Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
davros
davros began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v.1 and Kobo Aura HD
symlink/shortcut workaround

Hi

I have a load of pdfs related to what I'm currently working on sorted into folders by topic. On my desktop computer I also have the same selection sorted (via a script) by year and author for easier access away from my database app . . .

So I want to carry this collection around in my iLiad e.g. on a CF card but instead of having 3 copies as above I planned to use symlinks in the author (A-Z) and year (2002, 2003 etc.) folders pointing to the actual pdfs in the topic folders.

The first thing I did was format the CF card to ext2 (I had to do this on the iLiad according Scotty1024's instructions as the iLiad didn't like the formatting done by my openSuSE 10.2 box ) but the contentlister doesn't seem able to view symlinks as noted by someone else in the forums (you'll need a .sh script to mount it manually if you do this).

Next I tried putting one line shell scripts in instead of symlinks: ipdf '/media/cf/Papers/Topics/<topic>/<title>.pdf'

This launches ipdf and loads the document but the page turn bar doesn't work (selecting page with stylus does) and on exit the screen doesn't refresh to the contentlister leaving the last viewed page visible with contentlister icons.

I was wondering if anyone with a more intimate knowledge of ipdf or bash scripts knows of a solution (working directory? clean exit?) . . . or if anyone has come with an alternative workaround (manifest.xml? - not sure what that does yet).

Thanks!

Dave

PS You community developers are AWESOME . My iLiad is my favourite toy again as I only recently came back to these forums after a year to find a truck load of apps. Thanks! Power to the open-source movement. If you want an example of good hardware (like the iLiad) crippled by the locked software/firmware (unlike the iLiad) check out the new Creative Zen (slave to M$ although I hear there are stirrings in the RockBox world).
davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
did you try hard links?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert