Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #241
sarouge
sarouge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Flash and Discover Bar

I bought a Kobo Arc at Christmas and after a week or so of playing around I am completely happy with it. That graphics are fine - the volume is fine, the battery life is not a problem though as with all android devices playing some games with heavy graphics drains it more quickly; for travelling with wifi turned off and just playing a few light games and reading it lasted more than long enough.

Thanks to this thread I have successfully installed flash from the website indicated above. The latest update did not work with Firefox: all flash objects loaded to a black screen, however the second to last one worked great no glitches at all.

I have also removed the images from the discover bar as indicated above - this worked fine as well (I disconnected from internet, marked all current items as not interested, and then disabled the app). This caused one problem:

With discover disabled, when I created a new tapestry which was created but immediately received a message stating "tapestries has stopped" to which I clicked ok, and everything continued as normal with the new tapestry in place. The same message appeared when I wanted to rename the new tapestry, and although clicking okay allowed me to continue as normal, the tapestry remained unnamed. To name the new tapestry I had to deactivate wi-fi, reactivate discover, name tapestry, then deactivate discover and switch back on internet. It took me longer to type that sentence than it took me to carry out the process, so its not a big deal at all.

Discover in theory is a good idea, but the bar keeps showing me items I have already refused, and the last straw was when it seemed to have fixated itself with the idea that I would like a comic about Mary Magdalene saving the world from aliens, volumes 1 - 1100, and just kept filling up with those despite repeatedly clicking that I, REALLY, am not interested.

I would love to see a feature where the discover bar could be customized, so for example I could have it show me only articles and books, but not music, or only books in English (it keeps showing me italian books because I'm in Italy). It would also be nice to be able to reclaim that space - the Kobo is attractive because of the high screenlastic ratio, but this looses something when I am not in control of such a large portion of my home screen. Maybe they should just change discover into and App, which I can open if I want to easily locate new material (as long as it manages to successfully identify my interests...perhaps through me choosing categories a bit like on stumbleupon...).
sarouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #242
kobo-jen
kobo-jen began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
I am wondering how to transfer a movie from my computer on to the arc. I thought I had transfer it but I could not find it on the Arc. And what type of file should it be.
kobo-jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #243
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo-jen View Post
I am wondering how to transfer a movie from my computer on to the arc. I thought I had transfer it but I could not find it on the Arc. And what type of file should it be.
Hook your Arc up to your computer. If it doesn't open automatically (usually won't), go to Start -> Computer -> Portable Devices -> Arc -> Internal Storage and then to a directory of your choice (I suggest "Movies", in this case, to make it easier to find). Then just drag and drop the file you want from your computer, confirming that you want to copy since Windows will most likely complain that the Arc can't play it (Windows doesn't know what it's talking about :P).

Then it's just a matter of opening the file by going there in a file manager (ES File Explorer's a good one) or, with movies, you can just open up the Gallery and it should be right there if you had placed the movie in the Movies directory.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #244
kobo-jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Hook your Arc up to your computer. If it doesn't open automatically (usually won't), go to Start -> Computer -> Portable Devices -> Arc -> Internal Storage and then to a directory of your choice (I suggest "Movies", in this case, to make it easier to find). Then just drag and drop the file you want from your computer, confirming that you want to copy since Windows will most likely complain that the Arc can't play it (Windows doesn't know what it's talking about :P).

Then it's just a matter of opening the file by going there in a file manager (ES File Explorer's a good one) or, with movies, you can just open up the Gallery and it should be right there if you had placed the movie in the Movies directory.
Does it take a long time to load, it says the movie is loading but its been like 10 minutes now
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #245
kobo-jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo-jen View Post
Does it take a long time to load, it says the movie is loading but its been like 10 minutes now
and when i hit the loading it says video cannot be played, do I have to make it into a mp4 format or something.
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #246
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Ah. Yeah. Might be a format problem. Just after that post, I found one of my videos wouldn't show a thumbnail and just had the loading animation, though it works fine on my desktop.

And changing it to MP4 is unlikely to work - most likely already *IS* MP4. It's other aspects of the codec that's the problem. For example, the video that failed to load for me is showing as "MPEG-4 Video (DX50)", while the other movie on my Arc is working fine, but is an "MPEG-4 Video (XVID)".

Possible solution: Grab "VLC for Android Beta" by "VideoLabs - VideoLAN" off the Play Store. Just tried it and it played the video that the Gallery couldn't.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #247
derita
derita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo arc
Kobo arc BBC Iplayer issue

Having had the arc a few weeks I have been staggered that a quoted "multi media device" does not have Iplayer installed.
I have done a great deal of research and asked the Kobo help desk what te problem is with no real constructive response.

I have discovered that the adobe flash player is no longer available for download for Google play. The BBC suggest loading the BBC media player which I have done but still it will not play the utput form Iplayer.

Any help available for a very frustrated owner
derita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #248
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Flash player loads and works fine on the arc there are a number of links available on the forum. It just doesn't load from the playstore.if you already had an account with goggle and flash was one of your apps you can load it from there. Sadly for me also iPlayer doesnt work. Given the feedback on it I would think the problem lies more with the incompetence of the bbc rather than the arc.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #249
derita

arc BBC iplayer

Thanks for that.

I have loaded the flash app form the forum link and re loaded iplayer still does not work I am afraid.
You are probably right in that the information I have gleaned for the BBC site is that they are playing about with a new player BBC player as a replacement for flash.However with Media player loaded still no good.
I get the BBC Iplayer screen OK and when I click on the program I want it momentary loads the video and immediately goes blank??

Wonder how others find it.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #250
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mine does exactly the same.can see the site and navigate fine.its only when i click to play something that it momentarily loads and then a black screen with no sound. our tv licence fee at work lol. for tv use the app TVCatchup its in the store
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #251
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
mine does exactly the same.can see the site and navigate fine.its only when i click to play something that it momentarily loads and then a black screen with no sound. our tv licence fee at work lol. for tv use the app TVCatchup its in the store
Have you tried tapping the screen again once you're on the black screen? TV.com did the same thing on my old Vox but actually worked when you did that...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #252
stevov
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Have you tried tapping the screen again once you're on the black screen? TV.com did the same thing on my old Vox but actually worked when you did that...
I seem to remember trying it but will reload the apps later on and try again. Cheers for the tip.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #253
derita

kobo arc bbc iplayer

Tried tapping the screen but no good, checked sound only and that does not work either

Thanks for help.

I have emailed Kobo but its like pulling teeth. Will try bbc
Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #254
andreib
andreib began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch
Slow charging with Arc switched off

Hi, anyone noticed the very long charging times when the Arc is switched off? Is this normal behavior (and if so, why) ?

Thanks!
andreib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #255
derita

charging time

Sorry I have not taken much notice as I just put it on charge when required and usually it has not been shut down