Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which cloud service are you preferring?
Amazon Web Services 11 11.96%
iCloud 6 6.52%
DropBox 53 57.61%
Sugarsync 7 7.61%
Skydrive 2 2.17%
Did I miss your one? Don't forget to submit a reply! 13 14.13%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #31
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I'd probably do Dropbox for personal docs and Amazon for media.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
"None of the above"

I download my books to my PC, therefore ignoring Amazon's cloud, and just updated my iphone to the newest IOS so have not used icloud as yet, nor would I know what to do with it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #33
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I keep a couple hard drive backups. My amazon stuff is on amazon's cloud by default, but I download all of it anyway.

I have a few problems with clouds. First is bandwidth. I have a 5gb cap on data transfers. And I have about 80gb of music - even if I used up my whole month's allotment of data transfer every month on it, it would take forever to get all my music loaded into any cloud. Second, I want my stuff where I can always get it, no worries if the company goes out of business or their servers go down. Third, I don't like the privacy implications. Not that I care who sees what music I have - but for other stuff.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I use Carbonite online backup on my main desktop computer. Its old, has all my files, would rather not lose them. Even though I periodically backup on to an external hard drive, I don't do it often enough. With Carbonite I can go to any of my other computers and log in and search and download to another computer.
I'm also using Carbonite, but I'm a bit wary of the whole idea of off-site storage, having been burned once by using another company. That company was Hewett-Packard, a name trusted because I felt they had a solid reputation and wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon. Needless to say, I was quite surprised when they discontinued their service. But at least they gave their customers some warning and some time to transfer their files off their servers.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #35
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I still think Sugarsync has much more useful features. Right now I sync between my Scrivener Writings folder on my laptop and desktop (I probably can do something similar by placing my scrivener projects in the Dropbox folder on both computers, perhaps?) and whenever I work on my writing on my laptop, it gets synced to my desktop, and vice versa. I guess it's because I started on Sugarsync after reading about this feature, but I find Dropbox clunkier because I have to work out of the Dropbox folder rather than just designating the folders I want to sync. But Dropbox does have better compatibility with some mobile apps as I pointed out, like ebook reading apps*.. I just hope Sugarsync can catch up and keep up, because Dropbox seems like the clear popular choice!

*ETA: I figured out what the issue is with Sugarsync's app and opening files in certain readers. It's a weird bug, but basically Sugarsync defines the "Open in [Default App]" by going through the list of ebook reading apps on your phone alphabetically. So initially the default app was "iBooks" and I had the option of selecting "Open in..." and expanding the list to other apps, but only iBooks, the "default" app would open the epub file. Once iBooks has the file, Sugarsync defaulted the epub file to the next epub reading app, in alphabetical order, Kobo. at that point, Kobo could open the epub. But until Sugarsync thinks it's the "default" app rather than one of the "Open in..." list, Sugarsync won't connect to the app properly. So if I had only one epub reading app, which would be the case if Stanza weren't getting dumped permanently (I'm testing a ton of ereading apps trying to replace Stanza.. so far, not happy about my choices), there would be no problem (not that that's an excuse, the bug does need to be fixed). I have been posting on Sugarsync's forums to see if there is a fix for the issue. Probably no one wanted to read a wall of text about the issue, sorry!

Last ETA: After some back and forth on the Sugarsync forums, I've been notified that their iOS engineer has figured out the bug and it will be fixed in the next update. I'm really excited and happy about the Customer Service. I know I sound like a nutcase but I really do like Sugarsync's features and hope it does well. Dropbox is SO well-known but Sugarsync not as much, yet.

Last edited by seajewel; 10-18-2011 at 01:58 AM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #36
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
None, my little FreeBSD vps does hosting(a few pages, mercurial, mail) and stores whatever I need to have on devices. $15 per month for 40gb/2tb and decent specs on the rest. I'd never store backups anywhere that I don't have physical access - so they live on two little hdd's which get synced every two weeks.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #37
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
No clouds for this old dog. I've worked in the industry for 35 years and don't trust anyone's backup but my own.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #38
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
As a writer, I email all my updated work to myself on a daily basis. I also save it on USB sticks.

I'd heard the phrase cloud, but thought it applied to the net in general. I didn't realize there were actual cloud companies, and to me it smells like something that is bound to go very wrong.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I don't have a problem with Cloud storage but I wouldn't use them as a primary backup. I'm old school. I backup everything to discs twice.

Hard Drives fail even ones not so old. I had to replace my hard drive this last week after it failed and it wasn't even two years old. It use to be a hard drive lasted 5 years or more. Not so it seems ever other year I have to get a new drive now. Western Digital isn't what it use to be So the more backup copies of your data the better. As for privacy. I wouldn't trust cloud storage for important things but for ebooks, music and transferring between PCs it works great!

I do have externals and they saved me heartbreak this week as I was able to get my stuff backed up before my drive went kaput.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:09 AM   #40
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just started using Google's Calendar and GMail Contacts so that my Android and PC are in "sync" because the data is stored in Google's cloud.

I resisted this, but found it was the only viable way to go at the moment with Android.

As for personal files, I store nothing in the cloud. I use only local hard drives (including an OpenFiler NAS) and SD cards.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #41
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah right I'm gonna trust some website with personal data. please tell me where I can send my address, credit card info, bank account info, voting preferences and so on, on some website run by people whose Identities or faces I ignore. And I take what ? their word that they will keep this private.

Big Brother is watching you guys, shame on it, but you willingly giving in to that, shame on you.

Edit: on the Dropbox website, it seems you have to download an application to your computer so that the info on your computer can be sent to the cloud. They call it an application, I call it a Trojan ...

Last edited by Quexos; 10-16-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #42
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I've read this somewhere, but isn't there some concern with the amount of traffic that constant/daily uploads to clouds and on-line storage will put on the whole structure?

Or are they just anticipating a lot of traffic as people upload their basic stashes and the rest will just be smaller incremental files?

And is anyone concerned about their data limits being hit by constantly hitting the cloud for things? I have an Iphone 4, old style, and haven't reached my monthly dataplan limit, but I wondered about it on vacation and we were GPSing constantly. I'm not sure we would have made it under our limit if we didn't carry a lot of our entertainment on the device itself.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I've read this somewhere, but isn't there some concern with the amount of traffic that constant/daily uploads to clouds and on-line storage will put on the whole structure?
I fail to see how there couldn't be major concern on that front. Especially as we move closer and closer to a scenario where every single key-press or screen-touch results in network traffic being generated/received.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #44
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post

Or are they just anticipating a lot of traffic as people upload their basic stashes and the rest will just be smaller incremental files?

And is anyone concerned about their data limits being hit by constantly hitting the cloud for things? I have an Iphone 4, old style, and haven't reached my monthly dataplan limit, but I wondered about it on vacation and we were GPSing constantly. I'm not sure we would have made it under our limit if we didn't carry a lot of our entertainment on the device itself.
GPS itself uses the GPS satellites, nothing to do with data limits just like any GPS... mapping can hit but the data load shouldn't be particularly high for that...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:13 AM   #45
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
If you have access to a .edu email account they double your referral bonus space.

I've been using Dropbox for a couple of years and totally missed the double referral bonus for edu accounts. I just changed my dropbox account to my University email account, jumped through this hoop to verify my address and my Dropbox Basic account (free version) total available space jumped from 10.25 gigs to 18.25 gigs.

Karma to you!

Update: It now seems that changing my account to my edu email address wasn't necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dropbox.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	77895  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-17-2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: added step
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, data, data in the cloud, documents in the cloud, library, mobile, online storage, personal, virtual storage