Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Thinking about selling my iLiad

With the DR1000 out, I'm thinking about selling my iLiad. I really don't need 2 e-ink devices, and the new one would be a lot more useful for reading technical documents and writing.

However, I'd like to keep doing porting work and keep improving the device. It would be nice to have the iLiad at home and the DR1000 at work.

So what do you guys think? If I don't, it'll be a few months before I can buy the 1000.

How much could I realistically get for the iLiad? I could offer to customize it with 3rd party programs and helpers...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
With the DR1000 out, I'm thinking about selling my iLiad. I really don't need 2 e-ink devices, and the new one would be a lot more useful for reading technical documents and writing.

However, I'd like to keep doing porting work and keep improving the device. It would be nice to have the iLiad at home and the DR1000 at work.

So what do you guys think? If I don't, it'll be a few months before I can buy the 1000.

How much could I realistically get for the iLiad? I could offer to customize it with 3rd party programs and helpers...
Nonono, you totally missunderstood this, he who has most e-reading devices when he dies, wins. So in other words, hold on to your old Iliad, and save up for the Reader, thats what I'll do anycase, so, I have to wait a few months, no matter. By then we will know the quality and durability of the device, thanks to the "cutting edge" people
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

The problem is that I am one of the early adopters.

I have too many unused devices as it is, so I go for quality over quantity.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
The online auction prices will fall. The old ones of last week are history, will never be as high.
iLiad is a museum piece. The iLiad will disappear in the iRex shop. I don't believe we get a new iLiad firmware.
Maybe you should include a "Adam B. was my previous owner" sticker in auction package. This could boost the price. ;-) "I am rich" for Contentlister maybe should help, too.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Oh no, please keep your iLiad and continue to provide us with good ported software...

Don't fall for this shiny new device, please Think about it: It comes with a 100% perfect software, so there's nothing to tweak or code for you.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
If I could sell my old Iliad for 500€ I'd gladly pay the remaining uprice to get the 1000WS edition. But since my iLiad is now just 9 months old, I don't see me buying the 1000 either anytime too soon, until my iLiad is a few years old... I'm not that rich

(However I got already some co-workers interested into eInk devices. However most decided after trying out my iLiad for a while, its not yet there for them, I'd just be too nosy what they would say about the 1000WS)
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Adam, if your willing to do some more of your amazing work, i am sure, we can work something out.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

If I could get $500 for my iLiad, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. $250 for the difference for the 1000 wouldn't be bad at all.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Adam, if your willing to do some more of your amazing work, i am sure, we can work something out.
Amazing work? Porting and general hackery? I definitely plan to keep doing that.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
herve
Enthusiast
herve began at the beginning.

Device: TungstenC / hopefully iLi
Quote:

Since this iLiad has been used by Adam B. and was the ground for so many great hacks we still use today, I think it's just priceless!

Seriously, couldn't you be offered the DR1000 for, er... critical profesionnal requirements?
herve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
If I could get $500 for my iLiad, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. $250 for the difference for the 1000 wouldn't be bad at all.
We need to start a collection to pay Adam to keep his iLiad.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
We need to start a collection to pay Adam to keep his iLiad.
Or I can start standing next to the highway with a sign.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 AM   #14
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
It took me 6 months to convince myself that I really really REALLY neaded an iliad (3 months ago). 9 months would have been better for this type of pregnancy ;-)

There are 2 Iliads for sale right now at www.marktplaats.nl, someone is offering 300E...
3 for sale on ebay for 400...
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Q: Will any of the new software programs be back ported to the iLiad?
A: No, for this the iLiad and the DR1000 hardware infrastructure differ too much.

Q: Will iRex continue to support the iLiad with new firmware?
A: We will continue to support the iLiad but we have no immediate plans to add new functionalities.

Which pretty much amounts to "shame on you for trusting us to care about your complaints", I suppose.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 09-24-2008 at 09:45 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote