Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Pocket Pro--a couple of discoveries

Maybe its just that I don't read manuals anymore, but I was surprised when I pushed the thumbwheel IN -- and the menu opened as if I had hit the menu button. I guess it will be useful sometimes.

Less fun is that it seems that connecting the Pocket Pro to a USB port is spotty when the keyboard lock is on. The correct message comes up, but pressing the "OK" key does nothing, so you can't connect to the computer. I guess it really locks to whole keyboard!!
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
That's great to know, slm! I hope that others will post their discoveries here as well.

It's not clear to me whether you read the manual. What do you think of it?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Actually I did read it, but its pretty skimpy.
Adequate but far from complete.
Mostly I played with the menus and such.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Please try the FAQ sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Actually I did read it, but its pretty skimpy.
Adequate but far from complete.
Mostly I played with the menus and such.
Dear SLM:

Astak finds that User Manuals always change before the device is released.

Try the FAQ sheet on: www.theEZreader.com. You will find it under support. We are still working on it... but I think you will find it helpful!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear SLM:

Astak finds that User Manuals always change before the device is released.

Try the FAQ sheet on: www.theEZreader.com. You will find it under support. We are still working on it... but I think you will find it helpful!!
Robert, at least a couple of us are finding that the pocket pro is much slower to turn pages (using the manual as a baseline) than others. Mine takes about 1.8 seconds to turn pages, while SLM reported his took under a second.... Can you try some tests with the devices you have in hand?
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Could the slow response be related to the people who have not had a chance to charge, and cycle, the battery several times. Remember, as all of you have been stating, you need to charge it for 12 hours, then cycle the charging several times before the batter monitor catches up. Could this be related to the sluggish response?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Could the slow response be related to the people who have not had a chance to charge, and cycle, the battery several times. Remember, as all of you have been stating, you need to charge it for 12 hours, then cycle the charging several times before the batter monitor catches up. Could this be related to the sluggish response?
i thought it could be a possibility, but I this point I can't tell since I've had it for less than 3 hours :P
Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
you are driving me crazy, I posted about the slowness in three threads and you posted the same question in all there, then I answered in one of them but when I looked at the other two I said to my self, din't I reply to that already? :lol;
Old 09-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
you are driving me crazy, I posted about the slowness in three threads and you posted the same question in all there, then I answered in one of them but when I looked at the other two I said to my self, din't I reply to that already? :lol;
Hey AJ! The plan is working! Keep it up! I do not think he suspects anything yet! heeheehee
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
My moto is: "Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance."
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Try the FAQ sheet on: www.theEZreader.com. You will find it under support.
Note that Q.How do I find my PID number? is obsolete and should be removed (or updated). The "PID" is for MOBI DRM which is no longer supported.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
TTS in English sounds pretty mechanical. Also, it reads until the end of the page, pauses for 3 seconds (part of which is displaying the next page), then resumes reading.

Also, the case is nice, but I wish it either had notches above the left page-turn buttons or that those buttons are a bit recessed. I've found that having the case closed and the keyboard unlocked makes it easy to accidentally turn the page when you carry the device by gripping the spine of the case.

Last edited by Egbert; 09-05-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that Q.How do I find my PID number? is obsolete and should be removed (or updated). The "PID" is for MOBI DRM which is no longer supported.
This is important information for those who do not plan on upgrading the firmware. It should stay, IMO.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
A very nice touch that I found: if you accidentally switch the language of the GUI, you can still navigate back to switch, since the relevant menu choices (Settings->Language) are also displayed in English (alongside the native words).

There is one thing that is slightly disappointing for multilingual readers: it seems that the GUI can't display non-Latin (like Chinese) characters in the filename when it's set to English. I haven't tried out other combinations except for Chinese and Japanese though (both can display English without problems).
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
This is important information for those who do not plan on upgrading the firmware. It should stay, IMO.
That might make sence for the basic but not for the Pocket Pro which comes without Mobi DRM support. I wish they would have separate FAQs for the two different readers or at least some way to show this only applies for the Pocket Pro while that only applies for the basic.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote