Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: WHAT DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT *THIS* YEAR?
Kindle 230 35.49%
Sony 210 32.41%
Nook 77 11.88%
Kobo 70 10.80%
Backlit LED (incl iPad) 108 16.67%
Other 104 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #46
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Both a Sony 650 and a Kindle 3
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #47
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I got a Sony 600 earlier this year and an Ipod Touch 4 recently. I am not using the Sony anymore but just the Touch (I am not reading much though): it is smaller, versatile and sums up in one small device a number of functions. The negative part is that the battery does not last much: I spend quite an amount of time on Skype calls.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #48
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
I just got a Sony 350
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #49
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
A kindle 3 (and loving it), but also starting to think about something else that handles PDF a bit better, if such a reader exists.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #50
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Kindle 3 and iPad.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #51
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
After over 200 joining in the poll so far, it's interesting to see Kindle just traling Sony. Taking into account the international Kindle hype and the high number of new Kindlers at MR this year when weighed against those threads suggesting Sony has had its day, this surprises me.

When we consider that the poll covers only purchases in 2010 when Kindle has gained such a high profile and Sony some pretty bad press (and is often ignored in major newspaper and TV pieces about ebooks), it gets curiouser and curiouser.

And, of course, when Kindle is counted against ALL other devices in this relatively small sampling, it's way behind, when the impression is so often given that it's king of the marketplace. I wonder if this might have anything to do with its exclusive use of the Mobi format while the standard elsewhere is fast becoming ePub.

I'd like to see this poll kept active until Dec 31 to find if there's a swing in any direction over the Christmas period when, perhaps, those who are not as au fait with ebook readers and the wide choice range available as the gang here at MR buy devices as special stocking fillers.

I have no strong feelings for or against any reader or brand loyalty (though I use a Sony), but I'd guess any Christmas swing would favour Kindle, if only because even non-ereading folks have heard of it. Anyone else want to place a virtual bet?

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #52
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
After over 200 joining in the poll so far, it's interesting to see Kindle just traling Sony. Taking into account the international Kindle hype and the high number of new Kindlers at MR this year when weighed against those threads suggesting Sony has had its day, this surprises me.

When we consider that the poll covers only purchases in 2010 when Kindle has gained such a high profile and Sony some pretty bad press (and is often ignored in major newspaper and TV pieces about ebooks), it gets curiouser and curiouser.

And, of course, when Kindle is counted against ALL other devices in this relatively small sampling, it's way behind, when the impression is so often given that it's king of the marketplace. I wonder if this might have anything to do with its exclusive use of the Mobi format while the standard elsewhere is fast becoming ePub.
It is because this poll has zero value in determining which eBook readers have been selling in what quantities. The readers of MobileRead forums do not in any way represent the public at large. By definition they are the ones interested in the details of readers and formats, not just those who want to buy a device and read books.
The Kindle is targeted squarely at 'normal' people. It is designed from the ground up to be a simple to use, integrated system. I'd venture that most of the purchasers of a Kindle have no idea what eBook format it uses, or what the other formats are. They know that it comes from Amazon and buys books from Amazon, why should they care about more details than that? Why would most of them ever need to come to a forum to ask questions?
If you went to a car enthusiast forum and posted a question about which makes of cars they had bought, do you think the results would match the actual proportions of cars sold to the general public?
By this poll, of the 4 named readers, the Kindle has less than 33% market share of sales this year. Does that show:
a) The Kindle has actually only sold that proportion, or
b) This poll does not reflect reality
The poll may give interesting information about the MobileRead membership, but cannot be taken to represent anything outside that.

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-06-2010 at 08:18 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #53
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
I got my Nook in January 2010, but it was a pre-order from 2009. I assume it doesn't count for the purposes of this poll, even though I didn't get it until 2010?
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #54
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I have bought two Sonys and an Irex this year - but since I can only vote once, even with multiple selections, this cannot be accurately reflected in the poll. Also, only the Irex was bought from new, so not sure if the Sonys should count at all.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #55
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***It is because this poll has zero value in determining which eBook readers have been selling in what quantities***

Of course you're right, MurrayPaul. I'm not trying, though, to get an idea of over-all sales figures here (and they're not available) or the feeling of the 'general public' (also not available).

What this poll may show -- if a significant number join in -- is what devices are favoured by those who have at least a nodding acquaintance with ebook-dedicated reading devices and who investigated beyond the popular hype before pulling the trigger -- perhaps many who chose their device on the basis of advice offered her in the 'Which One Should I Buy?' forum at MR from experienced users or those who have already had experience of a range of devices.

Quite honestly, I can't undertstand the negative comment on this poll. I thought long and hard (and took a little moderator advice) before posting it because I genuinely felt it might be of value in assessing the choice of 'informed' buyers (MR members) over the course of the year. My apologies if I'm wrong. So far, though, it seems to be coming up with interesting trends you will not find shown anywhere else.

TGS: I'm sorry about any problem with registering multiple device-buys. I did opt in the poll for 'multiple-choice' but cannot test it because I have not bought a new reader this year and am, thus, not qualified to join the poll myself.

Best wishes everyone, and thanks for a fascinating and unique look at the choices ebook-aware people are making. The more who join us, the more significant the result will be. Slainte. Neil
Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Quite honestly, I can't undertstand the negative comment on this poll. I thought long and hard (and took a little moderator advice) before posting it because I genuinely felt it might be of value in assessing the choice of 'informed' buyers (MR members) over the course of the year.
The original post seemed to be aiming to get a realistic representation of actual sales:
Quote:
Statistics on the sale/popularity of the various ebook-dedicated reading devices out there are notoriously unreliable.

Mobile Read has tens of thousands of members, so I wondered -- as a significant survey base -- if we could find out for sure which readers are ahead.

Sure we can guess: But why not find out for sure?
I think that is what is inspiring the negative reaction. If it had simply been presented as a way of finding out which devices regular MobileRead forum visitors bought, it would have been reacted to differently. This poll will not, and cannot, find out for sure which readers are ahead in general sales.

Quote:
What this poll may show -- if a significant number join in -- is what devices are favoured by those who have at least a nodding acquaintance with ebook-dedicated reading devices and who investigated beyond the popular hype before pulling the trigger -- perhaps many who chose their device on the basis of advice offered her in the 'Which One Should I Buy?' forum at MR from experienced users or those who have already had experience of a range of devices.
Even then, I would imagine that most of the visitors to the which one should I buy forum get the info they need and then don't return. Even those who find the forums to ask specific questions would probably end up in the device-specific forums rather than general discussion. what is left is the group who are interested in the devices, formats and business for its own sake.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #57
neilmarr
neilmarr

Just for interest, at the time of this post, Kindle has been chosen by MR readers this year 55 times, Sony, 62. Kindle against other buys by MR members so far polled shows 55 against 183 respectively.

This is of no commercial interest to anyone, perhaps, but it does show that those in our established community of ebook-interested (presumably somewhat device-savvy) reading folks do not place Kindle at the top of the general market list ... at least not as far as the poll has run so far with nearing 250 participants.

It will be interesting to see how the numbers might swing after Christmas with a guaranteed batch of new device-gifted owners who did not themselves make an informed choice but merely found a reader with their name on it under the Christmas tree.

Cheers. Neil
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #58
neilmarr
neilmarr

Have I done something to offend you MurrayPaul? This poll, I think, is valid. And 250 MR members so far agree with me. If you think otherwise, just ignore it. Let's not get into pointless nit-picking, please. If I (and the other 250 members so far) are in error, I think you and Kali have now made your point. Now why not leave those who are interested to get along with it. No hard feelings and best wishes. Neil
Old 11-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #59
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

And, of course, when Kindle is counted against ALL other devices in this relatively small sampling, it's way behind, when the impression is so often given that it's king of the marketplace.
The same can be said of Sony or any other single device maker when pitted against all the others.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. MobileRead is the defacto home for most owners of Sony devices who participate in device forums. Kindle owners are spread around many different places of which MR is not the most popular (Amazon's own Kindle forum is probably #1, KindleBoards is probably #2 then MR @ #3... that's my guess).

So in the end, this poll is only representative of members of MR who have chosen to vote in this poll. It means nothing outside of that. Sorry.

EDIT: The same can probably be said for the nook as for the Kindle. B&N and nookboards being the main homes for nook owners over MR.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-06-2010 at 10:57 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #60
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The same can be said of Sony or any other single device maker when pitted against all the others.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. MobileRead is the defacto home for most owners of Sony devices who participate in device forums. Kindle owners are spread around many different places of which MR is not the most popular (Amazon's own Kindle forum is probably #1, KindleBoards is probably #2 then MR @ #3... that's my guess).

So in the end, this poll is only representative of members of MR who have chosen to vote in this poll. It means nothing outside of that. Sorry.

EDIT: The same can probably be said for the nook as for the Kindle. B&N and nookboards being the main homes for nook owners over MR.
Maybe, but my Kindle is my primary device now and I still prefer MR over Kindleboards.

(Although I do go to Kindleboards if I'm trying to buy something Kindle related -- I've bought several covers there.)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote