Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
The Edges Durability

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you all could gather around and tell the tale(s) of your possible Edge injuries throughout the time you have had your edge(s). By injuries, I mean physical damage. I am one of the wooters that snagged a PE and hope to get a EE someday. I was wondering how much the lil guys can take, so if anyone can help me out by explaining how their or someone they knew's edges had either been killed or mortally wounded, it would be much appreciated. Even if you can tell me how many times you have dropped it or perhaps the time you dropped it onto a tile floor and had a heart attack; I'm just looking for durability claims. Also water resistance or damage would be helpful.

Thank you all in advance for some help (or a thread forward if I missed a previous thread that covered this information)

Mokel
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I always keep my PE as safe as possible... though one time it accidentally hit the corner of a door while I was shutting it and there is now a REALLY tiny little scratch mark on one of the corners of the PE, though unless you try really hard and know where to look you wouldn't find anything.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
ken_jennings
eDGe User
ken_jennings has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
My EE has slid off furniture (24 inches to 36 inches) on to carpeted floor a couple times. Didn't notice damage then. Otherwise, I've tried to treat it like a baby. The outside of the case is scratched and starting to wear in places from being put into/taken out of protective carry cases.

I have noticed the plastic between the buttons on the eInk size is cracked. Don't know when that happened. It appears there is too little plastic there, and the case can flex enough to stress it when pressing buttons. I've heard they made the buttons smaller on the PE, so there is more plastic/strength in the case at those points.

Last edited by ken_jennings; 06-16-2011 at 03:10 PM.
ken_jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
"The outside of the case is scratched and starting to wear in places from being put into/taken out of protective carry cases..."

That sort of defeats the purpose of a PROTECTIVE case, doesn't it?
What color is the case where it is worn?

Personally, I'd like to enjoy my PE until it dies a natural death, so I keep it SAFE. I don't remove the micro-SD card, use only the stylus on the screens and carry it in a padded bag designed for a 12"-14" laptop. I'm happy to say there isn't a mark, scratch or break on it anywhere.

I don't know how long that will last, but even with the "market dance", I still like the PE and I'm still finding more uses for it each day. In retrospect, I'd have to say that I would have gladly accepted a little more weight if the outer case had been like an aluminum "Zero Centurion". But that might have inhibited the WiFi antenna.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
There were a couple of stories in the old forum (archived here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=242) about breakage. I remember one person broke a screen and was trying to get it replaced. Someone else in this forum (jackr??) lost the backlight on his LCD somehow. Cheyennedonna had something disastrous happen to her year-old EE (old forum).

I am like the others and keep my eDGes as safe as I can: screen protectors on all screens (old forum: someone ripped a screen with his stylus), skins on all outer and some inner surfaces and a padded carry bag for when I'm out and about. Still, I worry when I pick up my PE one-handed or tuck it firmly under my arm and hear the plastic "pop" a little.

Just bought an EE -- having fun shopping for a skin.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
ken_jennings
eDGe User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
"The outside of the case is scratched and starting to wear in places from being put into/taken out of protective carry cases..."

That sort of defeats the purpose of a PROTECTIVE case, doesn't it?
What color is the case where it is worn?
So far none of the wear on the blue case is deep enough to show anything other than blue. Slowly, the edge is turning from glossy to matte, which it should have been all along.

The grey on the hinge appears to be just paint over white plastic.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I've dropped mine a couple times. The paint is not the best material, so some of the gray has chipped off and has been replaced by nasty white plastic. The hardware itself seems quite durable, though. One of its falls was from a considerable distance, and it still seems to operate just fine.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

my stylus has put 4 scratches in the tablet screen since I got it from the woot. I have a couple scratches on the outside, I think one is from when I fell asleep while reading it then pushed it off the bed in my sleep and it fell to the hardwood floor. When I grabbed it from under the bed it slid some and there was some grit that I think scratched it. But it didn't appear to have issues from that fall. I got a sleeve to protect the ports in my purse since that's where it lives.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Has anyone else had issues with the stylus putting scratches in the screen? Or does pyxiwulf need to cut back on the espresso?
Maybe there was grit on the screen that got pushed across the screen by the stylus?
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Has anyone else had issues with the stylus putting scratches in the screen? Or does pyxiwulf need to cut back on the espresso?
Maybe there was grit on the screen that got pushed across the screen by the stylus?
The stylus has never done this to mine, unless there were little bits of grit. At that point I would feel them and try to blow them away and wipe off the stylus. There is no collateral damage so far.

In addition, thanks for the responses guys, the reason for this post is, I am loving everything about my PE, except the e-ink. I've been using it for textbooks and really needing to squint to get the words on that tiny screen. I was thinking about an EE upgrade for an extra $100, but need some convincing (or a lower price). I realize now that it will be harder to get the water damage and breaking information since people who's edges have broken would probably have given up, but I want to make sure I'll get at least a good 5 years out of an EE if I'm looking into getting one. Is there anything else any of youz guyz can tell me to sway my opinion either way (help will be thanked royally).
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #11
Franky
Nameless Being

I didn't shower yet with my eDGe, but a nice bad was no problem.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Hi Mokel, all I can say is that my EE (full size) gets thrown in my tool case, shifted by engineers trying to assemble equipment - and used by them reading the manuals and so far has continued working without problems, apart from wiping oily finger prints off the outside (it's white and they show up on that too much).

For me it is a tool to do a job - before I used a Kindle DX and a notebook computer - now I have those in one device.

I would say go ahead and get an EE you won't be disappointed.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Quote:
Nope, actually one of the scratches was my stupid self testing since I couldn't see anyway to have done it, and the stylus scratched it. I've since realized there's a spot on the stylus that must be microscopically rough and I don't hold it so that part touches anymore.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
My PE suffered the WSOD and had to be returned for repair. The last thing I remember doing before Hibernating was folding the PE like a triangle with the LCD facing me, I did notice that it seemed a little warmer than normal when I hibernated it. I'm pretty sure they changed out the MB when repairing it because it came back with a different MAC address, but the same serial number.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
ken_jennings
eDGe User

No. I don't have any scratches, certainly nothing large enough to visibly mar the LCD display when turned on, or the eInk screen.

I avoid touching either display with my fingers, and I clean them frequently. Yes, that means I mostly use only the stylus on the LCD size. I don't understand why people like to touch displays with their fingers. After mild use there's so much greasy schmutz on it the display becomes fuzzy. Eww.

(and I hate it when people point things out on my computer's LCD monitor and actually touch the screen leaving fingerprints behind. ...must restrain fist of death...)

So, keep the screens clean then there won't be dirt for the stylus to drag around and cause scratches.

Tags
durability, entourage edge