Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
wolf30
wolf30 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Borderless tables in kindle?

Is it possible to have borderless tables in your kindle mobi files?

In my word document my tables show up as borderless, however when I try to preview it using the kindle previewer, there are now grey borders around my tables which is very frustrating. If I change it to have borders then its black borders. Is there a way to format it in word so that there are no borders when I upload my document to be converted to the kindle mobi format?
wolf30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf30 View Post
Is it possible to have borderless tables in your kindle mobi files?

In my word document my tables show up as borderless, however when I try to preview it using the kindle previewer, there are now grey borders around my tables which is very frustrating. If I change it to have borders then its black borders. Is there a way to format it in word so that there are no borders when I upload my document to be converted to the kindle mobi format?
I am not expert in creating eBooks from Word, but I am in creating them in HTML. As far as I know, there is no way to force the borderless issue, only using Word, but if you can learn a bit of code/markup, you can fairly easily do that using HTML and CSS.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
kso
Enthusiast
kso began at the beginning.

Device: Android, iPad, iPod, kindle {keyboard,fire7,hdx8.9} kobo, Sony PRS 600
If the book is mobi _only_ do
Code:
<table border=0>
. If not, do it in your CSS:

Code:
table {border:none;border-collapse:collapse;}
kso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
If the book is mobi _only_ do
Code:
<table border=0>
. If not, do it in your CSS:

Code:
table {border:none;border-collapse:collapse;}
S/he is working in Word, not HTML.

Hitch
Old 06-22-2018, 01:34 AM   #5
wolf30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I am not expert in creating eBooks from Word, but I am in creating them in HTML. As far as I know, there is no way to force the borderless issue, only using Word, but if you can learn a bit of code/markup, you can fairly easily do that using HTML and CSS.

Hitch
Can I edit the document in word somehow to incorporate the html or css code to the file and then convert it to the mobi format?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Can I edit the document in word somehow to incorporate the html or css code to the file and then convert it to the mobi format?
You can use the STYLES. That's pretty much all you can do. Presumably, you're doing that now, is that right? Are you creating a special style, for the table?

Hitch
Old 06-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
kso
Enthusiast

Quote:
S/he is working in Word, not HTML.

Hitch
Because s/he said "I am not expert in creating eBooks from Word, but I am in creating them in HTML" I assumed it'd make sense to export from word - which I don't use (linux only) to HTML, making the changes where they're not interfered with.

klaus
Old 06-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Because s/he said "I am not expert in creating eBooks from Word, but I am in creating them in HTML" I assumed it'd make sense to export from word - which I don't use (linux only) to HTML, making the changes where they're not interfered with.

klaus
Klaus:

That was me, not the poster. :-)

Hitch
Old 06-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
wolf30

Quote:
You can use the STYLES. That's pretty much all you can do. Presumably, you're doing that now, is that right? Are you creating a special style, for the table?

Hitch
No I'm not. I'm only doing that for the headers and the text. I didn't know you could do that also for tables. Let me try.

Update: I just tried creating a new table style and selecting no borders and saving it. When I apply the new style and try to preview it in the kindle viewer all of the borders are added back. Man, this is so frustrating.

Last edited by wolf30; 06-22-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
No I'm not. I'm only doing that for the headers and the text. I didn't know you could do that also for tables. Let me try.

Update: I just tried creating a new table style and selecting no borders and saving it. When I apply the new style and try to preview it in the kindle viewer all of the borders are added back. Man, this is so frustrating.
Yeah, I'm sorry--you're going to have to create an ePUB, crack that open in Sigil or in the Calibre ePUB editor, and tweak the code. I'm sorry, i wish I could tell you some magic way to do it in Word, but there's a reason that those of us who make more-complex books do it in code.

if you make the ePUB, find the applicable coding, and then pop back in with it here, we'll all pitch in to address it for you.

:-)

Hitch
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 AM   #11
kso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Klaus:

That was me, not the poster. :-)

Hitch
Arrrgh - lack of coffee. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
:-) I know the feeling.

Hitch
Old 06-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
There is never enough Coffee
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote