorder to take lecture notes but I think that's largely secondary...if there's speech to text that would be interesting but I don't think it's totally there yet.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A number of colleges give out iPads. They aren't any more blind friendly than the Kindle are they? I don't remember hearing any problems about that, I wonder why?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Apple has been in classrooms for 25 or so years now so the connection is already there. Although I will say in my school they did remove all of the imacs and there is now linux computers in the library (saves on license costs vs windows)
Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
A number of colleges give out iPads. They aren't any more blind friendly than the Kindle are they?
Yes, they are. Much, much more blind friendly. The iPad has an integrated system called "VoiceOver" which makes it 100% accessible to blind users right out of the box. Brush your fingers over the screen to hear a spoken description of each user interface element; tap to active it. It's won a lot of praise for its accessibility by blind users.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I'm hoping for a candle app that allows you to "blow out" the candle.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Apple has been in classrooms for 25 or so years now so the connection is already there. Although I will say in my school they did remove all of the imacs and there is now linux computers in the library (saves on license costs vs windows)
Man, what is this world coming to? Time to walk up the mountain, never to come down again.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, they are. Much, much more blind friendly. The iPad has an integrated system called "VoiceOver" which makes it 100% accessible to blind users right out of the box. Brush your fingers over the screen to hear a spoken description of each user interface element; tap to active it. It's won a lot of praise for its accessibility by blind users.
Thanks, not having an iPad I'd never heard of that.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
mdovell
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Man, what is this world coming to? Time to walk up the mountain, never to come down again.
??

Not sure what you mean by that. Back in the day the OS mattered because there was hardly any compatibility with each other. Windows, Commodore, OS/2, Unix, Atari, DOS etc.

The internet has pretty much unified standards. Yes there are different browsers but for the most part the OS these days doesn't matter as long as

1) it can get onto the internet

2) it has an office suite

Yeah I'll admit Linux isn't exactly a place to go for games..but at the same point considering it's open source that's probably why.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
In your previous post you stated that iMacs were removed due to the licensing cost of Windows.
See, I never realized that iMacs were running Windows, I was secure in the notion that they ran OsX, seems I was out of the loop. Meaning that things are now moving at a speed where I can no longer keep pace. Hence, it is time to climb a mountain and spend the rest of my days contemplating the misery of the human race and its destructive behavior towards itself.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I'm hoping for a candle app that allows you to "blow out" the candle.

Any bets on how soon we see that app after the mic is enabled?
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
mdovell
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
In your previous post you stated that iMacs were removed due to the licensing cost of Windows.
See, I never realized that iMacs were running Windows, I was secure in the notion that they ran OsX, seems I was out of the loop. Meaning that things are now moving at a speed where I can no longer keep pace. Hence, it is time to climb a mountain and spend the rest of my days contemplating the misery of the human race and its destructive behavior towards itself.
O ok...well there were only a handful of them vs the windows pc's..It might be hard to justify when nearly everyone uses the same compatible software.

I use linux and it's ok within school...xp works fine..vista was bumpy
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
dcptcons4evr
Avid Reader
dcptcons4evr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
colleges that could not give kindles out due to lobbying from blind associations.
I don't think the blind lobby is that powerful, plus most colleges don't provide traditional textbooks in braille that's something that has to be sought out by the student.
dcptcons4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcptcons4evr View Post
I don't think the blind lobby is that powerful, plus most colleges don't provide traditional textbooks in braille that's something that has to be sought out by the student.
Nevertheless, it happened

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ed-settled.ars
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote