Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
mareksuski
mareksuski began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Store
Question ePub doc created with Calibre is not showing polish characters in iRiver Story

Hi,

I am new user of Calibre and of IRiver Story device.

What I was trying to do, is to convert a word document with polish characters into ePUB document. I know that Calibre does not support Word documents so I have exported content of the document as HTML (Save As -> "Web Page, Filtered (*.htm, *.html)" format). HTML page was coded with charset=utf-8. After that I have imported it into Calibre with "HTML to ZIP" pluging set to UTF-8. Then before converting book into epub I have set up in "Convert" window the "Input character encoding" aslo to utf-8. ePUB document was created successfully. After I have copied that document and open in iRiver Store all the polish charcaters were not displayed properly.

Maybe you will know what is wrong?

Best regards,

Marek
mareksuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Does the Iriver Story have the fonts necessary to display Polish characters?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
mareksuski

It has, I have create a simple TXT file with polish characters and I have saved it as UTF-8. All polish characters were displayed properly.

Marek
Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

does the epub file display correctly on your computer with the calibre viewer?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
mareksuski

Yes, calibre viewer shows polish characters properly
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Probably a <meat> tag problem. Can you attach the epub to a ticket and I'll have a look at it
Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
mareksuski

Sure, I have created ticket #4176. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Semp
Enthusiast
Semp doesn't litterSemp doesn't litter

Device: EZReader packet pro
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareksuski View Post
Hi,

I am new user of Calibre and of IRiver Story device.

What I was trying to do, is to convert a word document with polish characters into ePUB document. I know that Calibre does not support Word documents so I have exported content of the document as HTML (Save As -> "Web Page, Filtered (*.htm, *.html)" format). HTML page was coded with charset=utf-8. After that I have imported it into Calibre with "HTML to ZIP" pluging set to UTF-8. Then before converting book into epub I have set up in "Convert" window the "Input character encoding" aslo to utf-8. ePUB document was created successfully. After I have copied that document and open in iRiver Store all the polish charcaters were not displayed properly.

Maybe you will know what is wrong?

Best regards,

Marek
This is Adobe problem we must wait for fix from Adobe
Używaj innych formatów niestety z EPub jest problem w wielu językach praktycznie prawidłowo wyświetla tylko angielski
Semp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Most probably the problem is the character not being included in the default Adobe font used. You can use an embedded font, but you have to do it manually (it's not difficult), as Calibre cannot do it (yet).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 AM   #10
Vik
Vik began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Confirmation of iRiver Story problem with CE characters

I have the same problem with Czech ebooks (same coding like Polish).

Anyway, IMHO it is not problem of Calibre, but problem of iRiver Story only. I tried the set of free books from Municipal library of Prague (http://www.mlp.cz/karelcapek/). Books should be created by Lexcycle Stanza v. 1.0.0-beta16.

I will ask the iRiver for solution of this problem...
Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
This is Adobe problem we must wait for fix from Adobe
Adobe's default fonts for mobile ADE are not very pretty, and they support a very limited range of characters. However, this isn't Adobe's problem - at least in the sense that a vendor, like iRiver, can replace Adobe's fonts with any other fonts if they want. On the Sony Readers, there is a hack that allows the owner to do this themselves. On several devices now we have found how to reference user provided fonts in the CSS of individual ePubs, see for example Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too! Another option is to embed the font in the ePub, for a recent discussion of this see Esperanto characters?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote