Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
Metrix84
Metrix84 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 3
Jailbreaking PW3

Hi all,

First post so be gentle, also I'll apologise in advance if this is in the wrong forum category.

SO.. I've just recently taken delivery of my Amazon Paperwhite 3 4GB version from ebay which I got for a steal. Anyway I've been reading about some of the fantastic hacks and jailbreaking that can be done and so I was wondering whether it would be possible with mine? Whether this be software based or using a serial connection.

The kindle is currently running 5.9.7 (3330440020), however there is an option to update her if required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Metrix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak

So long as you jailbreak before updating, I think you should be able to do it just in software/firmware. No hardware hacking required.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Metrix84
Metrix84 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 3
So I have downloaded the downgrade firmware 5.7.4 and followed the instructions to downgrade however when I go to the advanced options the 'update your kindle' is greyed out - Any assistance?
Metrix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looking at the linked page, I think I got it wrong. Firmware 5.9.7 is, I think, too new for it to work.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Serial jailbreak is your only option at this point in time.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, too late .

EDIT: Burned. .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
dav9317
dav9317 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation - 2015 release.
What the heck? I posted on Software Jailbreak for PW2, PW3, PW3W, KT2, KV, KOA and KT3 on 09/02/2018 and haven't received a response, but you get a response the same day?

I also want to serial jailbreak the paperwhite 3, I have a hakko fx-888 with little soldering experience. (hopefully there is an option not to need a soldering iron as an image I saw).

Last edited by dav9317; 09-04-2018 at 11:22 PM.
dav9317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dav9317: One request is about software, the other about hardware. That's as simple as that.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
dav9317
dav9317 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation - 2015 release.
@NiLuJe the software jailbreak would be a miracle. I need a hardware serial jailbreak. How possible would these images be
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...06&postcount=1
dav9317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I have no idea, hence the lack of answer.