Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
A comprehensive compilation of legal free ebook sites can be found here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...oks-online.htm
Thanks for the link. I've had a brief look, and am impressed.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #17
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Alex, you're welcome. Earlier this week I came across a news article that also has a great up-to-date list of free eBook sites: http://www.learnu.org/calling-all-bo...-free-e-books/
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #18
roset
roset began at the beginning.

Device: phone
Angry hmmmm

I found that app a while back, and wondered if its content was legitimate. I sent them an email asking, and they sent back about ad supported so I figured they were paying royalties and gathering together free books, I guess I don't really understand how ad supported things are supposed to work after all.
So now it sounds like they were really pirates all along?
Wow.

I don't even remember what all books I read, to even try giving the authors their proper payments
Guess I'll be hanging out in amazon quite a while looking for names I remember so I can buy them.....
*sigh*

And even more confusing, their layout was much better than Amazon's with its gigantic font so I had a bunch of amazon and other purchased books that I hunted for in e-print studio, plus free ones from other places, plus there were a bunch of my really old print books I found in e format, plus a bunch that I know are public domain, so I don't think I'll ever figure out what went where. What a mess.
roset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #19
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Roset, I'm not sure what "app" you're referring to but the two links I provided are websites, not apps, and have compiled extensive lists of other websites to download free, legal eBooks. Perhaps some of the sites listed have violated copyright laws in some jurisdictions, since copyright varies so much from country to country, but to the best of my knowledge based on the sites I've visited from these lists, all the eBooks I've seen were either in public domain or were expressly authorized for sharing under Creative Commons licenses.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Roset, I'm not sure what "app" you're referring to
Presumably the one in the initial post in the thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Alex, you're welcome. Earlier this week I came across a news article that also has a great up-to-date list of free eBook sites: http://www.learnu.org/calling-all-bo...-free-e-books/
Thanks again
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #22
Laurenes
Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for both of you links jscarbo, very useful collection of free eBooks
Laurenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One site they mention in the article is Wattpad which has a free App for Android/Kindle Fire access available via Amazon. Amazon US
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #24
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I've been doing some more research into the Viggle site, and their maximum points-per-day has been temporarily (since September) raised from 6000 to 12000. Over the past week, I've been hitting that cap pretty frequently - there are sites that share bonus-point notifications - which means it takes a little over two days to earn enough points for an average current-release book.

Yes, their selection's a bit limited, and I hope it expands soon, but I can't complain about the price! I've got a list of seven Cthulhu Mythos books flagged, and I plan to get any future HarperCollins books there.

ETA: Oh, Hachette's joined the party! Sweet; now I can get my Orbit EPUB 3 books without having to worry about whether Kobo'll let me download 'em...

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 02-16-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #25
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Another one I've not seen mentioned ... bookbub.com - you can select free ones and it will give you freebies (often time limited) that are on 1 or more of Kindle/Kobo/Nook/Apple.

Some are tasters and an awful lot are book 1 of a serial.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another is free-ebooks.net.
They have both free and paid membership plans for access to their works. The books are submitted by the authors themselves so it should be that none of the books are illegal.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #27
jscarbo
Addict

For classic SF fans, I've recently discovered a new website I like a lot, Phoenix Pick. If you scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page, they have a link to sign up for a monthly free ebook offer. Some of the past offers have been great and they also offer discount bundles from time to time. It's worth checking out.

Here's the link to their homepage: http://www.phoenixpick.com/

And here's their current free book and their discount bundle offer: http://www.phoenixpick.com/botm/Cook.htm

Last edited by jscarbo; 02-27-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For classic SF fans, I've recently discovered a new website I like a lot, Phoenix Pick. If you scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page, they have a link to sign up for a monthly free ebook offer. Some of the past offers have been great and they also offer discount bundles from time to time. It's worth checking out.

Here's the link to their homepage: http://www.phoenixpick.com/

And here's their current free book and their discount bundle offer: http://www.phoenixpick.com/botm/Cook.htm
It is well known here at MR. They do have some good books I agree.