Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
That's a debatable point. What is not debatable, however, is that the screen of the GlowLight is apparently less durable than other eReaders and tablets, which is a mark against it. One report on the forum suggested that even minor scratches can be a significant problem.
Only two incidents reported about GlowLight. How about regular one? Were many broken, too?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
That's a debatable point.
Seriously? You'd consider dropping a remote on a screen "normal" use? It's an accident, not normal use. What is debatable is whether the device should survive it.

Last edited by afv011; 06-15-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Only two incidents reported about GlowLight. How about regular one? Were many broken, too?
There's this, from a user on the forum indicating that even minor scratches can be significant problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=124

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 06-16-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #19
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Seriously? You'd consider dropping a remote on a screen "normal" use? It's an accident, not normal use. What is debatable is whether the device should survive it.
Whether you consider it normal wear and tear is beside the point. The fact is that the GlowTouch was not able to survive a minor knock that any other eReader and tablet would survive without a scratch.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #20
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Whether you consider it normal wear and tear is beside the point. The fact is that the GlowTouch was not able to survive a minor knock that any other eReader and tablet would survive without a scratch.
Mine fell two days ago from the coffee table on the marble floor, directly on the display. No scratch, nothing, not a zilch of a change in it. I am observing this (since sometimes the display does not show the signs immediately) but I am starting to wonder whether "all" those complaints were :
- that many really ?
- that bad really ?
- that real really ?

I personnally do not play Knucklebones with a bundle of keys over any kind of display just for the fun of it, but then neither would I list Jackass as the best TV program that was ever made, as I suspect some of you here do.
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Falling facedown onto the floor is unlikely to make direct contact with the screen.

Don't misunderstand me, I love the idea and design of the GlowTouch and was reaching for my wallet first time I learned of it, but for the moment, I want to wait and see if screen damage becomes a prevalent issue for owners in the months ahead. If my concerns turn out to be unfounded then I will happily reach for my wallet again.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #22
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
I'm not sure any eInk reader from any manufacturer is going to survive having a remote dropped on it. I'm not interested in sacrificing any of my Kindles or Sonys to find out, though. Also, I've been using my Nook Glowlight for over a month now with no issues.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I visited the local store, had a good try. Although I ordered one, I am still on the fence.
Under the bright light, with low Glow setting on, the background did look whiter. I put a coat over my head, making it a real dark room experience -- a few scratches and nicks did stand out just like those photos in a blog (one nick jumped out, very bright), that truly annoyed me. My eyes are very light sensitive. I don't think I will use the Glow as only light source, because it gave me a hint of dizzy spell.
All my readers have either clear or matte screen protector, they all have some bubbles under it -- when I shined a light and find a good angel, most of bubbles and glare are easily forgiven.
Maybe I should wait until July, hopefully Sony and Amazon will announce their new products.

Last edited by david8866; 06-16-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Mine fell two days ago from the coffee table on the marble floor, directly on the display. No scratch, nothing, not a zilch of a change in it. I am observing this (since sometimes the display does not show the signs immediately) but I am starting to wonder whether "all" those complaints were :
- that many really ?
- that bad really ?
- that real really ?

I personnally do not play Knucklebones with a bundle of keys over any kind of display just for the fun of it, but then neither would I list Jackass as the best TV program that was ever made, as I suspect some of you here do.

So Glad yours if ok fine. I hope the new glow light is as durable as the Simple touch. Hope we soon see video of the durability or lack of soon.

Of course we all try to be careful with our e readers, sadly, things happen. When u have kids, even more things happen .

Time will tell.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #25
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
So Glad yours if ok fine. I hope the new glow light is as durable as the Simple touch. Hope we soon see video of the durability or lack of soon.

Of course we all try to be careful with our e readers, sadly, things happen. When u have kids, even more things happen .

Time will tell.
Well, we have here a K4NT, a prs-t1, other readers and tablets, and we have young and older kids too (we also have cars, but I am not sure they are relevant to the discussion, or do you want to bring that up too?). Normal measures of security and discipline, which we here call "raising up children" have worked very well for us so far. You should try that.

The nook ST GL is not more or less fragile than, say, the prs-t1. Or than the nook ST, for what it's worth.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm not sure any eInk reader from any manufacturer is going to survive having a remote dropped on it. I'm not interested in sacrificing any of my Kindles or Sonys to find out, though. Also, I've been using my Nook Glowlight for over a month now with no issues.
My primary concern is that even moderate scratches do not significantly affect the usability of current eReaders and tablets whereas the usability of the GlowTouch is significantly impacted.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My primary concern is that even moderate scratches do not significantly affect the usability of current eReaders and tablets whereas the usability of the GlowTouch is significantly impacted.
I don't have even light scratches on any of my eInk devices, and Dog knows I've had a lot of them. I treat all of them like the fragile glass devices they are.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #28
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Well, even as obsessively careful with my eReaders as I am, I managed to put a hole in the Glowlight screen just now. I was plugging the USB cable into the Nook and the little micro connector end bounced lightly off the screen and left a little hole in the corner. It's still completely usable, but not pristine anymore. I'll try to get B&N to replace it this week, and I'm going to look for another way to load the microSD card from now on. It's really a shame, because this is the first Nook that I've actually liked. I hope the Amazon version is considerably sturdier if/when it's released.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #29
gidgiddonihah
gidgiddonihah began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I haven't got a case yet, but I got mine two days ago. I baby every device I have. When I take my netbook into class (I do not trust my laptop), I wrap it in a small towel, a wool blanket, and then put it in a plastic bag. After the plastic bag it goes into the backpack. Extreme? I have had the thing for 3 years, its white, and doesn't have a mark.

(Edit) Point I am trying to make is this: if you own a device and don't bother to take care of it (You don't have to be as extreme as me, as I border on obsessive , but at least get a case!), you are asking to damage it and you can't blame the device manufacture for your own stupidity. Never dropped keys onto my devices, and can't see how you would, even if it was an accident.

Last edited by gidgiddonihah; 06-24-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Read the post above. Apparently even a light tap from a falling micro-USB plug was enough to mar the GlowLight screen. I understand the need to treat electronics with reasonable care, but that is simply way too fragile. I suppose if you are ultra obsessive then you might be fine, but taking extreme measures like wrapping the device in several layers of fabric before stowing it goes far beyond what I would call "reasonable care".
Closed Thread